• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mideast Airlines Taking Over

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta has a hub in JFK as well; and they fly JFK-MXP. What does NRT have to do with this?

My point is, what is the big deal about Emirates flying to JFK from MXP. It's not like other airlines haven't tried stop through flights before....my example was Delta stopping through NRT. I think they do a pretty good business out of there and nobody is complaining about it so why are people complaining about Emirates starting MXP-JFK service. If you want fair consumer competition then let the consumers pick the better product. In comparing the cost of tickets on city pairs, Emirates is not the cheapest airline out there. Fortunately for Emirates, most customers outside of the good ol' USA will spend an extra few bucks for known quality service rather than going cheap, getting treated like crap, and getting nickle and dimed to death at check-in with fees.

Last edited:
The US government should ban the Gulf Airlines from flying into US and United and Delta should stop flying there.

Fact is the MIddle EAst Airline will lose a lot more than the Americans

.89 cents per gallon and 10 percent tax versues 37 percent... thats not a competition. its a monopoly

So what? Delta hubs through Tokyo.

Delta got that by merging with NWA,

NWA had that since Dec 1947 approved by US and Japanese Government because the launched Japan Airlines.
PANAM got that as well which was sold to United in 85....

Congress should ban the Gulf Airlines because 37 percent tax on the ticket sales versus 10 percent on a 40 billion dollar yearly gross sales is over 10 billion more taxes for Delta or United or American versus Emirates

Ex-IM Bank approves

Looks like the Ex-IM bank is at it again.

I understand that American jobs are gained at the factory level, but what is the total long term implications for our domestic carriers? (rhet) Boeing must have some good lobbyists on the Hill. Boeing doesn't even have to use their own money to finance these aircraft orders. What a country we live in!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ex-im-bank-approves-1-001000798.html

Ex-Im Bank Approves $1.1 Billion in Financing for U.S.-Manufactured B737-900ER Aircraft to Indonesia's Lion Air

WASHINGTON, March 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank) has approved a final commitment of $1.1 billion to finance the export of a fleet of Boeing 737-900ER (extended range) aircraft with CFM International aircraft engines to Lion Air, the largest privately owned airline in Indonesia. The aircraft will be delivered to Lion Air, Malindo Airways (Malaysia) and Batik Air (Indonesia).

The transaction will support an estimated 7,300 jobs at Boeing's manufacturing facilities in Renton, Wash., and its suppliers in numerous states across the country.
"Ex-Im Bank is pleased to support part of Lion Air's historic purchase order of Boeing extended-range aircraft. This is a tremendous opportunity for American exporters and will help to sustain thousands of jobs in the U.S. aerospace industry for years to come," said Ex-Im Bank Chairman and President Fred P. Hochberg.
The authorization is a final commitment of a preliminary offer of financing that the Bank approved in 2011. Ex-Im Bank is providing a guarantee of financing provided by Apple Bank for Savings in New York, N.Y. Additional funding may be provided by capital-markets investors via an Ex-Im Bank-guaranteed bond.
The financing will support a portion of Lion Air's outstanding orders for B737-900ER aircraft, which includes 230 Boeing 737 aircraft ordered in November 2011 – the largest commercial aircraft order in aviation history.
"We're proud that Lion Air has put its faith in the 737-900ER by being the launch customer and largest operator of the type," said Dinesh Keskar, senior vice president of Asia Pacific and India Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Lion Air recognizes the business value and success that comes from investing in a quality, U.S.-built product. Ex-Im Bank's financing support allows us to compete on the merits of our product and not be disadvantaged by financing offered by our competitors."
Headquartered in Jakarta, Lion Air provides passenger service throughout Indonesia and to other countries in Southeast Asia and Saudi Arabia. The region covered by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) has more than 550 million people and is among the fastest-growing aviation markets in the world.
Lion Air President and CEO Rusdi Kirana noted, "This substantial final commitment reinforces the invaluable relationship that we enjoy with the U.S. Ex-Im Bank and positions the Lion Group and Transportation Partners for future growth across the ASEAN region."
Boeing Commercial Airplanes is headquartered in the Puget Sound region of Washington State, and has U.S. manufacturing facilities in Renton, Everett, Auburn and Fredrickson, Wash.; Charleston, S.C.; Portland, Ore.; and Salt Lake City, Utah. Boeing employs more than 80,000 U.S. workers in commercial aircraft manufacture and related operations.
About Ex-Im Bank
Ex-Im Bank is an independent federal agency that creates and maintains U.S. jobs by filling gaps in private export financing at no cost to American taxpayers. In the past five years (FY 2008 through FY 2012), Ex-Im Bank has earned for U.S. taxpayers nearly $1.6 billion above the cost of operations. The Bank provides a variety of financing mechanisms, including working capital guarantees, export-credit insurance and financing to help foreign buyers purchase U.S. goods and services.
Ex-Im Bank approved nearly $35.8 billion in total authorizations in FY 2012 – an all-time Ex-Im record. This total includes more than $6.1 billion directly supporting small-business export sales – also an Ex-Im record. The Bank authorized approximately $11.5 billion to support exports of U.S.-manufactured large commercial aircraft in FY 2012.
Ex-Im Bank's total authorizations in the last fiscal year are supporting an estimated $50 billion in U.S. export sales and approximately 255,000 American jobs in communities across the country. For more information, visit www.exim.gov.

Fortunately for Emirates, most customers outside of the good ol' USA will spend an extra few bucks for known quality service rather than going cheap, getting treated like crap, and getting nickle and dimed to death at check-in with fees.

If the playing field was level, you could make that argument; but it's not. You work for EK, I get it.

Both times (even in coach mind you ) my experience was equal to , or far superior than, any U.S. carrier's business class service.

I have a hard time believing this. I flew EK SFO-DXB in Economy. It was 10 abreast seating and it was complete torture. Even UA and DL do only 9 abreast in Economy. BusinessFirst lie flat seat is just no comparison at all to Economy on EK.

Well...compared to straight business class (obviously not a lie flat seat ) I will say that the overall service, aircraft cleanliness, food service ( Look Ma, real metal silverware! ), employee attitude, available entertainment options via seat back video, etc., etc. etc., were all greatly superior to my experiences on U.S. carriers.

Now, granted, a middle seat just plain sucks ANYWHERE. :)

As a matter of fact, I will opt to fly an EMB170/190 any time on my way to New York. No middle seats and the seats they do have are about an inch wider and more comfortable than most 737-A320 seats.

I was lucky enough to have aisle seats on both flights and yes, they were not as wide as business class, but they were wider than most U.S. coach seats and had plenty of leg room as well as decent recline and foot rest positions.

It also helps to have extremely attentive good looking gals in their 20's wining and dining you all the way....with a smile.

The overall experience from check in to arrival is, again in my experience/opinion, a superior product than most.

Even a lie-flat seat can suck with a fat 50 year old slinging you a blanket and crop-dusting the aisle because her Metamucil just kicked in and her diaper seal is poor.

( Did he really just say that !? )

YKW

Last edited:
It's amazing what an airline can do without taxes, labor laws, or any real transparent form of accountability as to who is really paying the bills.

It's amazing what an airline can do without taxes, labor laws, or any real transparent form of accountability as to who is really paying the bills.

I agree , let's ask a first officer on the 777 with emirates what cost index he outs on the FMC from JFK to DBX
And let's ask a DELTA 777 FO..

Numbers don't lie ...

Latest resources

Back