Midwest has more than one foot in the ground

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flying zephyr

AirTran expansion, company refusing any negotiations, Rumors of NWA/DAL taking over for Republic May 1, and our "Union" has a conference call tonight to discuss our fate. Sad to see it go. I wish everyone the best! Great group of people, 717 was a great bird, Good crew all the way around. Too bad they should've seen this coming with the Ramp, the shutdown of Skyway, the "temporary furloughs", the farming out the flying, getting rid of charter, it's pointless to go on. Would the last pilot to land an aircraft for MEH turn out the lights when you leave the bag room. Good luck and GOD bless you all. I hope that all of the rest of you see this as a warning, if you think that this couldn't happen at your airline, look at Delta's "redifined" scope language. Fight the good fight. I hope Rip van ALPA wakes up soon, or it won't be much fun to be a pilot.

With MidEX gone the airline industry, as it was during its glory, is finished.

What's left? A bunch of poorly managed and/or poorly staffed and/or cream skimming companies like UA, CO and WN that without cabotage, couldn't survive. Their product frankly couldn't and can't compete internationally.

And guess what chumps...cabotage is as dead as Julius Caesar. Cabotage is the zombie of industrial policy...its walking around, it just doesn't know its dead. Watch Obama start to trade cabotage away to the foreigners in exchange for buying our debt to subsidize his domestic programs.

hmmm. interesting. If this comes to pass he will have some explaining to do, but, hey what does that cost him.

" I support upholding current cabotage laws."

" I believe ALPA has legitimate concerns about the liberalization of control of US airlines, and I will work to ensure foreign investors remain minority shareholders in US airlines."

(then) Presidential candidate B. Obama on cabotage and foreign ownership concerning US airlines in ALPA magazine's survey of political candidates.

hmmm. interesting. If this comes to pass he will have some explaining to do, but, hey what does that cost him.

" I support upholding current cabotage laws."

" I believe ALPA has legitimate concerns about the liberalization of control of US airlines, and I will work to ensure foreign investors remain minority shareholders in US airlines."

(then) Presidential candidate B. Obama on cabotage and foreign ownership concerning US airlines in ALPA magazine's survey of political candidates.

Was that before or after "My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election."

Then Senator Barak Obama's written statement, 2007

Of course, in President Obama's defense, cabotage has been teetering since the now-convicted Felon former Senior Senator from Alaska Ted Stevens' great work on the issue on behalf of the Chinese Communists.

Last edited:
With MidEX gone the airline industry, as it was during its glory, is finished.

What's left? A bunch of poorly managed and/or poorly staffed and/or cream skimming companies like UA, CO and WN that without cabotage, couldn't survive. Their product frankly couldn't and can't compete internationally.

And guess what chumps...cabotage is as dead as Julius Caesar. Cabotage is the zombie of industrial policy...its walking around, it just doesn't know its dead. Watch Obama start to trade cabotage away to the foreigners in exchange for buying our debt to subsidize his domestic programs.

What in the world are you talking about?????Wow....Obama trading away Cabotage? Give me a break are you that misinformed? It was Bush and the like that did indeed trade away some of our flying. Ever hear of Open-Skies? Look step away from the bong and check your facts.

It is always sad in so many ways to see peoples " political affiliation " blind them from just so many realities..

It is just another thing that makes politics such a disgusting hobby..

I just cant wait to see those approval ratings in the next 6 month.. You guys made your bed..

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/39459737.html

Time for a new hometown airline?

Loyal community deserves better

By Jay Sorensen
Posted: Feb. 11, 2009
Milwaukee has many economic engines, and one of its most visible has been quality airline service in terms of scope and sustainability. Chicago's O'Hare International Airport casts a long shadow on our airport, and Milwaukee has been lucky to have Midwest Airlines.

Unfortunately for Milwaukee, the benefit of a vibrant and growing hometown airline appears to be unraveling. While Milwaukee has remained loyal to Midwest, the carrier's senior leadership has delivered little but broken promises to our community.

Let's examine the progress this management team has made. As recently as 2006, the airline operated 36 jets under the Midwest brand. Today, that number is down to a lonely nine aircraft. Even more stunning is the loss of jobs. At the beginning of 2008, the company had nearly 3,400 employees. Now, that number has been reduced to 1,740 through rampant layoffs and an almost pathological zeal to outsource jobs to other airlines. Business and leisure travelers lament the loss of larger Midwest jets crewed by real "Best Care in the Air" employees. Most flights now are flown with smaller regional aircraft by crews who don't always seem to share the service spirit of their predecessors.
But wait, it gets worse as the future of Midwest is becoming more problematic. Delta Air Lines along with Texas Pacific Group now control the fate of Midwest. Delta has demonstrated little desire to bring Milwaukee into its family of nearby hubs: Minneapolis, Detroit, Cincinnati and Memphis. Instead, Delta has abundant economic incentive to feed more Milwaukee travelers to its newly expanded network of seven domestic hubs.
The reported lease deal involving the last of the Boeing 717 may literally bring the end of large jet service for Midwest and force a complete reliance on regional aircraft. Midwest might become a virtual airline with far fewer employees and all services provided by replacement carriers using codeshare flights.

Our community has certainly remained loyal to the employees and leadership of Midwest Airlines. With each painful announcement from corporate headquarters, this city has continued to show its support. But this loyalty has not been returned; senior leadership has treated its employees and the Milwaukee community very poorly. Midwest is no longer the hometown carrier of our memory. It has become an airline owned by private investors who believe they can shrink their way to profitability.
Milwaukee deserves better. Milwaukee needs a new hometown airline to begin the process of growing a hub here. Milwaukee needs an airline with the resources to compete in today's tough competitive climate. A new carrier would best guarantee our economic future, and I believe that airline can be AirTran.

Even in Milwaukee, loyalty has its limits.

Jay Sorensen, a former Midwest marketing manager, is president of IdeaWorks, an airline industry consulting firm based in Shorewood.

Latest resources

Back