Michigan No Worker Left Behind (WIA) infomation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great News!

Can a Florida boy come up for the summer to get a type rating? (just kidding) Florida caps the funds at $4000, and the money is almost impossible to get :(

Some people have PM'd me regarding how much time it has taken from Orientation to Class date. Here is the general timeline:

Orientation was April 1st- Livonia Office
During orientation they give you the CASAS test( it is a reading and math comprehension test that everybody had to take) with no warning. If you haven't reviewed adding, subtracting, mult., dividing fractions, word problems, and geometry...you should probally review before orientation. You can do that at mel.org. It will save you the time of retesting the math portion like I had to do.

April 10th- CASAS Math Retest. 1 hour

May 7th- One-on-one meeting with case manager. Mine is Cheryl Radke out of Livonia Office. In her email to me she told me to call the school and ask them if they have a class date at least 6 weeks from this day available.

June 22nd- Class Date at Higher Power- unconfirmed.

This is a general timelime and I will confirm the class date after May 7th.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Cheryl Radke is the busiest case manager out of the Livonia office. There are other case managers but she was assigned to me by Susan Corey.

Cheryl is very busy, but she will get it done. I started in Jan and I start class this Monday. Mine took longer as I picked a school that was not on their list, so it took some time to get them approved and in the system. $10K for the course and $56/day for lodging!

Cheryl is very busy, but she will get it done. I started in Jan and I start class this Monday. Mine took longer as I picked a school that was not on their list, so it took some time to get them approved and in the system. $10K for the course and $56/day for lodging!

What school and what type rating?

There spending all this money for what? People will get a typed and not get hired anywhere. What does this improve? How many of you guys have found gain full employment after being typed? News flash, there are no jobs. You could get a space shuttle type and it wouldn't make a a difference.

The only jobs I see these days are overseas and they all want 500 hours in type. So how is getting a citation type gonna make you more marketable? I just don't get it.

The new concern shouldn't be getting some 737 or citation type it should be "how am I gonna provide for my family in 2010?

Flame Away!!

The state of Ohio has a similar program. They offer up to 15K for the actual cost of a type plus expenses and books up to 6K extra. The kicker in Ohio is you have to have a letter of intent from an employer. This way it keeps the pilots from just getting types and costing the state/federal government all that money with no return on investment.

Good luck to all.

There spending all this money for what? People will get a typed and not get hired anywhere. What does this improve? How many of you guys have found gain full employment after being typed? News flash, there are no jobs. You could get a space shuttle type and it wouldn't make a a difference.

The only jobs I see these days are overseas and they all want 500 hours in type. So how is getting a citation type gonna make you more marketable? I just don't get it.

The new concern shouldn't be getting some 737 or citation type it should be "how am I gonna provide for my family in 2010?

Flame Away!!
The purpose of this program is to diversify the michigan workforce and put them into careers other than automotive and engineering. I am a 6 month laid off pilot however, this program is alllowing me to lay down the tracks for my future. I believe that one day I will have the chance/opportunity to apply at Southwest or elsewhere. Why must someone always flamebait? Let's focus on helping each other out.

The investment, my viewpiont on that is getting a type rating is a way of staying current so you will be sharp enough to pass the sim eval in your next interview.

The program is also great for commercial pilots that meet ATP requrements but didn't have an opportunity to upgrade and get the ATP ticket before being furloughed. Get an ATP while getting that 737 type.

Flame Away!!

Now that sounds pretty cool. So where can I get that space shuttle type anyway?

great, just what we need is more pilots......the government should come in regulate the commercial and atp. Only allow like 100 atp's to be issued per year.

pilot surplus over, and we are then making what we deserve.

but that will never happen.

Latest resources

Back