• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mideast Airlines Taking Over

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can't think of any new passenger 5th freedom to the states, but this month, Cargo 5th freedom rights, Emirates started flying a dedicated 777 freighter Copenhagen - O'Hare

This isn't something new under Obama. Cargo 5th freedom rights have been around for a LONG time and they've been easy to obtain.
Passenger 5th freedom rights in the US? A whole 'nuther animal.

America is still a great place....But, our airlines SUCK. Period. End of Story.

I only half agree with you. Yes, our airlines SUCK.
But I'd call America a fairly good place that used to be a great place. In the last couple of years, my wife and I have seriously discussed different places on this big blue ball to live outside of the US; I did not think I would ever have that kind of conversation.

With the announcement of Emirates' request for approval of JFK-MXP, very likely it will be approved by the feds. EK doesn't make any announcements unless it is almost certain. Reason I made the comment about the Obama administration being very open to 5th freedom is the fact of all the other irons in the fire that have been accepted for review.

Irons in the fire for Emirates

DXB-Miami-Bogota
DFW-CDG (Rumor has it Boeing, DFW airport and Emirates are in serious talks of opening a western hemisphere hub)

I got hired at EK in 2006 as a DEC and I couldn't run away from that place fast enough. I kept in touch with 5 guys in my interview group who were also hired and each one of them ended up quitting after a couple years. Do your homework on EK. They put on a good dog and pony show but when you do a little digging it's a real crap hole of a place to live and work.

With the announcement of Emirates' request for approval of JFK-MXP, very likely it will be approved by the feds. EK doesn't make any announcements unless it is almost certain. Reason I made the comment about the Obama administration being very open to 5th freedom is the fact of all the other irons in the fire that have been accepted for review.

Irons in the fire for Emirates

DXB-Miami-Bogota
DFW-CDG (Rumor has it Boeing, DFW airport and Emirates are in serious talks of opening a western hemisphere hub)

You do understand that airlines have flown similar flights, stopping in a third country in the past but weren't 5th freedom flights, right? The way it would work is that
DXB-MXP-JFK leg: Passengers enplane at DXB only. Passengers deplane at MXP or JFK.
JFK-MXP-DXB leg: Passengers enplane at JFK or MXP. Passengers deplane only at DXB.
This is not 5th freedom rights.

yes....i know what 5th freedom rights are, that has been the entire thread.

Qantas does JFK-LAX-SYD. they can't carry pax from JFK-LAX, not 5th freedom or 9th freedom.

DXB-Miami-Bogota would be 5th freedom. Selling tickets from Miami to Bogota This is what Emirates does. This is Emirates' globalization plan. It is a huge threat to the American wide bodies...mark my words. What Qantas did is glimpse to the future.

EK just passed the 200 aircraft count (all wide bodies) with 180 more on order. They are currently taking delivery of two 777's and one 380 a month. DXB airport is full. There is no more room. They got to put them somewhere else.

It would be completely okay if the playing field was level; but it's not and you know it.

An artificial level playing field is just not realistic in a world economy. You will never have that in any industry. You either learn how to play with the existing conditions or you fail.

For one reason, the US is not the only country with Fifth Freedom rights.

My point exactly. Other airlines are using 5th freedom rights in and out of a multitude of countries. Is anyone complaining? No. So why now?

Note: In all my above posts I am not comparing Coach to First Class. Rather I speak of Business Class.

Considerable difference.

Delta doesn't have F. It's either Y or BE.

DXB-Miami-Bogota would be 5th freedom. Selling tickets from Miami to Bogota This is what Emirates does. This is Emirates' globalization plan.

But EK is not flying MIA-BOG. EK doesn't even fly to BOG. So that's not what Emirates does.

I'm guessing that this coming summer will be your first summer over there. Good luck. And stop smoking the hookah.

My point exactly. Other airlines are using 5th freedom rights in and out of a multitude of countries. Is anyone complaining? No. So why now?

YGTBSM. Educate yourself; that has to be one of the most uninformed statements I've ever read. Anywhere.

And 5th freedom rights are few and far between.

Latest resources

Back