• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba to Phase out ALL the Saabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with one thing....the company will ask for a blended Capt. rate if we get 700's.

I believe you already have a rate scale that covers both aircraft right now.

Let me see. You guys think that because Delta is ridding the small t-props, that the Delta pilots are just going to make nice and grant you more flow through slots to make it up to you???? Riiiight! Because they love the flow-through deals as it is! And they are all sooo magnanimous, too!

You need to look at what Delta has done in the past few years to Comair and even ASA. Many planes lost, pilots furloughed. Management didn't toss some 70's their way to ease the pain, nor did the Delta pilots extend some jobs.

Let me see. You guys think that because Delta is ridding the small t-props, that the Delta pilots are just going to make nice and grant you more flow through slots to make it up to you???? Riiiight! Because they love the flow-through deals as it is! And they are all sooo magnanimous, too!

You need to look at what Delta has done in the past few years to Comair and even ASA. Many planes lost, pilots furloughed. Management didn't toss some 70's their way to ease the pain, nor did the Delta pilots extend some jobs.

I could be wrong but I don't think it was Delta Pilots that wanted to pour the coals to the ASA and Comair guys. I think that was Delta management. Why would Delta "Pilots" care if there is more guys/gals coming from Mesaba's pilot group to mainline. If its not Mesaba pilots its going to be some other Regional pilot (probably a few military and major guys also) taking the spots in class. Plus Delta pilots would get the rights to spots on the Mesaba seniority list in case of a furlough. From a managments stand point its probably cheaper for them considering they own Mesaba. Take a senior pilot from Mesaba start him at year 1 Delta pay and upgrade a junior cheaper guy at Mesaba to take the vacated captain slot and avoid the cost of furloughing at Mesaba (unemployment cost and training costs). Sounds like a win/win. I wonder if you ask a Delta pilot what they prefer 6-15 year Mesaba guys flowing up or Compass guys that have flown brand new jets (DC9 replacements) for three years what their answer would be?? You're right, probably neither we are all scum, lol!

Don't put Mesaba pilots in the same category as the RJDC or whatever it was called. We don't feel that mainline owes us anything or we are entitled to something. I don't expect anything. I do look at possibilities based on scope clauses and what is going on. Things are getting pretty dark over here and I don't think anyone making predictions is that out of line.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if DAL shuts us down and have absolutely no doubt that if DAL offered DAL pilots $.50 an hour raise if mainline pilots would would just machete us in a Walmart parking lot. On the other hand I do expect respect for my efforts and NOT being treated as the enemy. I did not take your jobs. DAL and NWA pilots, through contract negotiations and bankruptcy threats allowed contract changes that allowed certain jet flying to contractors. I didn't hold a gun to your head. Go talk to your MEC.

Personally I wish we didn't have jets, but I only fly what our company has.
I didn't get to choose. Not even when I was hired.

If mainline takes all the aircraft away as they just did with the SAAB's, well so be it. We aren't crying because ASA, Skywest and Comair start flying into MSP and DTW (I did hear about a lot of things said to our people when we started flying into ATL and SLC). We are used to shrinking while others are growing. I don't like it. I think our company is worth better consideration. But that has to come from mainline and we know how we are thought of.

As a contractor, I think we offer a good value. I don't know what our agreement with DAL is but the NWA agreement wasn't anything like what Pinnacle or anyone else had. We didn't have guaranteed profit margins. We didn't get a lot of things. I do know that NWA hammered us all the time about on time performance. Our safety record speaks for itself. Customer service was never that much of a concern with NWA but things are improving. I don't think ANYONE at mainline was worried about riding on our aircraft. Our training has been some of the best and since the Colgan accident, what we do at Mesaba is going to affect the whole industry.

I am proud of my airline and I work hard to make it the best. Hopefully we have value to DAL. If not...go somewhere else and speak your hate. I don't have time for it.

Section

I am one of those captains.... I was , and still am against that proposal even if I soon go back to fo. Has nothing to do with being shortsighted, actually quite the opposite. If that went through, there would be NOTHING the fo's would get when we go to section 6 next year. The key to fixing the pay problem is getting rid of the blended payscale. I can guarantee that wouldn't have happened if the pay proposal passed. Now that it didn't we have a shot (maybe a long one but still) at fixing the cause of the problem.

And how long do you think section 6 will take if it STARTS next year? There will be 350 Mesaba pilots furloughed as a result of this announcement. Just my 2 cents but the decision was short sighted and some might argue - selfish. The problem isn't the blended payscale.

And how long do you think section 6 will take if it STARTS next year? There will be 350 Mesaba pilots furloughed as a result of this announcement. Just my 2 cents but the decision was short sighted and some might argue - selfish. The problem isn't the blended payscale.

Those pilots will be furloughed either way. We have 2 hopes to mitigate that, senior guys moving on to the majors and something coming along to replace some of the Saabs.
What do you think the problem is if it isn't the blended payscale?

Those pilots will be furloughed either way. We have 2 hopes to mitigate that, senior guys moving on to the majors and something coming along to replace some of the Saabs.
What do you think the problem is if it isn't the blended payscale?
I think the problem is too many pilots in the Delta connection family who are willing to work for lower pay and lower cost work rules.

In my oppinion, Delta is looking for a "NEWCO" cost structure to get the growth and Mesaba is anything but that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back