• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More Competition in Milwaukee for Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Max, I would not take that bet. It is way too likely that TPG/NW drops its offer before the 31 and we end up with Midwest anyway. But for MUCH cheaper.
I hope so. I think that would be best for both groups.

Not slamming anyone here, but how did MEH do in Q4 and year over year. If they were way off projections from when the deal was made, I wonder if TPG/NWA are having second thoughts, especially at $90 oil.

There are a couple things. TPG/NWA is probably realizing they paid WAY too much and NWA now has other things on their plate to worry about. I bet they back out of the deal before the DOJ rules on the deal.

I believe this expansion out of Milwaukee is not about Midwest but AirTran establishing a good base for its east-west network. Before ATA went into Ch. 11, they had good loads from BOS, LGA, DCA connecting through Midway to SEA, SFO, LAX, PHX, and LAS. But ATA was using larger aircraft (757 and 737-800) and AirTran will be flying the same routes with smaller 737-700 aircraft. Why MKE and not MDW? I believe not having to go head to head with Southwest was a big factor. The only aircraft at the moment that can compete with AirTran on those west coast routes out of Milwaukee are Midwest MD-80s. The head to head competition between the MD-80 and 737-700 at high energy prices, well the 737-700 will win everytime. AirTran is testing these new markets during the busy summer season. If they do well, the routes will become year round. More cities will be added...DFW, DEN, PHL, and probable DCA or IAD. You may even see the launch of Salt Lake city as well. AirTran will attempt to maximize the use of the gates they have in Milwaukee. More JOBS for Milwaukee to come via AirTran.

Last edited:
There are a couple things. TPG/NWA is probably realizing they paid WAY too much and NWA now has other things on their plate to worry about. I bet they back out of the deal before the DOJ rules on the deal.

Hey, weren't you the guy that started the post about Skyway shutting down? Either you are wired or have a great crystal ball. Anyway, my thoughts exactly. I can't imagine TPG/NW has the time for this with bigger and better opportunities out there.

CL- Everyone else is right. There is not a shot of you guys inking ANYTHING this year but concessions. Somebody said 2009, I'll put it in for 2010. That's for the sale. All bets are off if you guys get dumped. Then I'd bet on a staple.

I still believe most locals in MKE will chose Midwest over AirTran if the prices are close. What I was refering to Kharma with the 4 gates is they need to start new non-stop destinations out of MKE that aren't already offered by Midwest. There is no question that they will steal passengers away with the routes announced today but I agree with others that this is more of AirTran's own expansion now than just them out to spite Midwest.

Max, I would not take that bet. It is way too likely that TPG/NW drops its offer before the 31 and we end up with Midwest anyway. But for MUCH cheaper.

ahhh the tranny nostradamii are out (sorry that midwestern schooling kharma). didn't you say the AAI deal was a slam dunk? then stated TPG was simply driving the price up for AAI and JL? and now it's this?

CL- Everyone else is right. There is not a shot of you guys inking ANYTHING this year but concessions. Somebody said 2009, I'll put it in for 2010. That's for the sale. All bets are off if you guys get dumped. Then I'd bet on a staple.

It's funny to see the AAI guys (the usual "i told you so" fellas) rooting for us to take concessions. WE WANT THEM TO GET 50% RAISES BEFORE US SO WE CAN SHOW THE COMPANY WHAT THE GOING 717 RATES ARE. is it our fault they have been negotiating forever? we aren't rooting for the demise or concessions here. i want ALL companies to get raises, imbecile.

glad to hear you're so full of cheer though. i've been saying we'll get stapled (by AAI) from day one when the announced their intentions. federal law beat the deal though, so i guess now binding arbitration will happen if AAI buys us. as far as NWA, binding arbitration it will be there. so you see propsync, there ain't any more staples per se thanks to the TWA FA's lobbying their Mizzou congresspersons.

Last edited:
I still believe most locals in MKE will chose Midwest over AirTran if the prices are close. What I was refering to Kharma with the 4 gates is they need to start new non-stop destinations out of MKE that aren't already offered by Midwest. There is no question that they will steal passengers away with the routes announced today but I agree with others that this is more of AirTran's own expansion now than just them out to spite Midwest.

yeah, where is that twice daily CAK route they promised MKE?

ahhh the tranny nostradamii are out (sorry that midwestern schooling kharma). didn't you say the AAI deal was a slam dunk? then stated TPG was simply driving the price up for AAI and JL? and now it's this?

Nope, not me. I only turned my crystal ball to AAI's future in the last couple months. The MEH deal was before my time.

yeah, where is that twice daily CAK route they promised MKE?
Comments like that are the reason AAI guys keep saying I told you so. Your like a little kid grasping for straws. Don't be suprised to see CAK added in the future.... BTW. What happened to all the profits and growth Timmy promised you guys? Rumors of furlough at MEH, Skyway guys getting hosed, and continued losses for MEH doesn't sound to promising.. None of those things would have happened with an AAI buyout. Yet you still try and bash AAI every chance you get.. Hate to tell you this, but, AAI will eventually go into CAK from MKE, the pilots of AAI will eventually have mutually agreeable contract from the company, and the pilots of MEH will take concessions unless you are merged with another company. Trust me, when it comes to losing your job or a concession, you will vote for a concession..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back