Mesaba Hiring Rumor Mill

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Word on the street is that Mesaba has ceased interviews until the CRJ stuff is fully organized and figured out. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Im still considering throwing my stuff in in hopes of getting hired and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot.

Thanks
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
one other quick question...what kind of training contract does Mesaba have?
 
T

Towelie

Irish Pilot said:
Word on the street is that Mesaba has ceased interviews until the CRJ stuff is fully organized and figured out. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Im still considering throwing my stuff in in hopes of getting hired and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot.

Thanks
Not true. Mesaba always interviews in spurts but we have not "ceased interviews" at all.

Not sure what you mean by "until the CRJ stuff is fully organized and figured out." The check airmen are getting sim training in Montreal right now and the first group of new hire fo's are about to start systems.

Send your stuff in if you want. Interviewing and hiring will continue for some time. One Saab and Avro class a month and two CRJ classes a month through the end of the year for sure.
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Towelie said:
Not true. Mesaba always interviews in spurts but we have not "ceased interviews" at all.

Not sure what you mean by "until the CRJ stuff is fully organized and figured out." The check airmen are getting sim training in Montreal right now and the first group of new hire fo's are about to start systems.

Send your stuff in if you want. Interviewing and hiring will continue for some time. One Saab and Avro class a month and two CRJ classes a month through the end of the year for sure.
sweet. :)
 

Positive Rate

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Posts
93
Total Time
Yep.
Walked a res in the other day for a friend.....The Chief said he would give them a call in a couple of weeks....like dude said they go in spurts
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Positive Rate said:
Walked a res in the other day for a friend.....The Chief said he would give them a call in a couple of weeks....like dude said they go in spurts
spurts I can live with. :)
 

convair007

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Posts
62
Total Time
5000+
Can anyone tell me how strict Mesaba is about the 75 hrs in 90 days thing. Will this make or break an applicant?
 

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Posts
1,481
Total Time
6AM
convair007 said:
Can anyone tell me how strict Mesaba is about the 75 hrs in 90 days thing. Will this make or break an applicant?
Good question. Someone posted on the "Mesaba Sucks" :rolleyes: thread that he hadn't flown in 6 months. Maybe you could PM him.

I do know we are short FOs in DTW on the SAAB. We're getting fat on Captains, waiting for the flood to the CRJ, I would guess.

Good luck getting hired! And your first tip for flying the line: When you call for clearance, don't tell them we are IFR to yada yada. They KNOW!
 

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Joined
Dec 19, 2001
Posts
1,036
Total Time
11000
Hey Irish Pilot,

Maybe it is me and I apologize if it is, but your posts have rubbed me the wrong way. You sound a little too arrogant.....If it is me then once again I appologize if not then go apply somewhere else. I really hate flying with arrogant FO's
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Simon Says said:
Hey Irish Pilot,

Maybe it is me and I apologize if it is, but your posts have rubbed me the wrong way. You sound a little too arrogant.....If it is me then once again I appologize if not then go apply somewhere else. I really hate flying with arrogant FO's
:confused: How do they sound arrogant? Most of my posts have been in the form of questions. Guess I am a little confused myself on this one. Sorry if I came off that way. :(
 
Last edited:

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Towelie said:
Not sure what you mean by "until the CRJ stuff is fully organized and figured out." The check airmen are getting sim training in Montreal right now and the first group of new hire fo's are about to start systems.
One of the guys I work with who usually keeps pretty good tabs on the goings-on of the industry said that Mesaba had stopped interviewing for awhile...partially because they havent fully figured out the training side of the CRJ and they still hadnt released an official CRJ hub. Didnt seem legit to me...but I figured I would check on here with guys that actually fly for Mesaba to see if it was true. (Which I had assumed it wasnt...hence the joking title of "Mesaba Hiring Rumor Mill) :)
 

ImbracableCrunk

Unregistered Un-User
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Posts
1,481
Total Time
6AM
Irish Pilot said:
One of the guys I work with who usually keeps pretty good tabs on the goings-on of the industry said that Mesaba had stopped interviewing for awhile...partially because they havent fully figured out the training side of the CRJ and they still hadnt released an official CRJ hub. Didnt seem legit to me...but I figured I would check on here with guys that actually fly for Mesaba to see if it was true. (Which I had assumed it wasnt...hence the joking title of "Mesaba Hiring Rumor Mill) :)
MSP has been the "Official CRJ Hub" for a while now. You didn't get the commemorative pin and coaster set?
 

fly4ever

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Posts
334
Total Time
enough
I'm sorry if this hijacks the thread a little bit but I agree with Simon Says when he mentions the "arrogant" tone.

First a note, we are really glad to have hiring going on and it is continuing. The CRJ program is very well established and is running on schedule according to the latest at the training center. We are hiring into all three aircraft.

