• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mideast Airlines Taking Over

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You either learn how to play with the existing conditions or you fail.

There is nothing a US or EU carrier can do to compete with EK on cost. This is great news for you and your career at EK. Congrats.

Andy said:
I don't know anyone who's been to the other ME for any period of time who would honestly describe it as anything other than a cesspool of bribery and corruption.
Thank god it's not like that here. Could you imagine the kind of bribery you could have if corporations and lobbyists spent millions and millions of dollars to "support" (aka bribe) a politician for their campaign, and have publicly-elected officials do what's best for those corporations and lobbyists. Then corporate interests and lobbyists would run the show, but thankfully that doesn't happen.

But EK is not flying MIA-BOG. EK doesn't even fly to BOG. So that's not what Emirates does.

I'm guessing that this coming summer will be your first summer over there. Good luck. And stop smoking the hookah.

OMG, Its like talking to a brick wall. Emirates has APPLIED (def. to make a formal application or request) for 5th freedom rights for DXB-MIA-BOG. If approved, they would sell tickets on the MIA-BOG sector, this is Emirates business plan and it works very well for them. Clear now?

Other CURRENT (def. belonging to the present time) 5th freedom flights Emirates operates is DXB-GIG-EZE

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just stating the facts.

Last edited:
OMG, Its like talking to a brick wall. Emirates has APPLIED (def. to make a formal application or request) for 5th freedom rights for DXB-MIA-BOG. If approved, they would sell tickets on the MIA-BOG sector, this is Emirates business plan and it works very well for them. Clear now?

Other CURRENT (def. belonging to the present time) 5th freedom flights Emirates operates is DXB-GIG-EZE

I'm not arguing with you, i'm just stating the facts.

What are you talking about sugarsugar?....Andy is the smart one, everyone else is just stupid (tic).

YGTBSM. Educate yourself; that has to be one of the most uninformed statements I've ever read. Anywhere.

And 5th freedom rights are few and far between.

You don't read much than, do you. I can think of a list of 20 international city pairs that are 5th freedom.....and that is not including US carriers.

I agree , let's ask a first officer on the 777 with emirates what cost index he outs on the FMC from JFK to DBX
And let's ask a DELTA 777 FO..

Numbers don't lie ...

777 no longer flies DXB-JFK except for the occasional cargo flight. But in general the 777 uses a cost index of 36 on ULR flights. EK is very tight with fuel. Usually flight planned with only 20 minutes contingency fuel on a 14 hour flight. I think the biggest challenge for EK will be capacity in DXB. Holding during peak arrival times is getting out of control. Will be interesting to see what they do after a couple more years of aircraft deliveries.

You don't read much than, do you. I can think of a list of 20 international city pairs that are 5th freedom.....and that is not including US carriers.

You think that 20 international city pairs is a large number????

I think the biggest challenge for EK will be capacity in DXB. Holding during peak arrival times is getting out of control. Will be interesting to see what they do after a couple more years of aircraft deliveries.

The DWC NOTAM for one way in one way out operation is set to expire in April. It was also in effect last winter due to Bird migration and the proximity of a massive land fill. The problem is, the winds don't always allow use of those runways, so you can easily get stuck. Sheikh Mohd has ordered the dump relocated to prevent a reoccurrence next year. Only Dubai would be willing to spend that kind of money to solve the problem. At any rate, once DWC becomes a better option, many of the GA and Cargo operators will move over. That should help quite a bit. But I agree, DXB is getting very crowded, and peak times are a problem.

/.Q
- A0206/13 07MAR13/0630-30APR13/1100
D)H24
E)DUE TO INTENSE BIRD ACT AT WASTE SITE 1NM RADIUS AT PSN
245551.42N
0550446.32E AND ASSOCIATED RISK OF BIRD STRIKE FLW RESTRICTIONS
APPLY:
IFR FLIGHTS AT OMDW RWY 12 DEP ONLY AND RWY 30 ARR ONLY.
VFR TRAINING FLIGHTS OF FIXED WING ACFT RESTRICTED TO LGT CAT ONLY.
EITHER RWY IS AVBL BUT CIRCUIT PATTERN MUST REMAIN WI 5 DME FM JXB
DVOR TO THE NW.)

Last edited:
You think that 20 international city pairs is a large number????

Considering that Delta serves 94 international cities, United serves 108 international cities, and American Flies to 78 international cities, Yes, 20 cities is a fairly large number for something that you claim to be "few and far between".

Last edited:
Considering that Delta serves 94 international cities, United serves 108 international cities, and American Flies to 78 international cities, Yes, 20 cities is a fairly large number for something that you claim to be "few and far between".

Eliminate Asian cities and Australia/New Zealand. The number gets much smaller.

20 city pairs? I can do that with 7 cities. A, B, C, D, E, F, G
A-B
A-C
A-D
A-E
A-F
A-G
B-C
B-D
B-E
B-F
B-G
C-D
C-E
C-F
C-G
D-E
D-F
D-G
E-F
E-G
F-G makes 21.
London, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, Rome, Athens, Madrid.
How many cities in the world have major international airports? Then tell me how many city pair combinations are possible.

In how many US cities does Emirates currently have 5th Freedom rights? The same number of US ports that Dubai Ports World bought in 2006?

No worries; I'm sure that DOT/FAA will simply rubber stamp Emirates' requests and there will be zero public opposition. :laugh:
I must say, it's amusigly easy to spot newhires at various airlines. Watch out for those Dubai rent scams.

Edit: Just for yucks, I'll write my Congresscritters along with the Senate and House Transportation Committee members and let them know I'm in favor of giving Emirates unrestricted 5th Freedom access to all US cities. After all, they were gracious enough to allow me to defend their country and region when I was in the military while they guarded the rear lines.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back