Midwest Captain Writes About BUF Colgan Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DH106

Furloughed Midwest Capt. Scott B. Kaley, of Hilton Head S.C., wrote this in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, today, in the Editorial page (also at http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/39999982.html).

Lessons to be learned about flying experience
An examination of recent events in the aviation industry begs the question "why?" Let's examine the two most recent airline disasters that had entirely different outcomes, US1549 and CO3407. It might be a prudent consideration before the Milwaukee traveling public books its next airline ticket.
One of the nasty little secrets that the airline companies don't want the traveling public to know is that although the ticket was sold as a Continental Airlines flight, the actual company doing the flying was Colgan Airways of Manassas, Va. Airline companies really hate paying experienced airline pilot salaries and would rather subcontract flying out to the lowest bidder - as opposed to paying their own employees - as a cost-savings measure.
Of course, the results are quite predictable when the combined flying experience aboard most mainline air carriers is greater than the combined ages of those flying at regional air carriers. US 1549 piloted by Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger that ditched into the Hudson River had a much different outcome than did Continental 3407, where it would appear that pilot error might be to blame.
Experienced airline crews don't get paid because of the days when it's sunny and everything is going well. We get paid to ensure everyone entrusted to our care during flight goes home alive at the end of the day, regardless of the circumstances.
As a furloughed airline pilot from Midwest Airlines with nearly 25 years and 15,000 hours of flying experience, I expect history to repeat itself until the traveling public stops falling for the bait-and-switch tactics the airline industry employs in the name of cost savings.
Capt. Scott B. Kaley
Hilton Head, S.C.
Is it just me, or is he saying that only those flying BIG JETS for BIG PAY are safe behind the wheel? I mean he's right about "subcontracting to the lowest bidder," but has he really declared the BUF crash to be pilot error? What does he know about the crash that the NTSB and the rest of us don't?

Personally this piece of $hit should have his testicles ripped off and fed to him. While a furlough sucks, blaming a deceased crew for an accident that is far from being investigated, is disgusting at best. Plain and simple the US Air accident involved a lot of luck. The Colgan crew had no luck that night.

This clown and his airline were sold down the river by the "white night" TPG. Plain and simple. I would say take your 15k hours and 25 years and try to wow someone else. I would be careful lashing out like this Captain Kaley because Karma can be a real motherfuker!!

I know I wasn't born with a ton of experience. That doesn't mean I didn't bust my a** to make sure I stayed alive, along with everyone else.

That said, where did this joker come from? Blaming without known facts? Upset your union has no scope and the airline has no future?

What about the experienced Midwest pilot that ran into powerlines? He was VFR into IMC at night in an R44. With 14,351 hours. Guess you needed 15,000 hours to stay alive.

Dishonor to him.

Last edited:
On one hand thats rather presumptuous, declaring pilot error.

On the other, the only people that work for such low wages are the least experienced pilots, since nobody else will hire them. Many pilots with thousands of hours have left the business since it's gotten so bad. Bringing this situation to the public's eye is a good thing, but stepping on the heads of the fallen is not the way to do it.

This guy lacks tact.

He doesn't lack a point.

The only thing worse than the public apathy towards this situation is the pilot apathy toward it. If we wait for management to set the standards, we'll be waiting indefinitely.

PIPE

Furloughed Midwest Capt. Scott B. Kaley, of Hilton Head S.C., wrote this in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, today, in the Editorial page (also at http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/39999982.html).

Lessons to be learned about flying experience
An examination of recent events in the aviation industry begs the question "why?" Let's examine the two most recent airline disasters that had entirely different outcomes, US1549 and CO3407. It might be a prudent consideration before the Milwaukee traveling public books its next airline ticket.
One of the nasty little secrets that the airline companies don't want the traveling public to know is that although the ticket was sold as a Continental Airlines flight, the actual company doing the flying was Colgan Airways of Manassas, Va.

* Not a big secret when the name of the operating airline is located right next to the flight # on the website where most people buy their tickets. Also, labeled somewhere on the exterior of the aircraft. Flight Crews often have different uniforms than "mainline". Public just doesn't care. They only look at dep/arr times and the fare.

Airline companies really hate paying experienced airline pilot salaries and would rather subcontract flying out to the lowest bidder - as opposed to paying their own employees - as a cost-savings measure.

* TRUE!!
Of course, the results are quite predictable when the combined flying experience aboard most mainline air carriers is greater than the combined ages of those flying at regional air carriers. US 1549 piloted by Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger that ditched into the Hudson River had a much different outcome than did Continental 3407, where it would appear that pilot error might be to blame.
Experienced airline crews don't get paid because of the days when it's sunny and everything is going well.

* I should have stayed at the commuter level. I would make more $ 'cause I'd get paid for sunny days.

We get paid to ensure everyone entrusted to our care during flight goes home alive at the end of the day, regardless of the circumstances.

* And regardless of our wages.
* Nobody wants to "ball one up".
We all get paid to do our job to the best of our ability and try not to bend a bunch of metal
As a furloughed airline pilot from Midwest Airlines with nearly 25 years and 15,000 hours of flying experience, I expect history to repeat itself until the traveling public stops falling for the bait-and-switch tactics the airline industry employs in the name of cost savings.

* Yep, as soon as they figure that out, the skies will be much safer..Majors don't have a history of crashing..Just those damn regionals.

Scott A$$WIPE. Kaley

Hilton Head, S.C.
Is

Last edited:
Well, gee!

It seems furloughed feller will have a hard time getting out of Hilton Head if I'm the captain!

Great to know who to look for. Enjoy the drive, Scott- if you get recalled and have jumpseat privileges.

** And his name is being distributed rapidly. Happy trails, sc... scumbag!

Last edited:
This guy was born with 12,000 already in his logbook...allowing him to bypass the lousy jobs and walk right into a left seat job with Midwest.

He does have balls (that should be ripped of) for using a real name...
KALEY, SCOTT BXXXX
XXXX XXXXXXX XX
HILTON HEAD, SC, 2XXXX

Can somebody please tell me at what point we all become "experienced" and "safe" in an airliner? I can't find mention of it anywhere.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I have to fill out my weekly NASA Form for work.

Last edited:
Scott Kaley you need to STFU!!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back