Mesaba Rapes Labor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PCL_128 said:
That's certainly true. If we're going to try this out, then trying it at a regional will get the most sympathy from a judge. It's hard to convince a judge that an FO making $23,000 needs a pay cut. Hopefully it won't come to this anyway.

Unfortunately what an FO makes won't make a bit of difference in defending the right to take 'self-help' measures following the abrogation of a CBA through the 1113(c) provisions of the Bankruptcy code.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems pretty plain the issue before a judge would be whether the limitations placed on labor by the RLA still apply, or apply to the agreement impossed by the Bankruptcy Court. To consider wages would be outside the scope of the argument.

If you are thinking that what an FO makes will impact a judge's decision to grant an 1113(c) motion, or give the company exactly what it wants then that is another matter. The Bankruptcy Judge's job is to protect the creditors, not the employees. The company's financial condition, and its prospects of going forward successfully will probably play a larger roll than what a group of employees make.

Either way, there are several groups further along in the process than Mesaba. Aloha airlines filed with the Bankruptcy court its intent to file an 1113(c) motion on Friday and asked for expetided hearings. If filed the motion at Aloha will be heard initially on Oct. 28th and 31st. Aloha's management is desparate to consumate their relationship with Yucaipa and AAIG, and they need concessions to get it done. The pilots are not onboard yet, and it they may very well be the first to test the legal waters.

NWA may also test the waters before Mesaba.

Stay tuned....

As far as the 23K goes no a judge probably won't. the concessions will be on a sliding scale most likely. FO's taking a 1% cut or something. A good reponse to wage cuts is to find pilot in the company who is on food stamps, they are out there and ego's be damned and issue a press release, thrown in some thing about excutive retention programs (raises for retards) mgt. shuts up real quick

That is the first thing that the Mesaba MEC should do if confronted. Like I posted earlier, it is more likely that a regional pilot will withdraw his/her services before a major/national. People who make more money have more to lose. When you are not making as much as a McDonalds manager flying airplanes that are comparable to the majors, your options are a little more limited. NWA pilots, even with pay cuts, will make a fair wage. Regional pilots with pay cuts will be below the national poverty level. If I were on the Mesaba MEC, this would be the first thing that would go public. When you put your family on an aircraft, do you want the cheapest or the most qualified? If you don't think the two are connected, your fooling yourself. Don't sell your self short and fly for less than your worth.

Ace McCoy said:
Were you even here during the NWA strike?

Thanks to KaptainKarl, you probably know who I am. So why don't you go and find out for yourself if it concerns you so much.

On that note, I can't remember ever seeing a post on here where someone's name is called out. You have a special place in my heart KaptainKarl.

TinGoose1 said:
That is the first thing that the Mesaba MEC should do if confronted. Like I posted earlier, it is more likely that a regional pilot will withdraw his/her services before a major/national. People who make more money have more to lose.

I disagree with you, TinGoose1. The regional guys will stick it out long enough to get out and find a better job. They will complain the whole way, but they won't quit. They still have 25-30 years ahead of them in the BS industry. I suspect XJ not striking after all this bankruptcy BS...90 seaters are on their way!

Newsflash!

Well lets call ya kreskin.
XJ doesn't strike as a rule, Duh.
90 seaters to be flown by NWA Lite. (name dujour)

Screwed again,

That "if you give in well grow" carrot is used everywhere. If you believe it, now that's another issue all together. I don't think that people will be willing to go into poverty just to fly a 90 seater. This is all predicated on the fact that Mesaba pilots will be able to sit left seat in those aircraft. If McLain has his way, they will be fuloughed NWA pilots in those seats. You guys have more to lose by giving in to management than you have to gain. Either way, I hope you guys hold strong and test the courts ruling.

CWASaab said:
Either way, there are several groups further along in the process than Mesaba. Aloha airlines filed with the Bankruptcy court its intent to file an 1113(c) motion on Friday and asked for expetided hearings. If filed the motion at Aloha will be heard initially on Oct. 28th and 31st. Aloha's management is desparate to consumate their relationship with Yucaipa and AAIG, and they need concessions to get it done. The pilots are not onboard yet, and it they may very well be the first to test the legal waters.

NWA may also test the waters before Mesaba.

Stay tuned....

Test the waters? Surf is up in Hawaii! We are getting out our big rhino chaser guns! EDDIE WOULD WALK.

Latest resources

Back