Middle East carriers order $150B in 777X's emirates cancels A350 order

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Boeing-Closes-56-Billion-Order-for-777X222320-1.html
Dubai airline Emirates finalized a $56 billion order to buy 150 Boeing 777X jets today, firming up a commitment made last year, just weeks after scrapping an order with rival Airbus. The deal includes purchase rights for an additional 50 airplanes which, if exercised, could increase the value to about $75 billion at list prices, according to a report by Reuters. "With the order for 150 777Xs, Emirates now has 208 Boeing 777s pending delivery, creating and securing jobs across the supply chain," Emirates president Tim Clark said.

The agreement comes days before the Farnborough International Airshow, traditionally an event at which billions of dollars of new plane orders are announced. It follows the surprise cancellation in June of a $16-billion order by Emirates to buy 70 of Airbus' A350 aircraft, which delivered a blow to the European planemaker's newest aircraft and hit its share price. Airbus ended the first half of the year behind its U.S. rival in orders and deliveries, but is widely expected to unveil hundreds of new orders at the Farnborough show next week. The Emirates' order was part of the 777X launch at the Dubai Air Show in November last year, one of the largest product launches in commercial jetliner history. Along with Emirates, Gulf carriers Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways also announced deals for the plane, totaling $100 billion at list prices.

Good for Boeing! As a former A-300 Capt. I'm not a fan of the ScareBus.

Regards,
Fr8doggie

I'm not a big fan either. Not because I'm a dinosaur, I've been on the 737 too long, I'm institutional Boeing now. The Airbus philosophy of building a plane flown by Auto Pilot assisted by human pilots is not my thing and needs to be tweaked a bit. I like the technology, but, the fact that one guy can push the stick over while the other guy can pull back with no indication is one example of some tweaking needed. On the other side, I'm sure I will be completely overwhelmed by the technology changes on 737 max.

What do u have against the scarebus? Very comfortable and it flies itself for the most part, right? How could u not love it?

The A-300 is the plow horse to the MD-11's thoroughbred.

It's a safe airplane but flying it is about as much fun as having sex with a condom on:
It's OK but the alternative feels MUCH better.

Regards,
Fr8doggie

but, the fact that one guy can push the stick over while the other guy can pull back with no indication.

It's an indication that you Don t know what your are talking about. The above scenario would trigger a "dual inputs" warning. Hope you enjoy your flip phone and the comfi ride the 73 give you on the transcons.

Latest resources

Back