Midwest or stay at Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717driver said:
WhatMeworry--You are getting wrong info on the flowthrough/flowback agreement.

The agreement is a four-party agreement between AA management, APA, Eagle management and Eagle ALPA. It is part of both parties' working agreements.

The flowthrough was intended to allow Eagle pilots to reserve a seniority number at AA when they upgraded at Eagle and eventually (I know one requirement is for a newhire class at AA to be held) move to AA. I doubt anyone at the time could have envisioned stagnation on the scale we are seeing at AA (couldn't happen here, right? ;) ).

The flowback was meant to mitigate a small number of furloughs like in the early '90's. Again, no one intended for AE to absorb the huge number of furloughs we have seen in the past 5 years.

BUT, despite what was thought at the time, the agreement exists and has been interpreted to allow for as many flowbacks to Eagle as there are "new" captain seats available. Unfortunately for the Eagle guys, the flowbacks started at exactly the same time as a major expansion at Eagle. Yet another of those "harmonic convergences" in aviation that can really f-up your career.

On the issue of APA and AMR negotiating a JFJ deal without consulting Eagle, that is true. With the concessions of 2003 were coming down the pike, the APA nego. comm. was instructed to work out an agreement that would benefit ALL parties involved.

In Nov. 2002, APA knew the furloughs would continue and that the arbitrary "required qualifications" imposed by Eagle management would be met by those soon to be hitting the street so EA could no longer reject those without the "required" amount of flight time.

At this point, APA tried to contact the Eagle MEC with the intent of negotiating a "soft landing" for both groups (the interpretation of the flowback agreement by APA legal advisors indicated an unlimited number of flowbacks would be allowed).

The Eagle MEC refused to return APA's phone calls. In fact, it came down to Eagle telling APA they'd see them in court--"you won't get ANY flowbacks". One of the offers from APA was to limit the number of flowbacks to 125. I believe that's when the Eagle MEC made the above comment.

In any event, after that, APA was determined to secure as many flowback positions as possible and the rest is history. The issue went to a neutral arbitrator and he ruled in favor of APA.

The next big event is when the four-party agreement expires in the next year or two. Do those not on the property retain their seniority numbers after the agreement drops dead? Must Eagle keep the flowbacks in their positions despite having bottom of the list seniority numbers. It's going to be interesting.TC

P.S.--I was at most of the APA BOD meetings from Nov. '02 until the concessionary agreement was signed in Mar. '03. The rest of the time I got my info from a friend on the APA Nego. Comm. I'm sure many won't like my recitation of the events above but that's what I saw and what my friend has seen.

I have no dog in this fight. I didn't take the flowback and only one person I know is not counting the seconds until they can get out of Eagle.

And, yes, the TWA guys are getting their years of service for pay purposes. To a man, they regret that this had to happen and treat their FO's as professionals. If they don't, they get a blanket party in the parking lot. That's how WE do things.

Well, I appreciate you clarifying the events that lead up to the flowback/J4J deal. Of course, when I was at a Regional I got a different version of the story. And I do remember reading a statement put out by the ALPA Eagle MEC blasting the APA for not consulting them. While I don't dispute what your telling me is true, since you had good inside info, I do find it hard to beleive that the Eagle MEC would outright refuse to meet with the APA unless they were told to accept the unacceptable. Of course, the Eagle pilots should recognize that the only reason their block hours were going up was at the expense of AA mainline flying, hence their boon in new flying was at the expense of their flow-back brothers and sisters... so there has to be some accomadation of those pilots.

I have heard both sides of the story from Eagle pilots and from AA pilots. I really don't know who to beleive anymore. That said, like yourself, I don't have a dog in this one either. I have never worked for Eagle, I would never work for Eagle (great pilots, sh!tty mgmt) and I don't have any friends who work for Eagle... at least that I know of.

Regardless, if AA pilots are "reporting' Eagle F/Os such behaviopr is rather pathetic.

AA717driver said:
English--You're right. I checked with my friend. Sorry, I only remember Darrah telling us at a meeting that AE wasn't cooperating. The AE MEC did actually talk to APA during that period. They wanted a renegotiation of Sup. W. Among other things, they were demanding their people who held seniority numbers be placed in class at AA because they claimed the transition classes for TWA'ers moving to the AA certificate were "newhires". AA was still furlouging at that point.

