• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesaba Big Announcement on Friday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again, I have spoken to several folks on the MEC, including negotiators, and (nothing different than many times stated position), once those ARJ's go, they are not being replaced with a different 70 seater.

I seem to remember the CoEx MEC insisting on $100 @ 5 not to long ago. We all know that didn't pan out. What MEC's say and what MEC's do are two entirely different things. Time will tell.

Mel Sharples said:
From what I heard today, that may not be so far from the truth. Except it will be Mesaba, Pinnacle, and Champion to fly 70-seaters under a new company and then those people get NWA seniority numbers.

Yeah the new cert is from the sale of C* giving NWA a presence at MDW to increase growth across the midwest.

Very possible. Regardless of added flying under a new brand or certificate, Scope restrictions per the current CBA still apply. It's designed so it cannot just be sidestepped.

Of course another operation, not flying NWA code, with their own aircraft (means all current CRJ/ARJ's excluded) would be free to pursue whatever flying with whatever code they can scrounge.

In any case, here's hoping it's good news for MSA. Hasn't been enough of that going around lately.

Last edited:
nwaredtail said:
Word around NWA is that the Avro's will be returned to the leasor next year (there is a reason they have not be painted the new livery) and NWA wants to be able to give 36 70seaters to Pinnacle. Pinnacles crew costs are a lot lower than Mesaba, so this will help "the company". The company is selling this to the NWA MEC as "we already have 36 70 seaters, so why do you care who flys them?" NWA also wants to get convert the remaining CRJ options to Q-400 turbo props. I am assuming those would be offered to the lowest bidder or Horizon, since they already fly them.

NWA is also close to signing with Skywest to be the "3rd" regional carrier allowed in the latest TA with NWA ALPA. NWA is not happy with Pinnacle's performance and wants to spread the wealth.

Announcement is supposed to be later in the week. we will see.

What a total load of b.s.

You even contradict yourself. Let's see... NWA is so mad at Pinnacle that they are going to sign SkyWest and then give 70 seaters to Pinnacle?

Nice logic, chief.

Interesting

Okay, so here's what we know:
1. The parties we can confirm are: Mesaba Mgmt & MSA ALPA.
2. The parties NOT involved are: NWA ALPA.

We know that the C8 certificate is sold; to whom we don't know.

We know that this is not about 70 seaters - ref. #2 above.

We know that this news is better than worse for Mesaba pilots. (Most will like it, some will not).

It could be:
1. the allotment of the remaining Pinnacle CRJ's - but why would secret meetings be needed for that - the pay scale is already set.
2. an infusion of Q400's since the Saab is getting quickly obsolete due to weight and balance no.'s, not to mention durability (106 for xjers).

Why does XJ need to buy C8's certificate - why not use the Big Sky cert? Is that also bound to only NWA flying?

My thought: MAIR or NWA is buying C8's cert. (maybe along with Champion) to start a new low-fare airline out of Indy and MDW as a code share with NWA to fight SWA. MAIR has to use Mesaba pilots due to scope. Champion could partner for extra capital and assets?

Hmmm... please interject your thoughts - I may not be seeing some obstacles.

Let's go hear it from the ones that won't talk.

I'm not a die-hard unionizer, but there are LEC meetings "hub-wide" today. Perhaps we should all go and use some non-Geneva Convention tactics to get 'em to talk... Kidding of course, but these meetings may be interesting. XJers, check your email for times and locations. No, wait a minute... All I was interested in was the free food.

MM

2. an infusion of Q400's since the Saab is getting quickly obsolete due to weight and balance no.'s, not to mention durability (106 for xjers).

Q400's are not allowed under current NW pilot scope.

It's amazing what a "secret meeting" can do. A thread 12 pages, 169 posts, 16,000 hits since Wednesday!!!, a handful of mudslinging.... yet know one has any straight answers. (not that I have any but some of the bickering going on... wow...)

Our union is locked in a hotel. Hopefully they will emerge with good news. Until then, lets see how many more theories and arguments we can produce. cheers...

Anyone go to the local meetings today?

Last edited:
Gonna be headin' to the DTW meetin' in a little bit... Hopefully, there'll be some news sittin' there while I concentrate myself on the free food!

-W

Terry Hunter said:
It could be:
1. the allotment of the remaining Pinnacle CRJ's - but why would secret meetings be needed for that - the pay scale is already set.

True, but maybe they are discussing seat locks to help reduce the training cost. But that is about the only reason I can think of for negotiating the addition of 44-seaters.

Nice post, by the way. I like your logic...

Latest resources

Back