With that said, the newhires should keep in mind that you can make this job as enjoyable as you want by being thankful you have a job with a company that is far from being the worst in the regional industry.

One guy I know(not working at XJ) just told me today that one of his buddies has been at Mesaba two months and supposedly credited 120 hours last month(possible since we are short FOs in DTW). He then follows that up by saying that this buddy of his is "bored to death". What kind of crap is that!

Someone with this attiude should go back to the excitement of flight instruction or traffic flying or whatever he may have done before he came to XJ. Two months on the job, not sitting reserve and already complaining! For crying out loud!

Start by being grateful then start paying attention because most (not all) of you newhires haven't been exposed to the kind of flying that we do at XJ and with winter coming things will definitely not be BORING!

Keep in mind that the captains you will be flying with have been through the more stressful times here and many sat reserve for 3 or more years. YOU DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN (at least out loud). If you don't like the company - go somewhere else where you might get a little sympathy because you aren't going to get it at XJ.

Once again, I apologize for the hijack and the rant - I feel sort of better now.

Fly
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Can you please tell me how I am being arrogant?

If its in regards to hoping I would get a CRJ slot...how is that arrogant? There are certain things that always come into play when looking at a new job...location and equipment are two of them. Just because I would be hopeful to get a job and a crj slot makes me arrogant? I have stated in another thread that I would be glad just to have the interview-job and would be happy to have any of the AC....Saab included. I guess I am completely missing something here...how is asking questions about about a potential gig arrogant? When you were looking at your respective carrier (Mesaba as it may be) can you tell me you didnt have questions about the equipment and bases? How is asking these questions arrogant?
 

Dodge

Four engines are nice
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Posts
474
Total Time
6000+
irish,
you sound arrogant because you didn't write, "I love Minneapolis.":)

You're right, one should ask questions. Why fly a prop if you can go anywhere else and fly a jet? If you are going to be stuck in a FO position for 5+ years, you better go somewhere that flies aircraft you like. If one doesn't like the junior bases at an airline, one keeps their options open. And on and on.

As far as the CRJ goes, I know nothing than what staffing puts out but they aren't in any hurry to train pilots, at least the class size doesn't reflect it. But, these numbers will go up in the future.

Best of luck to you.
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
Dodge said:
irish,
you sound arrogant because you didn't write, "I love Minneapolis.":)

You're right, one should ask questions. Why fly a prop if you can go anywhere else and fly a jet? If you are going to be stuck in a FO position for 5+ years, you better go somewhere that flies aircraft you like. If one doesn't like the junior bases at an airline, one keeps their options open. And on and on.

As far as the CRJ goes, I know nothing than what staffing puts out but they aren't in any hurry to train pilots, at least the class size doesn't reflect it. But, these numbers will go up in the future.

Best of luck to you.
Thanks Dodge.

I guess it just bothers me that I could have an "arrogant tone" while asking questions...or that someone would say something like that. Just PM me and say something or ask me whats up! Whats up with people bashing others around here all the time? WTF? Its like grade school bully stuff...does it make you feel better about yourself to talk down other people-pilots?

Im sorry if what I have asked or said comes off as arrogant...I am hoping its just that you have read too much into it. I guess I should clarify a few things since I am not sure exactly what came off as arrogant.

  • When I consider applying for a new position its nice to have as much information to use as possible about a potential employer. It just so happens that this place is great for asking people who actually work there and generally can give you an honest response questions. If that comes off as sounding like getting the job is no problem or something I apologize...but the reality is that with a new job many things change...asking questions helps to understand whats coming and helps you make decisions. I am very aware that you are probably very clear about this which makes me wonder why this would be considered "arrogant."
  • Honestly...the reason that I would apply has nothing to do with the CRJ...though I am not going to lie...I sure would be happy to get it. Obviously Mesaba is hiring right now and odds are better for getting MSP. Mesaba is important to me for two reasons....MSP and happy pilots. Being a MN kid Ive always hoped to fly for Mesaba and ideally Northwest. I would be more than happy in any airplane offered should I recieve the job...MSP is my priority...not equipment. However I think that you would agree that the CRJ is a more desireable airplane...especially if it meant that I could get MSP right off the bat.
I am just another guy in line hoping to get the phone call for an interview and also maybe a job offer at some point. I dont think I am any more deserving than the next guy...nor do I think it would be an easy job to get...and I would be very grateful to get an offer. I am not sure what came off as arrogant...but I am not a person that is very hesitant to ask questions...especially about something that excites me.

I guess I will have to be more careful about asking questions around here...which is unfortunate because thats the best part about this place.
 

fly4ever

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Posts
334
Total Time
enough
Irish,

I received your PM and thought I would just reply publicly. Your original post included the following statement,

"Im still considering throwing my stuff in in hopes of getting hired and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot."