APA was proposing some changes to Sup. W that would have limited the flowbacks and AE MEC wanted wholesale changes.

From that point, things went very badly for AE. It's very unfortunate things couldn't be worked out. The people who are being hurt the worst are the long-term FO's at AE who would have moved into the 400+ CA seats that have opened up in the past couple of years.

The really bad deal is that so many people have stayed at AE waiting on that seniority number to come up. They are looking at a very long wait now.TC

whymeworry?--I talked to a friend who corrected some of the errors in the post you copied. (See above) I'm sure the AE MEC saw things differently than APA did. The bottom line is that it has turned out to be a Godsend for 400+ AA furloughees (many of which are former TWA guys with over 10 years seniority) and a really lousy deal for 400+ Eagle FO's who were nearing upgrade after years of life at the regional.

Hopefully recalls at AA will begin and the flowbacks can get out of Eagle to the benefit of all concerned.TC

The APA leadership will be negotiating steep concessions soon with AMR. Expect wage cuts, more furloughs, and a preferential bidding system that will eliminate the need for recalls for several more years.

Draginass said:
The APA leadership will be negotiating steep concessions soon with AMR. Expect wage cuts, more furloughs, and a preferential bidding system that will eliminate the need for recalls for several more years.

Alright, Dragin, I was just trying to be nice and upbeat. Yeah, all but a few of the flowbies are there for a LONG time. And, the AA and TWA newhires who got whacked in 10/01 will only be out 12 years... If they're lucky.

The truth sucks! :( TC

P.S.-- I think you'll see some of the flowbacks start looking for jobs outside of Eagle and there may be some openings for AE FO's that way. JMO.

I think that Ty and Chuck are repressed homosexuals, and after each of their posts they cry for about 15 minutes and then go back and masturbate while reading eachothers rebuttals.

But thats just my opinion.

Oh one more thing. I guess if I had to chose I think Ty is much more of a beastiality prone homosexual.

That is just wrong and ultimately dangerous.

Ty is like a bad case of the scabbies. No matter how much you scratch him, you can't get rid of him.

I personally think that you will start seeing positive numbers coming here soon, the reason is that Midwest actually have to spend money to start those cost cutting measures they are trying to implement, examples: the Milwaukee ramp (which is in my opinion is very good now) also the Midwest own buy on board catering program, and also the parking of three MD80, after we replace the MD80 flying with the new incoming 717 we will positively see some positive numbers and results.

Back to the original post, Midwest is far from a lateral move like someone said, I worked in the regional for 6 years and know its not true, as a matter of fact I personally think Midwest is one of the best companies out there regarding good treatment of pilots and good pilot/ management relation, granted we have some problems but which airline doesn’t? I can almost assure your friend that he will be happy here.

But, I would wait and see what this next year brings us, specially with the fuel prices remaining at this high level, the reason, he have a new born and some commitments, so he have to think hard before making the jump during this hard time in the airline industry.

Said that, I hope Midex survive this hard time for the sake of all the hard working people with families who gives it there best day in and day out.

For our Milwaukee rampers, I want to say Thank-you for all the hard work, don’t think that we pilots don’t see or appreciate what you guys and gals are doing to get us out on time.

Well, I wouldn't say that...

If I remember correctly, I don't think that the pilots and management have THAT great of a relationship. Things could have changed, I'll admit, but a leopard doesn't change its spots. From my sources, things are just the same now as they were 4 years ago when I was there.

FlyWolf,

I wish you the best of luck. I truly wish that MidEx makes it. I still have friends there and I would hate to see them screwed again. Sounds like you were furloughed as was I, but you should know better that TM is incompetent as a CEO. If MidEx survives, it will be in spite of him. With the rest of the 717s coming, they had better find a place to fly them to. What about Signature vs. Saver? What a cluster! I think they are throwing darts at a wall to see what sticks. I've been at two airlines where this was standard MO. And, yes, if anyone asks, I am bitter towards MidEx management. Frick me once - shame on you, frick me twice - shame on me. I let them get me twice. No thank you, anymore.

O.K. Off my soapbox, more coffee....

OH yeah I forgot, I think 1800RVR is a homosexual also

HEE HEEE HEEEEE

Just kidding, Whats up 1800? How you likin the brown coat these days?

Give me a pm sometime

see ya

Yawn.

You weren't very funny when you were still here, Sammy, and you haven't improved since.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back