• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Message From UAL MEC Chariman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So a whole fleet of 25+ airplanes for two flights? Makes sense to me.

When your product is designed around business customers and the 25 aircraft can carry many of them to Bahrain, Africa, Hong Kong, Australia and bet on India again...the small 25 airplane fleet is a profitable fleet...I guess okay times would be when you are making a profit.

Never said the Government cared about profitibility, but the companies that bid the 777 instead of the 744 lost a bunch of high dollar Japanese $10K/ticket customers.

I fly 707s all over the world while I am furloughed and will never see the 744, so I know about inefficiency but don't understand why a CAL pilot would be so adversarial about a plane that has and is again making big $$ for UAL. I leave for Sydney on UAL this week and the plane is sold out as always w/ a 11pm departure (what the customer wants)...checked yesterday and the last few business seats sold for $15k. When you have twice as many premium seats as a 777 and the times are profitable....you can make a lot of $$ in the 744.

Also, I try and make a habit of getting my facts mostly straight before I bust someone's marbles ie. your DOJ v DOT inaccuracy. Try it...you'll feel better.

Last edited:
When your product is designed around business customers and the 25 aircraft can carry many of them to Bahrain, Africa, Hong Kong, Australia and bet on India again...the small 25 airplane fleet is a profitable fleet...I guess okay times would be when you are making a profit.

Never said the Government cared about profitibility, but the companies that bid the 777 instead of the 744 lost a bunch of high dollar Japanese $10K/ticket customers.

I fly 707s all over the world while I am furloughed and will never see the 744, so I know about inefficiency but don't understand why a CAL pilot would be so adversarial about a plane that has and is again making big $$ for UAL. I leave for Sydney on UAL this week and the plane is sold out as always w/ a 11pm departure (what the customer wants)...checked yesterday and the last few business seats sold for $15k. When you have twice as many premium seats as a 777 and the times are profitable....you can make a lot of $$ in the 744.

Also, I try and make a habit of getting my facts mostly straight before I bust someone's marbles ie. your DOJ v DOT inaccuracy. Try it...you'll feel better.

The fact that the airplane is full doesn't mean it's profitable, although LA-SYD almost assuredly is. My contention is the 744 is NOT the profit machine some think, if it was the worldwide fleet of them would not be shrinking. A DC-9 can be profitable when times are good, unfortunately "times" change daily.

Hey, how about you get the same rates for 777 and 744, and then people won't move from aircraft to aircraft for pay reasons. Sure, there may be a 5 year fence for CAL people on the 744, but UAL pilots may just stay on the 777 if the pay is the same. It makes a lot of sense, and isn't unfair to CAL pilots since they don't have 744s anyway. Their top people deserve the same pay as the top UAL people, and that is how DL did it. If you disagree, you are a greedy jerk with an ego. Sad but true.

But, MOST OF YOU ARE COOL REGARDLESS. HAVE A FUN NIGHT!

Bye Bye--General Lee

You should get some more facts before you start your childish name calling. The CAL MEC wants to band the 764 with the 777/744 and they want to band the 319/320 with the 735/733. There are two sides to every story. Just because the mighty D does something does not make it right. IMHO each aircraft type should have its own pay scale. Banding is a concession being rolled over from the BK decade and we all seem to have accepted it as normal practice.

If you want to help the industry- blend all rates to one- let pilots do the type of flying they want to instead of what they financially ought to do-
Recognize the equal contribution of all pilots and show mgmt how unified you are-

Sadly- there is an enormous contingent of ALPa major airline pilots that don't care what they make- as long as it's more than the next guy- this is one root cause for every paycut you've experienced

OneRate stops this

Latest resources

Back