• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa/Go HI sleepy fallout = FAA BS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gregor said no action was taken against Go because it did nothing wrong and provided the pilots with a 15-hour break before their shift, nearly double what the FAA requires.

"It did nothing wrong"..... wtf? JO has done PLENTY wrong with the pilots of Mesa. I love how they say the 15 hr rest prior to flying was almost DOUBLE what the FAA requires. As if 8 hrs reduced rest is 'enough.' Such horse crap! If these pilots are going down, they should take Mesa's management down with them for allowing tough long grueling schedules and camping on airplanes (which, if I'm correct, was stopped only once that fact hit the media and spread like wildfire).

1. This certainly won't further the cause of more sane FAA rest requirements. 15 hrs is plenty, unless there's some sort of flip/flop scheduling going on . . . not here, apparently.

2. The non-sleep APNEA pilot doesn't have a leg to stand on, and good riddance to him/her. There are many pilot errors I'd be willing to give a one time pass on (cuz we're all human and no one was hurt), but falling asleep on a 15 minute flight isn't one of them.

3. The sleep APNEA pilot case is more interesting. I wonder if he'll have grounds to get a job back at Mesa (i.e. fired for a unknown medical condition), if he'll get workers comp, or ever get a medical back?

It also seems curious that the FAA suspended the ticket of a guy with sleep apnea. Maybe they thought he should have self-diagnosed himself earlier and gone to the doctor?

My money, however, is on the APNEA pilot going cheap and using Mesa-ALPA legal counsel. In my humble OPINION, this is never your best option, particularly when you're in this kind of trouble.

narcolepsy is when you fall asleep instantly, you're standing there and then lights out. sleep apnea is a disruption of sleep causing lack of quality rest.

Totally agree...I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea due to my tonsils (They were F'kin HUGE! Like golf ball huge!) about 2 weeks ago. Had to have "emergency" surgery to get them out on the 11th and now feel like a completely different person.

I imagine the same for that guy or something along those lines. If you feel you arent getting quality sleep go see a Dr. about it...you might need to get fixed up!

3. The sleep APNEA pilot case is more interesting. I wonder if he'll have grounds to get a job back at Mesa (i.e. fired for a unknown medical condition), if he'll get workers comp, or ever get a medical back?

It also seems curious that the FAA suspended the ticket of a guy with sleep apnea. Maybe they thought he should have self-diagnosed himself earlier and gone to the doctor?

I'll tell you what. I bet there are many of us out there that have this condition and are totally unaware of it.

A major clue for anybody, is if they snore when they sleep. Snoring is your airway closing while you are breathing, and your body reacts by waking yourself up just enough to reopen the airway. (ie, you never get quality rest while you are asleep)

(They were F'kin HUGE! Like golf ball huge!)

That's what she said. (Sorry, couldn't have a completely serious response)

I know the FO...When I was going through initial ground, he was staying in the same hotel as us ERJ guys. He use to go party and get slammed drunk the night before a in-doc or systems test(surprisingly he aced em) and we would have to drag him out of bed to get him to the hotel van. He almost got us into a fight at a bar one night cuz he was hitting on this guys chick. I am not surprised to read he was the FO. He had received a few talks from our union reps about his professionalism.... It finally caught up with him

How is that FAA BS?

They fell asleep with 40 people on board and could have continued straight out to sea until the low fuel warnings woke them up when it was too late. They did something wrong and they got punished. I don't care if its Mesa Airlines or my own airline, that's not BS, that's the way the world works.

Amen. They screwed up, got disciplined, and have to go on living. Hopefully they take more responsibility for their actions than Avi8tor2000 evidently would. And they're only done in aviation if they give up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back