Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not all Captains are Aviation Gods either

JetPilot_Mike said:
Some FO's are so wired to say "Gear down, Flaps 30," that they think that in order to be at flaps 30, the gear must be down. I get a kick out of saying Flaps 30 and watch the look on their face as they reach first for the gear handle.

Gotta love the ATL
Some Captains are so friggin' nervous, I love saying "Gear Down" at 230 KIAS before any flaps......some of the guys seem to lock up, reboot, then wait 'till I say it again!

Get an airplane with leading edge devices and slow down all you want.

Al Coholic said:
Thanks for the smart ass reply jackass.

So tell me young dumb ass.. You're #18 on final into ATL. Approach tells you to maintain 160. You're at flaps 20 with a min speed of 162. Are you going to drop your flaps to 30 and hold 85% to keep you at 160, or are you going to slow with flaps at 20??

Not every question requires a smart ass response. Now go point your ERAU or UND buddies to this thread so they can get a laugh out of your response and you can circle jerk together.
Um..I think his response was with humor in mind rather than to be a smart ass. At least that's the way I took it.

I don't know what your manual says, and I don't have mine with me but the language in it is kind of like the Q&A for the FAA Written tests, you remember the verbage and can cite it in your sleep.
Upon flap retraction after the initial climb has been completed and below 10,000 feet the a/c will not be operated at an airspeed less than the min maneuvering airspeed depicted on the v-speed card. It is in the limitations section of our manual and the actual wording may be different, but you get the point.

My interpretation is if the manual says it, do it. Something tells me if you are below min-manuevering speed during any phase of flight with the only exeption being the initial climb phase that you are violating a limitation and jeopordizing your career.

With regards to the flap discussions above, I don't have pet peaves. I can't I'm still an FO, however, "flaps 8 and 20" is not a required or even standard call. I am tired of saying, "flaps 8, and only 8". However, I hate it when some of these people keep their hand on the flap lever expecting you to say it. A lot of things have improved here as far as how the a/c are expected to be flown, but some people still do that crap. Give me one good reason why the flaps should be at 20 degrees when ATC wants 180 and your min 8 speed is 169. Unless you are getting shear of +/-11 or in negotiations there is no reason to waste the fuel. If you have to use them because of poor descent planning or a slam dunk by ATC, fine. That's is understandable, but to fly level at flaps 20 when you have a safe margin over maneuvering speed is garbage. Take it back to the academy with your gump checks and RPM settings and learn how to fly a jet. Off the soapox.

JetPilot_Mike said:
Some FO's are so wired to say "Gear down, Flaps 30," that they think that in order to be at flaps 30, the gear must be down. I get a kick out of saying Flaps 30 and watch the look on their face as they reach first for the gear handle.

Gotta love the ATL
It ain't just Fo's brotha. We have Fo's over here that sit in the cockpit with more experience than the captains they are flying with. I haven't seen or heard of any crm issues there. But, if Delta pilots came on board. Well, I think I have made my point on that one and won't go there. The MEC corrected whatever errors they made initially regarding that. Sorry to bring it up.

The minimum manuvering speed is Vref for that flap setting plus 10. If you want to fly at flaps 30 on an ILS you can fly right down to the Vref for that flap config. At ASA our speed cards have this info. If you want to manuver, fly that speed puls 10. Conversely on takeoff, the "min manuvering" for that flap setting is v2+10.

The green line shown on the speed tape does not show a speed. It is merely the place Collins chose to display the angle of attack indicator. When it is centered in the display, i.e., the speed you are currently at, It shows proper angle of attack for flaps 45 approach. Nothing else. When people try to tell you that it indicates you are getting close to stalling or something stupid, just don't listen.

>>The green line shown on the speed tape does not show a speed. It is merely the place Collins chose to display the angle of attack indicator. When it is centered in the display, i.e., the speed you are currently at, It shows proper angle of attack for flaps 45 approach. Nothing else. When people try to tell you that it indicates you are getting close to stalling or something stupid, just don't listen.<<

What? Is this why its displayed when you're at FL310 and climbing? The green line is 1.27xVs for a given configuration. I didnt realize the speed tape gives you angle of attack information. (aside from increasing and decreasing) On G/S with flaps 45 and Vref + 5, the green line is 20-30 knots below speed.

bailout said:
What? Is this why its displayed when you're at FL310 and climbing? The green line is 1.27xVs for a given configuration. I didnt realize the speed tape gives you angle of attack information. (aside from increasing and decreasing) On G/S with flaps 45 and Vref + 5, the green line is 20-30 knots below speed.

The green line doesn't give you angle of attack information any more than the airspeed indicator does. I think he was trying to say that you could infer AOA from the green line, just like how you could infer what your AOA would be if you were flying Vref-15kts (ie, pretty close to the max).

The green line is a nice tool, and that's about it. I agree there is a lot of misinformation about that line, but everybody can agree that you want to stay above it, by as wide of a margin as you possibly can!

Oakum_Boy said:
The minimum manuvering speed is Vref for that flap setting plus 10. If you want to fly at flaps 30 on an ILS you can fly right down to the Vref for that flap config. At ASA our speed cards have this info. If you want to manuver, fly that speed puls 10. Conversely on takeoff, the "min manuvering" for that flap setting is v2+10.

The green line shown on the speed tape does not show a speed. It is merely the place Collins chose to display the angle of attack indicator. When it is centered in the display, i.e., the speed you are currently at, It shows proper angle of attack for flaps 45 approach. Nothing else. When people try to tell you that it indicates you are getting close to stalling or something stupid, just don't listen.
That's totally different than what we do, but thats cool. I thought there was only one Vref, but whatever.
As far as the green tape I thought it was the Airspeed your drag inreases disproportionately to your lift. I mean, I don't want to get all scientific here but, I think it gives you a margin between what aoa and aoa available for incresed performance before you reach the point of diminishing returns. With all that being said, I am probably wrong, and I don't use the darn thing anyway. Leave it to the canadians.

As per the Bombardier Pilot Reference Manual:

"Low-Speed Awareness Cue (Green Line) <FAA Only>

The green line is a low-speed awareness cue, which is 25% above shaker speed. It is continuously calculated, and is based on current aircraft configuration (i.e. flaps, gear) and flight conditions (i.e. bank angle, g-force). It is a reference only."

The green line is only found on aircraft certified under the FAA's jurisdiction.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back