Mesaba Mgmt "Pleas for Sacrifice"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
YourPilotFriend said:
Knowing someone or sometimes it's political.

Exactly.

It has NOTHING to do with the level of talent or the accuracy of their ethical compass (actually I think it's a prerequesite that this option must be inop).

The industry is infested with the least talented business bums that can't succeed anywhere else.

NWA management umbrella (Mesaba too) is the Crown Jewel of that arena...........all the more reason for someone to finally sand a long overdue message.

These characters CARE NOTHING about their employees. They are only interested in reinventing NWA to insure that it can stay an engine that produces green pocket lining for the only people that count.

Here's hoping that the F/A's can FORCE responsibility and ethics at NWA or sack the place into liquidation.

Plenty of other F/A jobs or outside industry jobs out there nowadays.

Imagine the fear of the top circle crooks when they get little or no parachute AND they have to go interview for a REAL job.................now you know why they are desperately doing what they're doing.

THEY ARE TRULY SCARED.

Last edited:
Go Tell BP for yourself...

I know there was alot of talk about ignoring our VP of FLT ops, B.P., when he comes to visit DTW on Monday and Tuesday. Yes, that might send a message, but let me tell you about the other option. I was able to attend the first meeting this morning in the DTW conference room. Unfortunately, I only got to spend about 10 minutes, but that was enough. B.P. was surrounded with a group of 10-15 people that made it clear in no uncertain terms that we were ready to close the doors. He asked, to paraphrase, "what would happen if mngt puts it's final offer on the table and the union does as well, and their's still a big gap?" At that point, the pilots erupted with , "burn it down", "close the doors," "we're done,"etc... Another sentiment offered by several people is that "we just don't care anymore." The "don't care" came from several people and really conveyed the feelings of most in the room (as indicated by the nods and "uh huhs" coming from around the room.

I have to say that it felt GREAT to stand in front of a Senior Leader and tell him to his face that I don't care about my job, my airline, etc because of the farse (sp) that they've made of it in the last few years. I would urge any XJ type that happens to be around DTW ops tomorrow (Tues) to go have have it out with B.P. If nothing else, it's a great way to vent. I think the times tomorrow are 8:30, 11:30, and 2:30 but I'm not positive. Check for the sign in ops or ask a C.P.

MM

Thanks for the update MM. Inspiring news.

Does anyone know the website for XJ pilots to keep in touch? I thought it was xjpilots, but that doesn't seem to work. Thanks.

Mesabi Miner,

Thanks for the report. Even if you were there for a short time your report makes me proud to have been a part of the Mesaba pilot group (voluntary furlough). It makes me feel good to know that the feelings among the group are nearly, if not fully, unanimous. It sends a message that must be taken seriously if any of those in upper management have even a quarter of a brain. (half a brain was being too complimentary).

I wish I could have been there to express my feelings as well. If he shows up for the meeting tomorrow someone please post an additional report for those of us that don't have the access anymore.

All of the Mesaba employees that remain - stand strong! All of us that have been part of the "family" are watching and we support you 110%.

C-Yaaaa!!!

DTW Meeting

My favorite was when we asked Billy if he would do his job for $40K a year and stay here at Mesaba, in which he replied with a quick "NO"! Well, Why Not? "Because I couldn't support my family on that wage!" LMFAO! Well-try doing it on less than $30K/year for several years in a row!

I think he got our message that most don't care anymore! Because most of us know that either way this goes (liquidation or impose) we'll be looking for new jobs anyway for the very statement that he made...we couldn't afford to support our families. The reality is that all the company loyalty and love for your job in the world is not going to pay your home mortgage.

B.P. did say we are running out of cash extremely quickly and wishes the union would come back to the table to negotiate. We pointed out that the latest union offer to company is even a longshot at best to ratify. Basically he said they desperately need everything they are asking and explained why, and we told him where we stand, and we almost all agreed (himself included) that if the gap that exists, is indeed each sides bottom line, the company will be closing their doors. It surprised him how well most in the room were comfortable with the reality of that statement.

A rather interesting meeting to say the least! Very informative for what you can believe from them. I think he got a good idea of how the employees truly feel! If you get a chance to go on tuesday,9/12 in DTW, I recommend it! Fly Safe!

Last edited:
B.P crew room meetings are designed to do one thing, make everybody believe things are so bleak that your best option is to move on since you won't be able to put food on the table for what there asking. Every pilot they can scare off the seniority list is one dollar in their pocket and if its a senior guy its probably two dollars. When management is ready to talk they will talk. No matter what Billy boy says about running out of cash time is on managements side. When they get the green light to talk from big brother they will be there. Im not going to say or predect what it will be but I believe there will be a T.A to vote on in the future and until then the scare tactics will continue. This whole process is designed to get guys to quit, if they start the 10 day window that is the finale to the scare tactics but at day 9.853 there will be a T.A

Whataboutbob's got it right.

There's probably some magical average seniority number that they need to hit, and then the carrot will appear. And then we'll see ads in Private Pilot magazine. "Like airplanes? Got two eyes? Send $50k, three Campbell's Soup labels, and an S.A.S.E. to NoobAirUniversity in Eagan, MN. We'll send you the finest DOS-based flight sim money can buy. In about 6 weeks, you too can be in the right seat of a Shiny Jet! Gubment assistance available to those who qualify!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back