• Start date
  • Watchers 35

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Civilian checkrides are benign compared to military checks.

FAA check:
1. Simulator - Prebrief/oral 1 hour, sim 2 hrs. Probably a steep turn and a stall prevent, V1 cut, Eng out GA/Landing, maybe 1 system malfunction. VOR & ILS
2. Aircraft - 1 normal leg, T/O, cruise, landing.

Military:
1. 1/2 day of written testing
2. Instruments/Emergency Procedures Checkride. Probably about 3 hours depending on the aircraft. Several systems failures. TACAN, VOR, ILS, etc approaches, Eng failures, Eng out approaches, point-to-point navigation on the HSI and random holding.
3. Tactical flight check (varies by aircraft and mission, of course). Mission planning the day before. Must plan strike mission and brief flight of 2-4 aircraft. All observed/graded by stan-eval evaluator.
Inflight check items: Leadership of multi-ship formation, T/O, air refueling including tanker autopilot-off and breakaway demonstation (could be at night also), navigation, high & low-level flight, threat avoidance/reaction, bomb runs, formation breakup, perhaps some actual airwork (MDS dependent), back to base for about an hour of approaches and touch & goes including engine cuts after liftoff, actual engine out approach and landing, no-flap approach and landing, non-precision eng out approach and landing. If you're an instructor pilot, you have to instruct and talk while demonstrating all of the above. Oh, and BTW, they're real checks . . some actually bust them.

From my experience, civilian training is much more cursory as dictated by the cost. Hence, the airlines like military pilots who are known quality. Even after pre-screening in bugsmashers, Undergraduate Pilot Training in the USAF washes out about a third of the student pilots, maybe even higher in Navy flight school. You're not going to see logbook padding or faking from military pilots because their careers are military records.

For the demands of civilian airline/corporate flying, past a certain experience point it's really immaterial the differences between a civilian trained pilot and military trained one. The airline recruiters like military pilots because overall, they've had better success rates with them (read that cheaper to train).

For me personally, I enjoy flying with pure civilian pilots because they've had experiences different from mine, which makes for good conversation in cruise.

It depends where you're at Draginass

As far as the training at the major airline level, I'd agree with you Draginass. The training assumes a basic level of competence from both the military and civilian pilot in the areas that you outlined above. As a result, the focus of the training is getting one acclimated to the specific aircraft and airlines procedures. There is also usually a heavy focus on the fostering CRM interaction. Civilian training outside of the majors though, can be very different and much more difficult. I have been through marathon checkrides and orals like you described in both my primary flight training and at the commuters, so have many others. Some carriers also have pretesting requirements just to enter upgrade class, and then afterwards as well. The difference from what I can tell, is that the military is more standardized across the board, so while the check is hard you know what you're getting into. The civilian world can be all over the place depending on when and where you're taking the ride and which jerk is giving it. It's often very hard to know what to expect. I don't think this makes one better than the other, just another facet of the discussion.

TGR said:
I hate it when this thread pops up! My college roomate went the civilian route and I went the military route and we got hired at the majors within 6 months of each other. (10 years after graduating college) Our experiences couldnt have been more different.

He hauled checks, flew power lines, CFI'd, and went to the commuters and busted his butt for years. Some of the stuff he did to keep living the dream I would have never put up with. In the end he had a boat-load of time. A lot. And he really new the airline business.

After finishing T-38s I went to the C-5. At 25 years old I was left seat in the C-5 flying 1/2 way around the world, in-charge of a crew of 15, air refueling, and flying tactical approaches into Somalia. You just cant get that type of experience anywhere. Two tours later flying PIC in other jets and I got on with a great company.

Point is...in my best year I got 500 hrs, but I averaged about 300 hours a year in the USAF (and thats in the heavy world). Its about the quality of time not the quantity.

We all paid our dues in one way or another. Its all good.

Yeah, but you still leave your buddy to go to GK by himself. Loser.

Just curious but does anybody know if the pilots that crashed at Fedex or SWA were prior mil pilots?

TGR said:
Frikkin tanker driver.................................Sabre sucks.

Check you're ACFT flown... fricken tanker driver.

Take a few shots of Jeremiah Weed, and you'll see why their flight time looks good, just like the ugliest girl at the bar.

Latest resources

Back