• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Midwest has more than one foot in the ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What in the world are you talking about?????Wow....Obama trading away Cabotage? Give me a break are you that misinformed? It was Bush and the like that did indeed trade away some of our flying. Ever hear of Open-Skies? Look step away from the bong and check your facts.

Its not a zero-sum. Just because Bush did something doesn't mean that Obama will operate in immediate contravention. Are YOU that misinformed?

Neither party has a monopoly on short sighted industrial policy. In the 1980s, Pan AM's route authorities were truncated in exchange for F-16 sales. The decision was based on two things: foreign sales kept the unit prices down and the foreigners believed that Pan AMs route authorities were oppressive and anti-competitive (regardless of the fact that the reason most these airlines even existed was due to TWA and Pan AM resurrecting them.)

You check your facts...look at foreign military sales of F-16s in the 1980s, and the change in US airline route authorities over that time.

Its not a zero-sum. Just because Bush did something doesn't mean that Obama will operate in immediate contravention. Are YOU that misinformed?

Neither party has a monopoly on short sighted industrial policy. In the 1980s, Pan AM's route authorities were truncated in exchange for F-16 sales. The decision was based on two things: foreign sales kept the unit prices down and the foreigners believed that Pan AMs route authorities were oppressive and anti-competitive (regardless of the fact that the reason most these airlines even existed was due to TWA and Pan AM resurrecting them.)

You check your facts...look at foreign military sales of F-16s in the 1980s, and the change in US airline route authorities over that time.

Yep you got me there! F-16 sales will prove that Obama is to due away with cabotage. HAHA Obama and the democrats are pro-union and created the no cabotage rule - That is about the last rule they would ever resend. I'm sorry instead of saying "step away from the bong" I should have said "step away from the acid sheets?"

What a tool bag. Let me guess do your friends call you Mr. Conspiracy.

Let's examine the progress this management team has made. As recently as 2006, the airline operated 36 jets under the Midwest brand. Today, that number is down to a lonely nine aircraft. Even more stunning is the loss of jobs. At the beginning of 2008, the company had nearly 3,400 employees. Now, that number has been reduced to 1,740 through rampant layoffs and an almost pathological zeal to outsource jobs to other airlines.

Milwaukee needs an airline with the resources to compete in today's tough competitive climate. A new carrier would best guarantee our economic future, and I believe that airline can be AirTran.

Jay Sorensen, a former Midwest marketing manager, is president of IdeaWorks, an airline industry consulting firm based in Shorewood.
This is exactly what Joe L. tried to tell the city of Milwaukee 2 years ago but noone wanted to listen. He said a stand alone Midwest would do nothing but shrink in the face of competition. Airtran on the other hand was going to blow up MKE into a 200 departure a day vibrant hub. I am sure MKE could use the jobs that would of have accompanied a 200 departure a day hub.

Hi.

Unfortunately for MKE, and SE WI, the people and leadership in the area, as well as some of the MWA employees, decided to believe the MWA leadership.

What they should've done was DEMAND a merger with AirTran.

Hindsite IS 20/20, however.

I didn't apply at MWA, because I didn't think they could continue as a stand-alone airline. I was cheering for an merger with AirTran, and would've applied to MWA the next day.

I feel REALLY bad for all the Skyway and Midwest employees.

Also, my CEO and kids are really going to miss flying on MWA. They loved them.

RIP MWA.

God Bless!

cliff
GRB
PS-I also fault the US government. They allowed MWA to be taken over by NWA, without treating it as the merger that it actually was. The gov't didn't acknowledge that, basically, NWA was buying, and was going to control, MWA. I believe that ALL the MWA employees (and probably Skyway, too) should all now have DAL seniority numbers.

The tragedy of this whole thing for pilots is the whole outsourcing angle. EVERYONE needs to sit up and take notice that the RAH outsource delivered the death blow to Midwest.

It could happen to you.

Also wasn't Regan president in the 80's? Wouldn't that further prove my point?

The Party of the Presidency is irrelevant. I guess if you're still busy fellating Obama, its important to you. OK, your guy won. Congrats. Now, meanwhile in the adult world...

The political aspect is pretty secondary to the formulation of American Industrial Policy, which tends to be pretty bipartisan (See also, NAFTA drafting and implementation.) Why? In my opinion, follow the money. Corporations are giving to both parties, and both parties are protecting corporate interests.

People thinking that the Democratic Party is going to somehow ride to the rescue of organized labor or alientating their corporate donors by nativist or populist industrial policy are living in fantasyland.

Yep you got me there! F-16 sales will prove that Obama is to due away with cabotage. HAHA Obama and the democrats are pro-union and created the no cabotage rule - That is about the last rule they would ever resend. I'm sorry instead of saying "step away from the bong" I should have said "step away from the acid sheets?"

What a tool bag. Let me guess do your friends call you Mr. Conspiracy.

From a broad perspective, Byerly believes further liberalization of aviation accords will continue to be a focus for the US moving forward. "The United States has pursued an open skies policy across three Presidential Administrations - under the first President Bush, President Clinton, and President George W Bush - with strong and consistent support from both parties in the US Congress and from US airline, labour, and airport stakeholders," he says.
From http://www.flightglobal.com/article...or-next-round-of-second-stage-open-skies.html

So, I guess you're Open Skies Argument being a Republican plot argument is somewhat bogus, now isn't it?

The tragedy of this whole thing for pilots is the whole outsourcing angle. EVERYONE needs to sit up and take notice that the RAH outsource delivered the death blow to Midwest.

It could happen to you.

What, it's not about AAI pilots saying, "I told you so!"?!?!?

Latest resources

Back