Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
M

mnalpha

Man lot of these guys have like 2000 total time after 10 years in the service, and are treated like they are the shizzel. whats the deal with that? "It took me 7 years to get 1500 hours and now its SWA time" Jesus nowonder why SWA is parking in gas stations and highways nowadays!!

mnalpha said:
Man lot of these guys have like 2000 total time after 10 years in the service, and are treated like they are the shizzel. whats the deal with that? "It took me 7 years to get 1500 hours and now its SWA time" Jesus nowonder why SWA is parking in gas stations and highways nowadays!!

relax dude...how much of your total time is PIC turbine...i assume none!!!..out of 2000 hours 1800 is probably PIC in a military jet...i am civilian and had 4500 hours when i got hired at fdx and 1600 was pic jet and the guy next to me had 2000 hrs and 1800 pic jet...its all about command time...i will let the swa guys handle the last stupid comment you made...SWAFO..you're up!

yea well, i think its still funny.... so let the coolaid drinkers crap. "I flew a f16 200 hours a year" STFU homo

No, I think YOU need to STFU. I'll leave your sexual orientation out of this. But since you couldn't and seem so "bent" on flamebaiting, you're out of here for a week. I'll bet a lot of other people think that's funny too.

UAL78

Last edited by a moderator:
mnalpha said:
yea well, i think its still funny.... so let the coolaid drinkers crap. "I flew a f16 200 hours a year" STFU homo

How far do you get in an F16 in one hour compared to a cessna? Do the math.:eek: Plus, without midair refuling many fighters can't stay in the air very long. I'm no military dude, but I give much respect to those that have been there.

ahhh.. f** um drunk fight thread uner " might as well"

all righty then...

I just have to say it,

I'm with captainmark on this one: LOSER!!!!!!

I have never flown in the military but I do understand that single seat fighter time is probably the most demanding kind of flying around. I don't know the exact 'conversion' factor used in the industry, but surely 1500 hours of F16 time equates to 2000 or 2500 hours of civilian 'transport' time.

Anybody know how the various companies rate single seat fighter time vs. part 121 PIC regional time(CRJ or EMB f. ex.)?

Regards,

dane

Wow! Flamebait if I ever saw it. I think you may have had a few before you wrote it. But I'll take you up on it for a bit.

One reason some employers value candidates with military time, in addition to the reasons CaptainMark cited above, is that they are a known quantity with top-notch training. My experience may be unique, but the training I have received in the military versus the training I have received at my 121 operator is better. The military has the resources to spend time and money on the pilots it trains whereas at a civilian airline cost-cutting is paramount. Time spent in training at an airline does not produce revenue therefore that time tends to be minimized. Emergency procedures are far more highly emphasized in the military training I have received than what I have experienced in the civilian world. I have no statistics to back this up, but I'd say on average, pound for pound, military pilots have more and better training than their civilian counterparts. Most military pilots are also trained in missions that are more complex than your typical airline environment (air refueling, airdrop, tactical approaches, low-level, formation, air-to-air, air-to-ground, etc). This develops situational awareness in military pilots. None of this means military pilots are better, it just means (to me) they receive better training. Of course there are some sub-par military pilots out there who have not benefited much from all of their training.

Now, on the other hand, civilian pilots, have generally flown much more frequently and have had more hours than military pilots in their peer group. They tend to have had more experience in day-to-day, airline-type operations. Most of the civilian pilots I have flown with have been outstanding and they are fantastic pilots.

What I think it comes down to is that employers know what the military is about, they know what kind of training is provided, they know what kind of product is produced and they like it. It's like when you go to McDonald's: it may not be the best burger in the world, but you go there because, no matter which McDonald's you go to, you know almost exactly what quality burger you're going to get and you like it well enough. You like it well enough to not take a chance on a new burger chain's burger.

mnalpha said:

Can you say dumbass? Airforce guys are learning to fly in a freaking T-38 and we learned in a C-150!! Get with the program.

It is about the quality of your time not always quanity.

great, you compared mil aviators to McDonalds, thats a a ringing endorsment. did you see what you've done, u compare mil pilots to mickey d's and theres me and my freinds and all the Captians who tought me and said that a guy with politacal connetions and got into AOCS is a better pilot than a guy who slogged it out in snow and rain and ice and maintence. screw you and everybody that thinks mil is better than civ.

Latest resources

Back