• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Hiring Rumor Mill

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually there are quite a few, if not the majority, who are hoping for the Saab because of a few reasons.

1. Even though you won't be based in msp right away, you will be very soon.
2. The training dept is not teaching a brand new airplane and unless your just not fit to fly, you will make it through training easily.
3. The schedules are established and chances of junior-manning, extended days, etc are minimal.
4. You won't be sitting reserve getting min pay for months on end because of all the greenliners.
5. You will be upgrading in the saab, unless you think your just going to "hold out for the crj", and it never hurts to know the airplane your taking your ATP in.

Those seem like pretty good reasons to hope for the saab, I know I was happy/relieved when I got it.

That's just because I was your captain in the sim :)

W&BWiz said:
Actually there are quite a few, if not the majority, who are hoping for the Saab because of a few reasons.

1. Even though you won't be based in msp right away, you will be very soon.
2. The training dept is not teaching a brand new airplane and unless your just not fit to fly, you will make it through training easily.
3. The schedules are established and chances of junior-manning, extended days, etc are minimal.
4. You won't be sitting reserve getting min pay for months on end because of all the greenliners.
5. You will be upgrading in the saab, unless you think your just going to "hold out for the crj", and it never hurts to know the airplane your taking your ATP in.

Those seem like pretty good reasons to hope for the saab, I know I was happy/relieved when I got it.

All reasons that certainly make good sense.

We will operate all three of our fleets in and out of MSP. For some reason, up-and-comers like yourself, have the "shiny jet syndrome" and this affliction can be detrimental to your career. It's ok to desire a jet but we have had a few in the not too distant past that when they found out they were getting the Saab at the end of the first week of training they literally stood up in class and announced that they were quitting because they didn't get the Avro. Arrogance and a sense of entitlement caused these individuals to make a rash decision that could affect their future employment - the aviation world is a small place.

XJ pilots that were on the list prior to Feb. 2004 are the ones that suffered through some very stressful times in the past including some who were furloughed once or even twice and still came back with no complaints. We have Captains who were on reserve for over four years and FO's on reserve for at least three years. Those of us who were in the middle of that situation tend to respond a little negatively to statements like yours because we know what it took for us to get where we are and you will not experience what we went through. Be thankful and hopeful that you won't have to go through a 9/11 event and contract negotiations all at once ever again.

Your going to be that grumpy old captain (or maybe you already are) that verbally abuses all of your FO's because they "don't know the meaning of paying dues." Relax why don't you. Don't take it out on others that your career hasn't panned out the way you planned. You'll never find anyone who deserves the blame for the choices you made.

Irish has asked legitimate questions and is trying to make the best decision possible. Don't label him a young punk with SJS because he wants the CRJ. I have extensive time in both the Saab and CRJ and the Saab SUCKS! I'm sorry you believe that everyone must endure the pitfalls of your career. QOL starts with enjoying the equipment you operate.

Irish, I hope you find the answers to your questions and I hope you land the best job you can. Good Luck.

"We will operate all three of our fleets in and out of MSP. For some reason, up-and-comers like yourself, have the "shiny jet syndrome" and this affliction can be detrimental to your career. "

I have SJS to an extent, which is why I chose 9E two years ago... but you really could call it "widebody syndrome" where I'm trying to go fly heavies and make lots of money as soon as possible. There is a detrimental side effect of this to my career though: it makes me very sexually attracted to your mom.

Regional4life said:
Anyone else ready for the fall temperatures to get here? I'm tired of sweating my balls off in the cockpit and letting little thing get to me :). But hey, at least I'm losing weight.

Hey, how come in the summer we sweat our balls off, but in the winter we freeze out nuts off?

Also, I gotsta agree with Hoofy and Doiy. He's excited about a new job prospect - cut him some slack. I know a ton of people back in 2001 who were all like, "I can't wait for my NWA class. I hope I get the A320! Did you throw your stuff in?"

DoinTime,

First, I didn't label Irish a "young punk" you did by making that statement. You don't even know me and you're calling me names - nice. Actually I won't be a grumpy old captain when the time comes. I enjoy my job and it has panned out for me so far. I just see things from a different perspective having worked in other jobs(flying and not flying) before XJ.

It just cracks me up when someone wants a job so badly but then limits themselves by thinking they can be so selective. The bean counters are who get to be selective, just ask the NWA mechanics that are walking the picket lines or the pilots that have been furloughed.

Peanuckle,

Your view of "widebody syndrome" is what may get you a job flying an A319/20(not a widebody) for 30 dollars an hour. How many widebody jobs do you think are available out there now? Heck, when NWA mainline pilots are asked for more concessions including furloughing another 1100-1200 pilots you'll probably be the guy that steps right in to fly that A330 for less than what you got paid as a newhire on the CRJ. You have the ultimate version of "shiny jet syndrome".

It is good to have discussion, ask questions etc... I'm not trying to be a name caller and I apologize if that is the way it came across but I am entitled to my opinion just like everyone else.

I wish Irish Pilot good luck and, as I stated before, if you get a job at XJ you will be welcome. We are glad to see the list grow and we actually have some hope for the future after several years of very little positive stuff happening. With that I will bow out of the conversation as I have a good job flying a Saab and it's time to go.

Respectfully,
Fly

Last edited:
Allow me to jump in here...
DoinTime needs to clarify-the Saabs at Pinnacle sucked. We should know we got about 10 of your straight B's and OH WHAT A JOY they are to fly...I dont blame you for that opinion but the points being made here are good ones...

It's exciting to get hired into a jet...but in reality it doesnt mean a whole lot.
1. Newhires are not chosen to fly the jet because of their SUPERIOR flying skills
2. All FO's at Mesaba make the same money, you're not financially better off flying our jets (until you upgrade)
3. The first plane FO's will be able to hold captain on is the Saab, unless you HOLD OUT like some.

As far as I am concerned the Saab is the best thing for your new career...just spend one Winter in the Mid-west. That's REAL flying and REAL experience. You might get that on our jets as well...but I guarantee you not to the extent that you would on the Saab. So bash it all you want but Pinnacle still sucks.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back