Mesa will waive wake turb...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sabreliner

Heading out to the runway the other night, heard a Mesa crew telling the tower they were about to time out. Tower helped out by moving them up behind a heavy DC-8 to get them out sooner. Mesa as they were taking the runway offered to waive the wake turb delay to make sure they didn't time out. Tower said no.

Does this bother anyone else? Seems to me I'd rather time out and go back to the gate rather than time out for good. Poor decision making.

This is what happens when you have a crappy contract that doesn't pay you properly for issues like this...you start to compromise safety for pay! Rediculous!!!

sabreliner said:
Heading out to the runway the other night, heard a Mesa crew telling the tower they were about to time out. Tower helped out by moving them up behind a heavy DC-8 to get them out sooner. Mesa as they were taking the runway offered to waive the wake turb delay to make sure they didn't time out. Tower said no.

Does this bother anyone else? Seems to me I'd rather time out and go back to the gate rather than time out for good. Poor decision making.

It bothers me that someone would openly admit anything on an ATC frequency.....It bothers me more that they would waive the wake turb delay. I've seen first hand what wake turb can do in a 19 seat airplane departing behind a DC-9. Way to go MESA, you got my vote for moron of the week!

Quack said:
This is what happens when you have a crappy contract that doesn't pay you properly for issues like this...you start to compromise safety for pay! Rediculous!!!

Does Mesa still not have cancellation pay?

I don't believe so. Like most of us, time out, we go home or to the hotel and get paid. Mesa, time out, go home and don't get paid, or try and wave a wake turbulence rule and put everybody at risk for a few bucks. Glad the controller had enough smarts to think for these guys.

Well, it's about time we have some new accident investigations to go over in ground school anyways.

If the Dash took off full length, then wake would be no problem... The Heavy would rotate way down the runway, and the Dash would carry a different flight path (if it were a intersection departure, I would be worried)....... But still.... I have never heard a 121 Carrier say we will wave the wake..... What a bunch of dummies!!!!

Workin'Stiff said:
Huh?? So the cross wind can keep the upwind vortex over the runway just alittle longer???
Depends on the wind velocity and direction. Not really worried about it with a 15-20 knot wind. You really think you need 3-4 minutes under those conditions? I wouldn't waive it Part 121 but DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS it could be relatively safe. I sure as hell wouldn't put it on tape that I was doing it for that reason. That may be dumber than waiving the separation in the first place.

Slice121 said:
Depends on the wind velocity and direction. Not really worried about it with a 15-20 knot wind. You really think you need 3-4 minutes under those conditions? I wouldn't waive it Part 121 but DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS it could be relatively safe. I sure as hell wouldn't put it on tape that I was doing it for that reason. That may be dumber than waiving the separation in the first place.

Yeah, that's what struck me as being really odd... I agree with you that the chances of it hanging around in a windy condition are pretty slim. But should something happen, it wouldn't look very good at the "board" while your doin' a carpet dance for waiving "wake turbulence separation."

Latest resources

Back