The reason that sounded a little arrogant to me was because of a couple of points:

1. "considering throwing my stuff in..."

If you really would be "grateful to get an offer" as you state in a later post then you better quit wasting time and get it in because XJ isn't going to come looking for you and you certainly won't be the only candidate out there for an aircraft, any aircraft, that we operate. If you are fortunate to get asked to interview make the most of it and enjoy the process but remember, you aren't entitled to a job here, you have to earn it.

2. "and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot."

We will operate all three of our fleets in and out of MSP. For some reason, up-and-comers like yourself, have the "shiny jet syndrome" and this affliction can be detrimental to your career. It's ok to desire a jet but we have had a few in the not too distant past that when they found out they were getting the Saab at the end of the first week of training they literally stood up in class and announced that they were quitting because they didn't get the Avro. Arrogance and a sense of entitlement caused these individuals to make a rash decision that could affect their future employment - the aviation world is a small place.

XJ pilots that were on the list prior to Feb. 2004 are the ones that suffered through some very stressful times in the past including some who were furloughed once or even twice and still came back with no complaints. We have Captains who were on reserve for over four years and FO's on reserve for at least three years. Those of us who were in the middle of that situation tend to respond a little negatively to statements like yours because we know what it took for us to get where we are and you will not experience what we went through. Be thankful and hopeful that you won't have to go through a 9/11 event and contract negotiations all at once ever again.

You absolutely are doing the right thing to research the places you might want to apply to but don't let the "shiny jet syndrome" stop you from applying to a company that has a great group of people to work with overall. We will gladly welcome you. I apologize if my statements offend you.
 

Regional4life

Well-known member
Joined
May 8, 2005
Posts
142
Total Time
6000
Anyone else ready for the fall temperatures to get here? I'm tired of sweating my balls off in the cockpit and letting little thing get to me :). But hey, at least I'm losing weight.

Not to change subjects, but anyone have info on the engine failure in cruise about a week ago? I heard it was catastrophic but can't back it up with any details.
 

Irish Pilot

What An Industry
Joined
Feb 22, 2005
Posts
186
Total Time
Enough
fly4ever said:
Irish,

I received your PM and thought I would just reply publicly. Your original post included the following statement,

"Im still considering throwing my stuff in in hopes of getting hired and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot."

The reason that sounded a little arrogant to me was because of a couple of points:

1. "considering throwing my stuff in..."

If you really would be "grateful to get an offer" as you state in a later post then you better quit wasting time and get it in because XJ isn't going to come looking for you and you certainly won't be the only candidate out there for an aircraft, any aircraft, that we operate. If you are fortunate to get asked to interview make the most of it and enjoy the process but remember, you aren't entitled to a job here, you have to earn it.

2. "and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot."

We will operate all three of our fleets in and out of MSP. For some reason, up-and-comers like yourself, have the "shiny jet syndrome" and this affliction can be detrimental to your career. It's ok to desire a jet but we have had a few in the not too distant past that when they found out they were getting the Saab at the end of the first week of training they literally stood up in class and announced that they were quitting because they didn't get the Avro. Arrogance and a sense of entitlement caused these individuals to make a rash decision that could affect their future employment - the aviation world is a small place.

XJ pilots that were on the list prior to Feb. 2004 are the ones that suffered through some very stressful times in the past including some who were furloughed once or even twice and still came back with no complaints. We have Captains who were on reserve for over four years and FO's on reserve for at least three years. Those of us who were in the middle of that situation tend to respond a little negatively to statements like yours because we know what it took for us to get where we are and you will not experience what we went through. Be thankful and hopeful that you won't have to go through a 9/11 event and contract negotiations all at once ever again.

You absolutely are doing the right thing to research the places you might want to apply to but don't let the "shiny jet syndrome" stop you from applying to a company that has a great group of people to work with overall. We will gladly welcome you. I apologize if my statements offend you.
1. "considering throwing my stuff in..."

I think you are reading WAY too much into this. All that I mean is that I am waying some pros and cons and thinking about submitting my application-resume. You would agree you have done this before most jobs you have hoped for? I cant believe I am defending the phrase in the first place lol.

2. "and better yet landing a CRJ-MSP slot."

When you apply for your next job wouldnt you hope for the newest equipment? Hell yeah you would...and yes you would be more than happy with anything because (and even though I may be an "up and comer" I do understand this) at some point a plane is a plane and its the job and QOL thats important. You know most guys applying right now are hoping for a CRJ slot...that to me isnt anything to stress...who the hell wouldnt want the newest stuff? Also...for me the CRJ means MSP right off the bat.

I think you guys have read way too far into my posts and are taking this way too seriously. Either way, I apologize if my posts came off with a negative or arrogant tone.
 
Top