• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba to Phase out ALL the Saabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So in theory 60 airplanes is about 600-700 pilots, we currently have around 1200 total with 200 already on furlough. So 1000 minus 600 is about 400 pilots fat over the next two years. Any predictions if attrition do to the flow through to Delta and other airlines hiring in the next two years will be enough to mitigate more furloughs?? I have heard that Delta might up Mesabas flow through numbers from the current 9 a month to 20 to offset parking the saabs. Anyone else hear that one or is it even possible to change that number??

It is possible.

I have heard nothing official.

I don't know the exact language but DAL and DAL MEC decide whether we can have more than 9 a month. Now when this flow deal was jammed up our ...it was Mesaba that wanted to limit the number of flows because we were hiring like crazy and didn't want to make the training situation worse.

Maybe the company will ease the pain by allowing more than 9.

I am one of the Greedy, Lazy old Captains who didn't want to reduce my raise. I haven't forgotten how difficult it was to make it as an FO. But you don't fix this kind of problem internally. It must be done by negotiating with the company.

I predict just like the last round of negotiations that the blended rate will remain because the company will slam some new tactic at us. Last time it was Big Sky, just wait to see what is up their sleeve. The blended FO rate will never go away!

Well, last time the argument against getting rid of the blended rate was that it was, in the words of the Neg Comm Chair, "too complicated."

Good luck, XJ guys and gals.

Deep down all of us at XJ knew this was happening. I left just shortly after the first announcement was made last year. Right then and there we all knew the end was coming for the Saabs. It wasn't a matter of if at that point, just when.

I wish all the Saab guys the best at XJ. Lots of awesome crews I worked with there during my short stint. Best of luck to all of you guys!

Just thinking out loud...and this is in line with the BIG DAL picture.

Let's say they want to give us more planes. Our cost structure is good but not the best. Our safety and service is good but we are heavy Senior Captains.

It's easy to prune the bottom side of the list. But cutting the high end of the list gets pretty hard unless something awesome/devastating happens - like a flow agreement or a bankruptcy. I mean people on the low side are happy with having a job and the senior people are fed up with the BS.

Park 1/3 of the fleet and that takes care of the bottom side of the list that is unhappy with the blended rate (note: nobody is happy). Downgrades happen in droves. Fresh to medium Captains are getting pissed. High seniority Capts. don't care. As we saw during the shamruptcy those low to medium Captains left at 50 a month sometimes - making Mesaba more cost efficient.

Suddenly DAL starts hiring. Compass has said they are going to hold the flow because they need the pilots (rumor I have read and not sure they can do), possibly opening up Mesaba to more than 9 a month and 10% of pilot group (this wording IS in our Flow agreement). So here is someplace to prune the more senior Captains off of the payroll.

Now DAL has us by the sack (loss of fleet and furloughs) and comes to us with something like CRJ700's (could be anything - Dashes of some flavor - but I really think it will be a CRJ product). There will be promises of some huge number (25 to 50), then there will be a hook in the bait...say a blended CAPTAIN rate for a combined 700/900 rate. The second hook will be - we can't split the FO rates cause of the blended Capt rates. But we'll raise the FO rates. Third hook in the treble will be something that removes the 200's.

I don't see a Big Sky type stick cause we already have Compass and Comair as wholly owned sticks and the rest of the contracted carriers.

I see us being the Low end 900 drivers but high end 700 drivers.

Now where will the aircraft come from? Well DAL has a plan to refurbish 60+ of them with first class seats. They could easily put them here just like they gave ASA the 4. Also there are 35 new 700's that could be purchased. I've spent a lot of time in the scope clauses and while I am probably wrong, I know the 76's are beyond cap, but the 70's are below. Just search and read about the DAL/NWA scope on here...it's pretty clear.

Now I am sure my over active imagination is getting the best of me but after shamruptcy being beaten by NWA for so long, I believe this is a possibility.

Just thinking out loud...and this is in line with the BIG DAL picture.

Let's say they want to give us more planes. Our cost structure is good but not the best. Our safety and service is good but we are heavy Senior Captains.

It's easy to prune the bottom side of the list. But cutting the high end of the list gets pretty hard unless something awesome/devastating happens - like a flow agreement or a bankruptcy. I mean people on the low side are happy with having a job and the senior people are fed up with the BS.

