• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MESA or JB

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you're lucky, you'll be there when AA buys and staples JB. From blue dude to sky nazi! They'll probably have a supplement DD for JB :)

AA will be lucky if they can avoid bankruptcy, or lucky to even make it through bankruptcy. I understand their plan to manage costs is through "controlling labor costs." Maybe they need to be bought.

Last edited:
Did anyone consider that if AA goes into BK that no one may buy them and someone or lots of someones might just scavenge all the toys they have? Slots, hubs, what good parts of the fleet are left that aren't 20+ yrs old?

Not a cntrl, alt, del... but a whole new computer?

Did anyone consider that if AA goes into BK that no one may buy them and someone or lots of someones might just scavenge all the toys they have? Slots, hubs, what good parts of the fleet are left that aren't 20+ yrs old?

Not a cntrl, alt, del... but a whole new computer?

I dont think it possible for some other carrier to swoop in during Chap 11 BK and cherry pick the good parts of AMR to take. I know if AMR wanted to sell parts of its operation it could, but I dont think this can happen unwillingly until Chap 7.

A company funded retirement is very powerful. Even if you would be sufficient without it, it is the difference between retiring with X and XX. I want to have XX and it is pretty standard compensation for those in our position. To be content with X when XX is customary for our profession is unfortunate.

But, I would like him\her to explain why it isn't important.

What about XXX or XXXX?

What is "standard" for our profession in terms of retirement? All you retirement hardoners realize retirement is a deferred wage? Do you know anything about the time value of money? Do you want $1 today or $1 at age 65?

Based on your understanding of health insurance I'm not expecting much in terms of retirement. You sound like Daryl...

What about XXX or XXXX?

What is "standard" for our profession in terms of retirement? All you retirement hardoners realize retirement is a deferred wage? Do you know anything about the time value of money? Do you want $1 today or $1 at age 65?

You're right, "deferred wage" that you control in your own name in an account that is portable. Deferred means from the taxman. Did you know that $1 today in income is only $0.61 to invest after taxes? Yes you pay taxes at 65 too, but that is after a few decades of investment returns to help foot the bill.

Based on your understanding of health insurance I'm not expecting much in terms of retirement. You sound like Daryl...

Where am I wrong in self funding health insurance other than your words? JetBlue gets premium prices from an insurer and then sets a subsidy. JetBlue has no clue how to cost out health care insurance or be an administrator in it, it's outsourced.

You can't compare health plans simply on premium prices. What are the network provisions? Out of pocket max costs? Deductibles? Lifetime maxes? HSA available at JetBlue? Medical flex accounts available? Prescription drug coverages? Premiums? What are the JetBlue provisions? Perhaps put them out here and someone can actually HELP you make a proper decision versus bitching about them which does you nothing other than hearing you bitch.

In general, you are better off paying out of pocket with an HSA (keep the money in the HSA until retirement because that's where the REAL COST is - post retirement medical).

I'm willing to bet I know more about health insurance than you Lake Alice.

Last edited:
You're right, "deferred wage" that you control in your own name in an account that is portable. Deferred means from the taxman. Did you know that $1 today in income is only $0.61 to invest after taxes? Yes you pay taxes at 65 too, but that is after a few decades of investment returns to help foot the bill.

That 0.61 today GROWS to retirement as well is the part you are missing. Look no further than European government actions and how retirement account tax shelters can be OBLITERATED with the stroke of a pen. Do you trust our politicians if and when interest rates start rising and we are still in the economic toilet?

And no deferred means from YOU. They pay you lower, give you lower benefits in conjunction with a retirement plan. Are you not capable of using that money yourself and saving for retirement?

Do you have a brokerage account? 401ks are ANCIENT in terms of technology with only some options, mutual funds with exorbitant hidden fees you don't see, hidden administration costs you don't see, and the lack of an ability to shift money quickly (daily transactions versus by the second in an IRA). With the prevalence of ETFs that present a much cheaper broad market index ($5-10 commission) versus a mutual fund with a .1-.3% fee, IRAs are a much better vehicle IMO.

In terms of taxes, gains are now 15% taxed, versus income tax at retirement. I'll take a 15% tax rate now versus an unknown rate at retirement.

What about XXX or XXXX?

Wow, every time you say anything, you just make yourself look less intelligent. The "time value" of money is EXACTLY why we need a better 401K match NOW.

Care to make yourself look even more stupid?

Latest resources

Back