Money for nothing, copilots for free

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did not expect him to reply.

However, if you have been on this blog long enough you know that you can get a hell of a rise out of some people.

Well at least we tried.

Unfortunately, this is all boils down to l supply and demand! It really comes down to finding just one person "willing and able" to take this position--and these days he will find someone. No doubt most of us took a job at the start of our career for peanuts just to gain some experience.

What is also comes down to is this: When you shop for goods or services do you always go for the lowest price? Do you care what that person building your car is making? What about that airline ticket? Do you care if your gardener lives in a one bedroom apartment with 10 others as long as he mows and weeds each week for $40? So why should we be so upset when an owner tries to get something for the cheapest price possible? Is it because we think we are immune from such actions? I am just as guilty as everyone on this issue, all I am saying is what goes around comes around.

Unfortunately, this is all boils down to l supply and demand! It really comes down to finding just one person "willing and able" to take this position--and these days he will find someone. No doubt most of us took a job at the start of our career for peanuts just to gain some experience.

What is also comes down to is this: When you shop for goods or services do you always go for the lowest price? Do you care what that person building your car is making? What about that airline ticket? Do you care if your gardener lives in a one bedroom apartment with 10 others as long as he mows and weeds each week for $40? So why should we be so upset when an owner tries to get something for the cheapest price possible? Is it because we think we are immune from such actions? I am just as guilty as everyone on this issue, all I am saying is what goes around comes around.

a crap gardener kills your lawn, not you.

I'M Beside myself how some people would ever do something like that, I understand the arguement. I was a low time pilot once and tried to build time in a twin. The owner I worked for said to me to build time like everyone else. One hour at a time! That has stuck to me. Beside all of us on here even the low time guys will later learn. Work to Live, Not Live to Work!

I'll bet it's a great job . . . . Obviously, the Chief Pilot (mmmmfff!) is a stand-up guy who has done a great job of developing the respect of the Owner :laugh:.

Training a CFI in the airplane, showing up for occasional duty . .. At least there's real safety with a second pilot like that, and not just window dressing ;)

whoever takes a job without pay is killing the industry. If 1 operator does it another will follow, and another and then it will be accepted by the operators as acceptable. Who wants to see our pay/QOL stay the same? I know I'd prefer them to get better!

If times are that tough then why are people working for free??

my 2c

I bet it's not the owner who is balking at the pay.

It's probably an old pilot. He refers to himself as the chief pilot even though no one else works there...And he wants an FO for busier airspace...But he tells the boss he can find someone who just wants experience.

My guess is the blame rests on the pilot.

My guess is the blame rests on the pilot.

Of course it does... actually, it ALWAYS does.

I'll take it a step further too:

Care to guess how many corporate pilots refuse to let the right seater fly the plane? The most common excuse is - the owner doesn't want anyone but me flying the plane. That in and of itself is the failure of the pilot/chief pilot to educate the boss on benefits of having two fully qualified pilots up there. This 'free copilot' crap really isn't any different.

Latest resources

Back