• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Message From UAL MEC Chariman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If we ever get 747-800's then a rate could be negotiated at that time. It could pay more than the 400, just like our 737-800 & 900 pay more than the 737-300,500,700. The 747-400 and the 777 pay the same at United now. This reeks of a seniority grab by United.

UAL has 26 744's, Cal has 48 wide bodies. Who's to say the 744 won't be replaced with the 748? If we set a precedent of paying the 777/744 the same with seating of 283/374 respectively, whats next? paying the 733 the same as the 753? Banding the 320/319, 735/733 is acceptable but to band totally different size aircraft is not a good precedent for future negotiations. Just because DAL does it doesn't make it right! In the long run this will benefit the WHOLE pilot group.

I hear what you're saying. But your first sentence kinda spells out where I think this airline is headed. CAL flies small planes like they are widebodies and CAL mgt is who's going to run this outfit. I'd love to be wrong and have a bunch of 748s someday, but it's such a remote possibility it's not worth considering. We'll all make more money in the long run if CAL equipment pay philosophies prevail. If UAL mgt was going to continue to run the airline, I might agree with you.

A little backround: Texas Intl pilots tried to tell the old Continental pilots how to handle Lorenzo. Old CAL didn't listen because they were larger, had larger airplanes and were more established. Well, I can promise you there is not one old CAL guy that doesn't regret not listening to the TI pilots. This issue is no different.

If we ever get 747-800's then a rate could be negotiated at that time. It could pay more than the 400, just like our 737-800 & 900 pay more than the 737-300,500,700. The 747-400 and the 777 pay the same at United now. This reeks of a seniority grab by United.

Absolutely. It's amazing how our United counterparts are playing their games. Fine, let's put everything on hold for your apparent seniority grab. Thanks for working together, knew it was a smoke screen.

UAL has 26 744's, Cal has 48 wide bodies. Who's to say the 744 won't be replaced with the 748? If we set a precedent of paying the 777/744 the same with seating of 283/374 respectively, whats next? paying the 733 the same as the 753? Banding the 320/319, 735/733 is acceptable but to band totally different size aircraft is not a good precedent for future negotiations. Just because DAL does it doesn't make it right! In the long run this will benefit the WHOLE pilot group.

So, it will benefit your whole group? I guess that means there will be no fences (according to you), so everyone can bid the 744s, right? That would be fair I guess(in your eyes). If there is a fence, then the 744 and 777 payrates should be the same, period. Otherwise, it is just devisive for the whole group, and that isn't playing NICE. Thanks United MEC--you senior jerks. Top equipment at each airline should get the same rate, period. Wake up. This smells like the new USAir.

Last edited:
Bwaaahaaahaaa. That is too funny. thanks for a good laugh. Yes I will call my LEC rep and say " please just give JB and the CAL MEC whatever they want b/c they know what is best for me. In fact, just proxy your future MEC votes to JB please."

Are you prepared to give the CAL pilots the right to immediately bid over to the 744 without fences? If you aren't, then you need to quit crying yourself and allow the top aircraft at each airline to make the SAME pay. That is only fair. What's great is that both MECs may have to go to ALPA National to try to get this resolved, and the new National President is a Delta guy, who constructed the joint pay proposal there, which had the 777 and 744 paid the same at Delta. You're gonna lose!

Looks like CAL is protecting the over 60 pilots again.

How many over 60 pilots did CAL have in the training department and in fake management positions waiting for the over 60 rule to change? 100, 200 over 60 pilots prior to Dec. 13, 2007!

Talk about a seniority grab. 200 guys are on the list today who should not be and the EWR LEC rep is protecting them again while hurting everyone in the process on both sides!

The protection of 200 at the expense of 11,000!

And all while the EWR rep plays a love triangle with the IAH sec. treasury against the IAH reps. running to his buddy the CAL MEC chairman to tell him the latest gossip. Outrageous!

Looks like CAL is protecting the over 60 pilots again.

How many over 60 pilots did CAL have in the training department and in fake management positions waiting for the over 60 rule to change? 100, 200 over 60 pilots prior to Dec. 13, 2007!

Talk about a seniority grab. 200 guys are on the list today who should not be and the EWR LEC rep is protecting them again while hurting everyone in the process on both sides!

The protection of 200 at the expense of 11,000!

And all while the EWR rep plays a love triangle with the IAH sec. treasury against the IAH reps. running to his buddy the CAL MEC chairman to tell him the latest gossip. Outrageous!

You need to check your facts. There were only 17 hidden instructors/management pilots over 60 when the law passed, and its being grieved.

At the end of the day pay rates, both pre-merger and JCBA, were inconsequential in constructing the DAL/NWA seniority list.

Arguments from different perspectives were made by both sides, but it really didn't matter much.

Don't let this derail your merger.

Get a JCBA and keep the pay issues associated with the JCBA out of the seniority list process.

It looks like the 70+ seat RJ's are going to be safe for a while.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back