Min maneuvering (CRJ) Speeds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Al Coholic

This question is in reference to the approach phase of flight.

I was taught in ground school that the "min maneuvering" speeds listed on speed cards are the minimum speeds in which full bank can be used. In other words, if you're at flaps 20, and the min speed on the card is 165, you can fly at 160 with flaps 20, using 1/2 banking only.

Is this correct?

My stands manual only speaks of min manuevering from the take off phase until 10K, and then 10K on up.

Technically, yes, what you say is correct. However, a word of caution. The min maneuver speeds are based on a safe but thin margin above stall speed for the given configuration. They are usually very close to the 'green line' which is 1.27xVs. The only reason to ever fly slower than min is in the t/o and initial climb when you have lots of thrust applied and will be using 15 degrees of bank or less.

Or if you want to test your captain's CRM skills...go ahead and fly down final below min with the engines spooled down on a bumpy day and tell him you'll be using 1/2 bank.

Or if you want to test your captain's CRM skills...go ahead and fly down final below min with the engines spooled down on a bumpy day and tell him you'll be using 1/2 bank.
Thanks for the smart ass reply jackass.

So tell me young dumb ass.. You're #18 on final into ATL. Approach tells you to maintain 160. You're at flaps 20 with a min speed of 162. Are you going to drop your flaps to 30 and hold 85% to keep you at 160, or are you going to slow with flaps at 20??

Not every question requires a smart ass response. Now go point your ERAU or UND buddies to this thread so they can get a laugh out of your response and you can circle jerk together.

172driver said:
Technically, yes, what you say is correct. However, a word of caution. The min maneuver speeds are based on a safe but thin margin above stall speed for the given configuration. They are usually very close to the 'green line' which is 1.27xVs. The only reason to ever fly slower than min is in the t/o and initial climb when you have lots of thrust applied and will be using 15 degrees of bank or less.

I don't remember a "green line" on the CRJ speed tape?

Al,

Buddy, you sound like you're wound just a little too tight. It was not intended as a smart ass reply. Judging from your question, I figured you were probably a new hire in initial training, gave you an honest answer to your question, and a probable reaction from many captains out there if you decide to fly below min. Do you also fly below Vref if you think the situation dictates it?

160 in ATL...I would either cheat a little and fly it at min, drop the flaps to 30, or tell ATC unable. There is a reason ATC is not allowed to issue speed restrictions of less than 170 knots and this is precisely why.

Some FO's are so wired to say "Gear down, Flaps 30," that they think that in order to be at flaps 30, the gear must be down. I get a kick out of saying Flaps 30 and watch the look on their face as they reach first for the gear handle.

Gotta love the ATL

Latest resources

Back