Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

laluna1223

Laid off job seeker.
This post is for those laid off pilots in Michigan (Detroit area) that are interested in obtainng a Type rating using NWLB program.

I began researching the program in December and thought it would be beneficial to other pilots that would like to do the same.

Frst thing you need to do is find a Michigan Works office that is familiar with career of a pilot. For example- I orginally went to the Troy office and quickly realized this office has NO experience working with pilots. I finally called the training facility/school that I wanted to go to and they gave me the name of Susan Corey out of the Taylor office. (She is a huge pilot advocate and truly wants to see all pilots get training that they want.) The Livonia, Wayne and Taylor offices are very familiar with the process. Susan assigned me a new case manager and I have been approved for both the 737 Type training and the reissue of my CFI certificates!!

Now about Michigans NWLB program. The government granted Michigan another 22 million dollars towards this program. You have until January 2010 before the funds are gone per my new case manger...so you have some time.
The Type ratings available in the Wayne and Oakland County District are: B777, B747,B757, B737, A320 and CE500. Each program is obviously different in length and cost.
Each pilot is entitled to the $10.000 given for the cost of the program. You WILL have out of pocket expenses such as food, hotel costs, airfare, and car rental. These are NOT included as covered expenses. This will vary with the program you are interested in.
This is an independant prgram meaning that you will be responsible for doing the research and the legwork to get things moving. That means attending the required classes, submitting the proper paper work and taking the required tests. Do not expect your case manager to hold your hand.
I would say that it has gone quite smoothly for me so far. No complaints. Tomorrow is another orientation (three hours) and I will have more information.
Being a laid off pilot for over 5 months I just want to help. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Hope this helps and good luck.
Laluna

I just got MI to pay $10,000 for my ATP and a Citation type rating. just freakin awesome. I start class in early may.

Living in Michigan has one good thing right now and its this!!!

I went through this program last November and got my 737 from Higher Power in Dallas. They are good folks and really know how the systems works. I have heard that they have a A320 program coming on line soon, so you now have that as an option.

I also work with the Livonia office and things could not have gone smoother.

Hope it helps,

N2F

I also got a 737 type from the no worker left behind program, but my office only paid for 5k and I went to K&S Aviation in PHX. I worked with the office in Washtenaw County. Regina Allan specifically. She was not familiar with pilots, but she is now. The no worker left behind program seemed to me about paving a road (like I did) or following a road that someone else paved before you. It completely depends on who and what office you deal with.

With that said, don't count on a type alone to get you a job in this market. However, put it in your pocket for later use when things pick back up. Things WILL pick back up, I just don't know when.

Updated info. MNLB

Some people have PM'd me regarding how much time it has taken from Orientation to Class date. Here is the general timeline:

Orientation was April 1st- Livonia Office
During orientation they give you the CASAS test( it is a reading and math comprehension test that everybody had to take) with no warning. If you haven't reviewed adding, subtracting, mult., dividing fractions, word problems, and geometry...you should probally review before orientation. You can do that at mel.org. It will save you the time of retesting the math portion like I had to do.

April 10th- CASAS Math Retest. 1 hour

May 7th- One-on-one meeting with case manager. Mine is Cheryl Radke out of Livonia Office. In her email to me she told me to call the school and ask them if they have a class date at least 6 weeks from this day available.

June 22nd- Class Date at Higher Power- unconfirmed.

This is a general timelime and I will confirm the class date after May 7th.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Cheryl Radke is the busiest case manager out of the Livonia office. There are other case managers but she was assigned to me by Susan Corey.

This program has been in place for long before Obama came around. Why are you trying to make this political, this is a pilot helping out other pilots thread.

Latest resources

Back