• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Michigan No Worker Left Behind (WIA) infomation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm working my way through the program right now and figured I'd give my two cents on the average timeline to get through the program...

May 12th Walked into Livonia Michigan Works Office to enroll in federal WIA program. They attempted to slide me into a June 29th orientation date, but thanks to Laluna, I managed to contact Cheryl Radtke and got a May 18th date instead.

May 18th Orientation day - Mass group meeting, you'll take the CASAS test which is middle school level verbal and math questions.

May 26th I had my first mass meeting with my caseworker Cheryl. If I hadn't been in contact with Cheryl prior to my original orientation, there is no way my 1st meeting with her would have only been 1 week after orientation. In my first meeting she goes over program. It is a general description and her requirements on paper documentation actually vary, especially for pilots. These are the items you gotta complete:
Assigned homework: Labor Market Information, Career Exploration, Resume and Cover letter, completion of Choice Mechanics I, II, and Interest Inventory. You do NOT need to completel the FAFSA application if you already have a Bachelors degree. In that case, you must provide a copy of college transcripts. She'll tell everybody in the class that they must complete the stuff BEFORE requestion your first 1 on 1 meeting with her. Just disregard, contact her two days later, claim you're ready, and you'll still have 2 weeks minimum to get the documentation together.

May 15th 1 on 1 meeting. Went over documenation, should have signed papers at that point, but printers were broken. Make sure you bring a valid passport!!! I can't emphasize this enough. If you have one, bring it!

May 19th Signed paperwork, I'm officially now waiting for the debit card worth $10,000 for training. Should take up to 45 days to receive.

Aug 10th Tentative training date at SimCom.

Good luck everyone!

It can be time consuming. Did mine strictly through email and phone calls, as I live in another state. Cheryl is very busy, so you need to follow-up, but she does a good job.

hey w2broke, have u asked washtenaw to reimburse u? hell print this sht out and show it to them, or call wayne and have them talk to washtenaw, sht aint gonna happen by itself!

I was happy to get what I got out of them. You can work with them, but nothing with them is easy. They could care less about what some pilots on Flight Info have to say about another office. Their opinion is that some other offices give away things they should not. Been there, done that.

Money Card has arrived!

After only 60 days from the time I walked in the door, I've received my money card today from Michigan. I've been able to bump my class date up to July 27th for the Citation Ultra at SimCom!

I was happy to get what I got out of them. You can work with them, but nothing with them is easy. They could care less about what some pilots on Flight Info have to say about another office. Their opinion is that some other offices give away things they should not. Been there, done that.

Yeah, your always happy to get what you can out of people.

Updated information: Everything went as planned. Higher Power couldn't have been any more professional. Great group of people. After I got back, I contacted Cheryl and made an appt to see her a few days later. I submitted a copy of my type and she gave me my check to cover the hotel and food costs. I don't have any regrets attempting to go through this program. It was well worth the time. My hats off to Cheryl, she did a great job. Now, all I need is a job!!!:crying: Take care- luna

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back