Mesaba Rapes Labor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FSIGRAD said:
Kind of curious how my health insurance jumps from $150 a month to $250 the same day we declare BK......didn't make the headline at mymesaba.

Good luck to all the mesaba pilots still around.

It's criminal what Foley and Spanjers and NWA are doing to this company and it's employees. Maybe someone will discover SEC wrong doings and send Foley and Spandex to a "Federal Pound 'em in the A$$" prison for their crimes. Wonder if Spanjers would be jingling his keys then?

Yudso said:
My .understanding is that the scope agreement between the pilots and MAIR, therefore Mesaba can't touch it. Someone please tell me I'm right.

Our protection is in appendix f. 1) any new airline subsidiary of MAIR Holdings, Inc. will be staffed by pilots on the Mesaba Pilots' System Seniotity List: 2) ...use our contract 3). all Mesaba pilots get to bid first on the new co.'s positions. 4) all of new co. pilots must be put on Mesaba's pilots seniority list. Also Big Sky...shall not operate aircraft with greater than 19 seats.

In addition our scope in section 1. locks in Mesaba aviation to the scope. This section also covers our scope over successorship, transfer of co. aircraft or merger.

IMHO this is the only thing that stopped the new crj going to Big Sky.

jpeace02 said:
can someone seriously answer the question as to how mesaba aviation can be chptr.11 and holdings has over a 100 million?

Look at the rate of cash burn. The profits there were a "gift" from NWA to help show losses at the mainline. Both XJ andPCL were getting fuel subsidized at $0.80/gallon and empty seats paid for if it was feeding NWA. Look at Indy air to see your profits sans NWA subsidy.

That IS coming to an end with re-negotiated air service agreements. I'm sure XJ saw the writing on the wall and acted sooner thn later. Sort of like flying to a bad wx destination, holding, and making the bingo decision rather than pressing on and ending up low fuel or out of gas.

Focus: is this a self funded or DIP financed BK?

Fly4hire,
Here is something for ya to think about. I know how much you hate us regional pilots for stealing your jobs and routes with our trans continent Saabs, but if we Mesaba pilots really get pinned into the corner guess what? We are now going to be forced by NWA and XJ management to fly even larger airframes for even less money. ALPA has always said we have to conserve jobs, help make the company profitable, blah blah blah. So we agree to fly an Airbus for just a little less than Jet Blue.

Or we may end up walking out and let you guys fly the Saab to FSD and CAK for $35k per captain.

Either way, you get your wish. Bad things are going to happen to Mesaba pilots.

Fly4hire said:
Look at the rate of cash burn. The profits there were a "gift" from NWA to help show losses at the mainline. Both XJ andPCL were getting fuel subsidized at $0.80/gallon and empty seats paid for if it was feeding NWA. Look at Indy air to see your profits sans NWA subsidy.

That IS coming to an end with re-negotiated air service agreements. I'm sure XJ saw the writing on the wall and acted sooner thn later. Sort of like flying to a bad wx destination, holding, and making the bingo decision rather than pressing on and ending up low fuel or out of gas.

I am so TIRED of some of you mainline IDIOTS talking this trash. Fuel subsidy sure. Do you have any idea of what the lease costs are vs. how much NWA charges XJ for them? How about all the other parts of the ASA.

The biggest issue BY FAR is how NWA books the revenue. They can slant it either way. But there is a HUGE problem with your argument. We all know that NWA has always been one of the most frugal carriers out there. Why do you insist that XJ and 9E were created to BURN cash. Under your premise, we only lose money for NWA. Doesn't sound frugal to me.

And you can spout all you want about CASM numbers. Yet due to the smaller stage lengths for the regionals, our TRUE RASM numbers are much higher as well.

Stop using Independence as your whipping toy. Trying to equate apples to oranges is MORONIC. Their problem is a revenue problem. Tickets for 59$, 79$? Nobody can make profit at those levels. I give Independence management credit for flipping the bird to United, since they knew how much profit United made on them. It was just bad luck that they tried to do it at a time when fuel costs doubled.

Look, I didn't want to be a regional pilot my WHOLE FREAKING life just like anyone else here. But the truth is, there never would have been this problem if the mainline MECs had given any scope up in the first place.

Fly4hire said:

Yes, Mesaba Holdings has offered to be DIP with the money that Mesaba Airlines generates from NWA who only keeps Mesaba around to show a loss for tax season.

Monster Buck said:
Our protection is in appendix f. 1) any new airline subsidiary of MAIR Holdings, Inc. will be staffed by pilots on the Mesaba Pilots' System Seniotity List: 2) ...use our contract 3). all Mesaba pilots get to bid first on the new co.'s positions. 4) all of new co. pilots must be put on Mesaba's pilots seniority list. Also Big Sky...shall not operate aircraft with greater than 19 seats.

In addition our scope in section 1. locks in Mesaba aviation to the scope. This section also covers our scope over successorship, transfer of co. aircraft or merger.

IMHO this is the only thing that stopped the new crj going to Big Sky.

What is stopping them from throwin' all this out the window now? Or furloughin' out of seniority? I hope our MEC is ready to throw down

I hope our MEC is ready to throw down

i haven't been around long enough to make my own opinions but it seems in talking with others that our MEC doesn't have much of a spine and will accept whatever mgt gives us. there aren't many that like the current contract so what makes you think the "it's a great deal for us" won't be said again??

4Hire,
I understand your comparison of XJ and Indy. The only difference is the code share and XJ has been losing money for NWA for almost 20 years. By the way, I'm being sarcastic. Take your issuses elsewhere. We have more important things to deal with.

Latest resources

Back