Park 1/3 of the fleet and that takes care of the bottom side of the list that is unhappy with the blended rate (note: nobody is happy). Downgrades happen in droves. Fresh to medium Captains are getting pissed. High seniority Capts. don't care. As we saw during the shamruptcy those low to medium Captains left at 50 a month sometimes - making Mesaba more cost efficient.

Suddenly DAL starts hiring. Compass has said they are going to hold the flow because they need the pilots (rumor I have read and not sure they can do), possibly opening up Mesaba to more than 9 a month and 10% of pilot group (this wording IS in our Flow agreement). So here is someplace to prune the more senior Captains off of the payroll.

Now DAL has us by the sack (loss of fleet and furloughs) and comes to us with something like CRJ700's (could be anything - Dashes of some flavor - but I really think it will be a CRJ product). There will be promises of some huge number (25 to 50), then there will be a hook in the bait...say a blended CAPTAIN rate for a combined 700/900 rate. The second hook will be - we can't split the FO rates cause of the blended Capt rates. But we'll raise the FO rates. Third hook in the treble will be something that removes the 200's.

I don't see a Big Sky type stick cause we already have Compass and Comair as wholly owned sticks and the rest of the contracted carriers.

I see us being the Low end 900 drivers but high end 700 drivers.

Now where will the aircraft come from? Well DAL has a plan to refurbish 60+ of them with first class seats. They could easily put them here just like they gave ASA the 4. Also there are 35 new 700's that could be purchased. I've spent a lot of time in the scope clauses and while I am probably wrong, I know the 76's are beyond cap, but the 70's are below. Just search and read about the DAL/NWA scope on here...it's pretty clear.

Now I am sure my over active imagination is getting the best of me but after shamruptcy being beaten by NWA for so long, I believe this is a possibility.
I agree with one thing....the company will ask for a blended Capt. rate if we get 700's.

I unfortunately disagree with you on your assertion of being able to use section 6 to correct FO pay rates. The only things that matter in a section 6 negotiation are where the union wants to put the money and the resolve and unity of the groups negotiating.

You will face the same headwinds as last time you negotiated. The company will want to stick you with the cost of a rebid and its training costs. Which means the union will have to balance that expense and benefit. You will still need to decide if the FOs get a bigger raise at the expense of the Captains. Nothing will be different.

Now if you do the math and forecast out a three to four year negotiation process, which way puts more money in the pilot work groups pocket? You might be shocked to see which way costs the company more money for years past amendable. A higher cost is what will drive the company to the table to stabilize the expenses.

What are the reasons you believe this would alter the economics of the company if the proposal had been agreed to?

I unfortunately disagree with you on your assertion of being able to use section 6 to correct FO pay rates. The only things that matter in a section 6 negotiation are where the union wants to put the money and the resolve and unity of the groups negotiating.

You will face the same headwinds as last time you negotiated. The company will want to stick you with the cost of a rebid and its training costs. Which means the union will have to balance that expense and benefit. You will still need to decide if the FOs get a bigger raise at the expense of the Captains. Nothing will be different.

Now if you do the math and forecast out a three to four year negotiation process, which way puts more money in the pilot work groups pocket? You might be shocked to see which way costs the company more money for years past amendable. A higher cost is what will drive the company to the table to stabilize the expenses.

What are the reasons you believe this would alter the economics of the company if the proposal had been agreed to?

By the time negotiations start we will be an all CRJ company. There should be no remaining training costs,(maybe a very minor amount of differences training for 200/900) This is the perfect time to make the change because of this. The key is doing it and then never making the same mistake down the road to allow it to happen again.

You are correct the key is to shut the door on blended rates. As I understand last I heard they had not developed a differences course at XJ (that must have changed).

I am just tying to understand the economic reasons why it was not a good idea to try to correct the imbalance in pay of the FOs.

I have to say I was impressed that for the first time in recent memory that a pilot group tried to correct the disparity inside it for the better of the junior folks.

The reason the pay proposal did not go thru is becasue pilot unity goes as far as the next paycheck. I am not even sure the company would have agreed to this. However to say we will get the F.O's a raise in the next contract is a joke. If this had gone thru it would have made a meeningful difference in many F.O's lifes. The fact is our next contract is at best 4 to 5 years away. This would have helped this year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back