Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
corrections to everybody's bullcrap above

http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/emirates-files-slot-request-milan-new-york/

Emirates is applying for Milan direct JFK. If approved, passengers can buy a ticket boarding in JFK and get off in Milan.

Emirates has several 5th freedom rights, SIN-BNE; SYD-AKL; CMB-SIN to name a few.

Obama administration is very open to 5th freedom rights and you will see more.

Until now, Emirates has helped US airlines by feeding Indians into the major hubs for connections. The JFK-MXP will open some eyes.

Emirates new "partnership" with Qantas is something to take note. Qantas is outsourcing everything and maintaining the brand name. In a few years, you will see SYD-LAX, HNL, DFW etc. sold as a Qantas ticket flown on EK aircraft. EK also was able to get more slots into LHR from Qantas. Emirates was very clever on expanding "5th freedom rights" by disguising them under Qantas brand.

Dubai has some oil but all their Jet A is imported.

Emirates main advantage is cheap labor. Non English speaking baggage handlers in Dubai make $100/month. English speaking gate agents $500/month.

One reason Emirates did not do well with Hamburg - JFK because bypassing the DXB hub, they were now subject to minimum wage rules in both departure and destination staff. They no longer have any greater advantage than Lufthansa or Delta.

Shiekh Ahmed, the CEO of Emirates is also the chairman of the GCAA (the UAE FAA) Whatever EK wants, EK gets.

777-300ER cost index is 30.

Emirates is now the 4th biggest airline in the world in regards to passenger miles behind United, Delta and American

Emirates big deal is freight. Few people realize they are the 5th biggest 'cargo' airline in the world. EK could care less if they sell a single ticket as long as the belly is full. EK's expansion in America is connecting the rest of the world's freight, through DXB hub, to America.

few other notes,

EK aircraft average 17 hours a day. A 777 delivered in 2008 has 32,000 hours on the airframe.

Recessions have been good for EK, they get pilots, gate space and accelerated aircraft deliveries.

Emirates also uses the Import-Export bank of the USA. America is subsidizing Emirates, not UAE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MhvDptSkw

How about just answering the original question I asked? Or is the answer not what you want to hear.

For one reason, the US is not the only country with Fifth Freedom rights.

War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Edit: I didn't see 8sugarsugar's reply before posting. Whether EK is granted Fifth Freedom rights on JFK-MXP is yet to be seen; it does not meet the normal criteria for why fifth freedom rights are granted.

2d Edit: 8sugarsugar, I can't find any passenger 5th freedom rights granted by the US in recent years; care to provide any examples?

Last edited:
I fly a Global Express for a private individual and live in Dubai. It's a great place to live, and I can even choose between most if not all the same, extra soft, name brand toilet paper sold in the States. I'm fortunate that my compensation package includes two full fare Business Class tickets home per year. I only fly Emirates. Since I'm a Skywards Gold member, I'm often bumped into First, but even Business Class is an enjoyable experience even on 16 hour flights. Anyone who thinks any US carrier can compete with Emirates' service or comfort needs to put down the pipe.

Yes, it's true EK benefits from cheap unskilled labor, but the skilled labor is considerably more costly than at their American counterparts. Skilled salaries are higher here, and everyone gets large housing and car allowances on top of that. Pretty much without exception, the only people who talk smack about the UAE are people who have never been here. This thread is filled with backward racism and pure ignorance. The quality of life in the UAE, especially for well paid pilots, is superb. But, for those of you who don't know any better, keep spreading your ignorance. It just helps keep our salaries high.

Emirates has several 5th freedom rights, SIN-BNE; SYD-AKL; CMB-SIN to name a few.

Australia and New Zealand operate as a single aviation market. Any airline with landing rights in one country has fifth freedom rights to the other country. That's why if you do a search of SYD-AKL you'll find non-Australia/NZ flagged airlines selling nonstop passenger tickets between the two cities ... LAN, China Airlines, Emirates, Air Tahiti Nui, etc. I don't think that United flies it anymore because it isn't cost effective.

There are a lot more cases of passenger fifth freedom rights in Asia than other parts of the world.
And of course cargo fifth freedom rights are much more common worldwide than passenger fifth freedom rights.

I can even choose between most if not all the same, extra soft, name brand toilet paper sold in the States.

Pretty much without exception, the only people who talk smack about the UAE are people who have never been here. This thread is filled with backward racism and pure ignorance.

I didn't comment on the toilet paper because I'm aware that the local Carrefour stocks different qualities of TP.

Been there. And Saudi. And Qatar. And Bahrain. And Oman.
Been a long time since I've been to UAE but it was much more progressive than most other ME countries. How long have you been in Dubai? Were you there when expats were fleeing the country for fear of being jailed after losing their jobs and unable to pay their debts?
It may be progressive by ME standards, but debtors prisons haven't existed in the western world for more than a century.
http://www.thenational.ae/business/how-the-world-is-dealing-with-the-issue-of-debtors
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...andoned-British-expats-fear-jailed-debts.html

Again, I consider the UAE as the best of the lot.

" Anyone who thinks any US carrier can compete with Emirates' service or comfort needs to put down the pipe.

Pretty much without exception, the only people who talk smack about the UAE are people who have never been here. This thread is filled with backward racism and pure ignorance. The quality of life in the UAE, especially for well paid pilots, is superb. But, for those of you who don't know any better, keep spreading your ignorance."

Absolutely.

Thanks for making my point...again.

Now American Azz Klowns, big foam fingers in the air..." USA! USA! USA!..."

America is still a great place....But, our airlines SUCK. Period. End of Story.

That's all I'm sayin'..

YKW

Last edited:
There are a lot more cases of passenger fifth freedom rights in Asia than other parts of the world.
And of course cargo fifth freedom rights are much more common worldwide than passenger fifth freedom rights.

Can't think of any new passenger 5th freedom to the states, but this month, Cargo 5th freedom rights, Emirates started flying a dedicated 777 freighter Copenhagen - O'Hare

Latest resources

Back