Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba has [blank]... Does Pinnacle and Colgan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Butters

Keepin' it real...
A few of us were talking in the crewroom today and I realized we know a lot about Pinnacle and Colgan but there is quite a bit we don't know. Specifically what kind of training, safety, and other programs each other has.

So, I thought I'd make a list of what Mesaba has and I'd appreciate it if some Pinnacle and Colgan pilots could comment on what you have. This will help us get an idea of what each other does. Please add to the list if there is anything I missed.

Thanks!

Mesaba has:

ASAP - Yes
FOQA - Yes (in development; LOA is signed)
PBS - Yes
LOSA - No (we have a poor man's version called "FOSA")
AQP - Yes (in development; trials underway)
SMS - No
Seniority list check airmen/APDs - Yes
Seniority list sim instructors - Yes (no contract training at all)
Seniority list ground instructors - Some (most are not but they do a good job)
Simulator location - Currently all in our training base of MSP

yahoo article today stated Joe Williams said Pinnacle will drop the Colgan name and be 2 airlines. Pinnacle w/ jets and Mesaba with Props.

Mesaba has:

ASAP - Yes
PBS - Yes
SMS - No

ASAP - Yes
FOQA - Yes
PBS - Yes (but this is only as good as your contract language, which we don't have any in our current agreement)
LOSA - Not sure
AQP - No. That would take away from the threatening nature of our training program. FOs did just recently start a 6 month rotation for sim training instead of 12, though
SMS - I don't even know what this is, so probably not
Seniority list check airmen/ADP - Yes
Seniority list sim instructors - Only the check airmen. We have non-seniority list sim instructors as well
Seniority list ground instructors - Re-current (which is the only thing we'd need a ground instructor for) was being taught by a seniority list guy the past couple of years, however he's now in management. When we were hiring like gang busters, we also had non-seniority list ground instructors. They only bought guys off if they didn't have anyone else to teach.
Sim location - -200 sims are in MEM. I believe -900 training is in STL with the occasional YUL.

9E has LOSA. It caused us to not be allowed to read USA Today while flying. I'm sure it did more but that was the "immediate" safety change.

SMS - I don't even know what this is, so probably not

Yes, we have plenty of text-ers (SMS) at Pinnacle. Just make sure to look up once in a while when you taxi. Or when you approach MSP.

9E has LOSA. It caused us to not be allowed to read USA Today while flying. I'm sure it did more but that was the "immediate" safety change.
Didn't that change come when some idiot pulled a USA Today with a fed in the jumpseat? Either a fed or a Pinnacle APD.

Didn't that change come when some idiot pulled a USA Today with a fed in the jumpseat? Either a fed or a Pinnacle APD.

Whichever... You still can't fix stupid. As soon as you are told "this is non-jeopardy" the senses should heighten. Evidently being sick is a non-jeopardy event, yet could lead up to and including termination.

Colgan has:

ASAP - Yes
PBS - No (We were told it was "funded", but hasn't been implemented yet.)
LOSA - Yes, completed but the data hasn't been released yet.
AQP - No
SMS - No, but it is mentioned in the strategic plan for creating a just culture here at 9L
Seniority list sim instructors - Yes, but also non-seniority as well.
Seniority list ground instructors - Yes, but also non-seniority as well.
Simulator location - SAAB STL and IAH, Q-400 STL
Recurrent training is held at IAH, IAD, and EWR...Pay for your accomodations and typically scheduled during your days off with no compensation.

Colgan has:

ASAP - Yes
PBS - No (We were told it was "funded", but hasn't been implemented yet.)
LOSA - Yes, completed but the data hasn't been released yet.
AQP - No
SMS - No, but it is mentioned in the strategic plan for creating a just culture here at 9L
Seniority list sim instructors - Yes, but also non-seniority as well.
Seniority list ground instructors - Yes, but also non-seniority as well.
Simulator location - SAAB STL and IAH, Q-400 STL
Recurrent training is held at IAH, IAD, and EWR...Pay for your accomodations and typically scheduled during your days off with no compensation.[/QUOTE]

Are you F-ing kidding me? Why the hell does anyone show up for that crap?

A few of us were talking in the crewroom today and I realized we know a lot about Pinnacle and Colgan but there is quite a bit we don't know. Specifically what kind of training, safety, and other programs each other has.

So, I thought I'd make a list of what Mesaba has and I'd appreciate it if some Pinnacle and Colgan pilots could comment on what you have. This will help us get an idea of what each other does. Please add to the list if there is anything I missed.

Thanks!

Mesaba has:

ASAP - Yes
PBS - Yes
SMS - No

This is only true when we are not actually training, I had some training in STL by contract instructors in 07. The only reason we don't use them right now is because we have a light training load, if that changed we would go right back to contract.

Latest resources

Back