• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Melted Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That engine did not relight. I've seen engines like that before. That slag you see is the turbine blades. When they fail, they melt and it happens without stalling the plane.

A likely scenario here is that they were in cruise at Fl340 and that engine cored out on them. Possibly, before they took appropriate action and descended to drift down altitude the airspeed bled off and flamed out the other engine.

Fuel flow is always a function of compressor speed/ outlet pressure and thrust lever. When an engine flames out, fuel flow drops accordingly. A flow reversal/ engine stall can cause an over temp, but not usually to the degree that you melt the turbine. I have seen fan blades damaged by stalls, but never the turbine.

Until I hear the final report, I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt here in that they were probably operating near the max altitude for their weight and were perhaps at ECON cruise so their airspeed was already slow. The engine cores, airspeed rapidly bleeds off and the other engine flames out.

Let's wait and see.

Or they got slow in the climb, snuffed both, got shaker, then pusher, pushed over at about -1.8G, slammed the FA into the ceiling, got lucky and got one re-lit.

but that's just the rumor.

If I know one thing, it's that pilots are a superb source of accurate information.

See what I did there?

Both pilots got canned immediately so i'm guessing it was gross negligence on their part . Scary to think that guys can get so complacent. It's a pretty monotonous job but wtf ? Get a cup of coffee, toothpick your eyelids open, do anything and if you absolutely can't keep your eyes open at least tell the other guy . Theres another guy at psa well known for sleeping on flights, hope this wakes his a$$ up at least . All conjecture on my part of course.

That engine did not relight. I've seen engines like that before. That slag you see is the turbine blades. When they fail, they melt and it happens without stalling the plane.

A likely scenario here is that they were in cruise at Fl340 and that engine cored out on them. Possibly, before they took appropriate action and descended to drift down altitude the airspeed bled off and flamed out the other engine.

Fuel flow is always a function of compressor speed/ outlet pressure and thrust lever. When an engine flames out, fuel flow drops accordingly. A flow reversal/ engine stall can cause an over temp, but not usually to the degree that you melt the turbine. I have seen fan blades damaged by stalls, but never the turbine.

Until I hear the final report, I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt here in that they were probably operating near the max altitude for their weight and were perhaps at ECON cruise so their airspeed was already slow. The engine cores, airspeed rapidly bleeds off and the other engine flames out.

Let's wait and see.

You are wrong.

There have been a number of cruise shakers lately. Long legs, long days, short nights, no auto-throttles? I heard they stalled at F340, they fought the pusher three times and on the third they flamed out. Trying a relight without sufficient airflow could core-lock the engine.

Latest resources

Back