Midwest or stay at Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
str8upflyrght said:
I'll be the first to admit i don't understand the flow-back policy at AMR. A good friend of mine is a flow back to AE. The way he explained it that when times were good, there was a flow through arrangement that allowed eagle guys to move onto mainline, and there were no complaints. The agreement was a 2 way streak, but no one cared since, everything was good and people were moving to bigger and better things. Now that things have changed, things are happenning in reverse and everyone is sore about it. So my question is why are the guys going to Eagle "scAAbs"? Does that title also apply to the pilots who went from Eagle to mainline?
If my understanding of the agreement is wrong, i apologize in advance.

it was far from a 2 way streak.....

there was supposed to be an eagle pilot for every street hire at american after letter 3 was implemented (a 1-1 ratio). the real ratio came to 15-1 and something like 150 pilots have AA numbers. there are close to 450 flow backs at eagle now.

flow thrus start at 1st year AA pay
flow backs start at their AMR service pay (some TWA flowbacks are being paid 16+ yr captain pay)

the biggest deal to eagle pilots is the "spirit" of the letter was not followed, which the numbers do not lie.

on the other hand the overall treatment of flowbacks by some senior FO's is absolutely unprofessional and wrong. some flowbacks complained to their old APA leaders who went to management on their behalf. the only direct flowback to AE mgmt stories i have heard were "personality" conflicts with FO's to their respective CP.

Last edited:
My $0.02...

Not that it means much...

Stay at AE. The Cookie Palace has no future. Midwest is only hiring because they have to. Boeing wouldn't let them defer the 717. Ask Embraer if the 140s have been shored up for SYX? Yeah, I was at SYX when those were ordered. Then I moved up to MidEx. "You'll all be CA in two years. We want to double our pilot staff." Uh-huh. When I was there, I heard all the promises, all of the rhetoric. Staying at AE will at least give you more employment security that MidEx. Yeah, no commute is nice, but being at the bottom of their senority list is even worse than that. Trust me! I've been there. The only way I would go there is if I didn't have a job at all.

Note: This post does contain some emotional overtones. I personaly DESPISE MidEx management. They are the biggest pieces of cow dung out there. When you find out that you are losing your job from the press watching the evening news BEFORE you get a call from Flight ops is BS. When you get a speech from TH "that we all have to feel the pain" with furloughs, etc., then goes and puts up $70,000 custom-made copper gutters on his house is BS. Don't tell me about pain. When FOs were putting in requests for open time trips the SAME DAY as I returning my ID because I WAS GETTING FURLOUGHED showed great support for their furloughed bretheren. Please!

But I digress....

Stay at Eagle.

PacoPollo said:
Which they have NO business to be there in the first place...

i would take you seriously if your info didn't say your current position is "hunting your mom, wife, girlfriend".

i would imagine a twa flowbie could say, "hey an AA guy has my seat."

I must reply to 1800 RVR's emotional banter. MidEx is not as bad as he is obviously trying to make it out to be. Yes I heard the 2year upgrade talk, and interestingly when I got hired they had a 21/2 year captain upgrade going through training. Unfortunately what 1800 RVR seems to forget is a little thing called September 11. I was furloughed for 31/2 years and I am now back. Am I at the bottom of the senority.....well I am down there a bit. I don't really mind it actually. It's like being at the bottom of amy senority list. I fly quite a bit, but isn't that why we chose this career? I have been treated very nice and with much respect. As far as management.....well, I personally don't agree with all of their decisions, but they like every other management has had to make some very difficult and painful decisions. Until I am put in a position to run an airline I will not be so quick to HATE management in everything they do. I certainly can have an opinion, but 1800 RVR seems to be especially bitter or maybe he is just an angry person in general. Anyway, I don't know the future of Midwest, but as long as I am here I am going to enjoy the ride. I love it here and I do not commute. My personal opinion is take the job, but I don't know all your circumstances so good luck no matter what you decide.

CitationLover said:
i would take you seriously if your info didn't say your current position is "hunting your mom, wife, girlfriend".

i would imagine a twa flowbie could say, "hey an AA guy has my seat."

Why, exactly, could they say this? I guess they could say it, but they would be lying.

miles otoole said:
Why, exactly, could they say this? I guess they could say it, but they would be lying.

my guess is there are 5-6yr FO's still at AA in STL, while 15+yr ex-TWA captains are at eagle.

Not bitter...

Hey magneticmd80,

Yes, I do remember 9-11. And management did what they had to do at that time. HOWEVER, for a company that espouses "The best care in the air", they sure don't show it to their employees. When I find out that I'm losing my job FROM THE PRESS before I even hear it from my boss, that is pathetic. When they force MR to resign from chief pilot because he took care of HIS pilots, that is pathetic.

Listen, I liked most of the people that I flew with, and most were stand-up guys and gals. I have no respect, though, for those people that were scarfing up the open time for April 2003 as I and countless others were being FURLOUGHED. That is just wrong.

I wish you well. I truly hope that management there has changed, and that their business model comes to fruition. As I said in my post, there was some emotion wrapped into the post, but I was giving my opinion of MidEx. I was letting people know that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I enjoyed my 5+ years in the Midwest family of airlines on the flying side, but when it comes down to management, forget it. There is no love lost.

You will know in five years if you made the right move no matter what you do or do not do.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back