• Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dumbluck said:
don't wet yourself over a T-38, thats not a intial trainer. you went to riddle didn't you?
Yes it is one of the initial trainers. The first is also a twin engine jet. (At least for all those AF guys now applying).

Yeah, but that is about to change to a single engine turbo prop....real soon.

If I were an airline pilot recruiter, I'd want to hire from the military. They're educated and mentally equiped to handle an airline training cycle. I would want someone that had crew experience rather than just a fighter jock. No offense. I'm sure a fighter jock is great at stick and rudder and a great team mate in a combat situation, but the modern airline environement couldn't be further from the fighter pitot's. That's not to say that fighter pilots are undesirable.

I had a SWA CA with military experience tell me years ago that he wanted the military pilot in training, the commuter captain with flight time or C130 or P3 guy on the line the first 6 months. After that they're all pretty equal.

If I hadn't gotten glasses in high school I would have gone the military route. I'm sure most would say that. I would have probably been drummed out because I'm a little bit of an iconoclast, rebellious pain in the a$$. :nuts:

Okay.....I'll join in the fray........again.

No dig on civilian guys whatsoever. They are generally excellent pilots at FDX. About the same for the military guys.

I flew the C-5 in the AF. Crew of 8 to 10 around the world. Tactical approaches, air-refueling, airfields not on a map, 18 to 50 year old crewmembers. You have no idea about being in command and the responsibility of it unless you've been there. It is a unique experience. Am I proud of it. Yeah. Do I think I'm better qualified than others. No. However, military guys with this type of experience are more than qualified. Fighters, tankers, cargo haulers or whatever they flew in the military. The training is unparalleled. Simulator once a week if you want it. 4 hour training sorties too. Air-refueling sortie at least once a month. There is so much training available in the military, you can't help but gain experience if you have any aptitude for flying at all.

So spout off all you want about military guys and their less hours of flying. You're obviously clueless.

Malter1 said:
Yes it is one of the initial trainers. The first is also a twin engine jet. (At least for all those AF guys now applying).

But its not THE initial trainer that pilots fly in UPT - they would fly the Tweet or the T-6 first.

Military tactical flying is very different than civilian flying. I'd probably equate 1000 hours of single pilot Metro PIC to about 1500 hours of single seat fighter PIC, but thats just me. Once again, neither one accurately replicates the day-to-day operations of a 121 environment.

One's not better than the other - they're just different.

My turn.

I learned to fly civillian, flew for a commuter in Alaska, then went to UPT.
I do my monthly guard flying in the F-16 and I work at it. I spend the rest of the month at my airline job and I get paid to do an easy job. The training is a lot of work, then it's friggen EASY. I have never had an "easy" day in an F-16. It's either training or it's combat. There's no biffy, no Stew's, no crew meals, and very little dead time. We don't spend our time reading the paper till it's time to figure out our descent point.
I've done both, there's no comparison. Sorry.

I have 15 plus years flying military aircraft. Around the world, and instructing students in the advance jet strike program. There is no better training. (well maybe some of my students would beg to differ) I did however do a brief stint flying on demand part 135. This can be some of the most difficult, dangerous flying there is. These guys fly beat up equipment, no autopilot, substandard avionics into some of the crappiest weather while getting paid peanuts. Oh, if they go down, there ain't no H60 on alert or airborne to get them. In in many cases they don't get paid if they don't go. They do this to build time and to put food on the table. They have my utmost respect.

Last edited:
I started flying in a 172 and had 300 hours before I went to USAF pilot training. The AF taught me things I would have never learned in the civilian world. There is no comparison. It's apples and oranges. I continue to fly Mil and Civ and both sides teach me daily how to be a better pilot in both communities. Unless you've flown in both communities you have no idea. I think it totally depends on where your expereince is and what it's in. Getting your brain to go 300kts definately changes your perspective. I think MNALPHA is jealous.

Ask someone who grew up at an airport, washed planes for flight time, got his CFI, flew for a commuter, went to pilot training with the AF Reserve, then got hired by a main line. That guy will tell you the same thing...

BoilerUP said:
"I'd probably equate 1000 hours of single pilot Metro PIC to about 1500 hours of single seat fighter PIC, but thats just me. "

Your right. Thats just you.

You have no clue.

I give up! Uncle!

TGR said:
Your right. Thats just you.

You have no clue.

I give up! Uncle!

Spoken like somebody who has never flown single pilot 135 cargo. While I admire what the point-nose community does, tactical flying equates little to the admittedly mundane flying of 121 operations.

FWIW, I'd give a single pilot MU2 pilot 2000 hrs for every 1000 hours of single engine fighter time. But yeah, that's just me ;)

Like I said, one is not better than the other - just different.

Latest resources

Back