• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

Mesa/Go HI sleepy fallout = FAA rest BS

http://news.yahoo.com/story//ap/20080924/ap_on_re_us/sleeping_pilots

FAA suspends sleeping airline pilots

HONOLULU – Two pilots for Hawaii's Go airlines who slept through their flight's landing procedure were suspended for the careless and reckless operation of an aircraft, the Federal Aviation Administration said Tuesday.
The pilots, who have been fired by Go, completed their suspensions on Sept. 9, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said. He did not know whether they are flying again with a different carrier.
Captain *&^&***** who was also cited for failing to maintain radio communications, had his license suspended for 60 days. First Officer *&^%$#@ 24, was suspended for 45 days.
Gregor said no action was taken against Go because it did nothing wrong and provided the pilots with a 15-hour break before their shift, nearly double what the FAA requires.
The National Transportation Safety Board had determined the two pilots fell asleep on the Feb. 13 flight from Honolulu to Hilo.
*&^$ was later diagnosed with a severe obstructive sleep apnea. It causes people to stop breathing repeatedly, preventing a restful night of sleep.
However, it was still unclear how both pilots fell asleep on the brief midmorning flight, which was carrying 40 passengers.

Last edited:
Know nothing about the Hawaii area, but HNL to Hilo? How long is that, 15 to 20 minutes?? Even an old geezer like me (in my 50's) can stay awake that long!!!

How both guys fell asleep during such a SHORT leg is puzzling. If his sleep apnea is that intrusive, maybe he shouldn't have a medical. It almost sounds like narcolepsy, which I would imagine is medically disqualifying.

Anyway, how do you think this termination and suspension will bear on their future prospects for employment.

Anyone have similar tales to tell?

narcolepsy is when you fall asleep instantly, you're standing there and then lights out. sleep apnea is a disruption of sleep causing lack of quality rest.

narcolepsy is when you fall asleep instantly, you're standing there and then lights out. sleep apnea is a disruption of sleep causing lack of quality rest.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the differentiation. My point was that his sleep apnea symptoms seem to borderline on a narcoleptic condition. Sleep apnea shouldn't be an issue while you're awake (daytime) as much as it is while you're sleeping. Sleep apnea is an issue if you're sleeping due to airway constrictions where breathing ceases periodically for 10 seconds or more.

Sleep apnea is not related to the chronic quality of your sleep. It's a physiological conditon brought upon by congenital or acquired medical conditions related to your circulatory/respiratory system.

Speaking of sleep apnea, I knew of a girl whose mom went in for elective knee surgery who had run-of-the-mill sleep apnea. Long story short, the doctor/hospital staff overlooked this condition and she wasn't prepped for it, post-surgery. She passed away and a lawsuit insued.

Last edited:
How is that FAA BS?

They fell asleep with 40 people on board and could have continued straight out to sea until the low fuel warnings woke them up when it was too late. They did something wrong and they got punished. I don't care if its Mesa Airlines or my own airline, that's not BS, that's the way the world works.

How is that FAA BS?

They fell asleep with 40 people on board and could have continued straight out to sea until the low fuel warnings woke them up when it was too late. They did something wrong and they got punished. I don't care if its Mesa Airlines or my own airline, that's not BS, that's the way the world works.

The low fuel alert on a CRJ is the low oil pressure triple-chime as the engines spool down.

Latest resources

Back