MEI Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CalifDan

Thought it might be worth asking this here.

I went out to my local airport today and let the instructor, who has flown a few times with me as a safety pilot, know that I wanted to get my Muiti-engine Instructor Rating. I am not a CFI, but I am Commercial Single and Multi engine and Instrument Airplane. He was not sure that I could get an MEI without the CFI (single engine), but I don't see anything that suggests that it can't be done. So that is the first question.

The second question is that he said the MEI includes the double I stuff, so the checkride will include all of that. I'm not sure exactly what that means except that it will be somewhat more work. I suppose it means I can provide instrument instruction in a twin but not in a single.

Now, you all will ask me why I want to do it this way.

I own a Duchess. I do what I can do fly it 150 hours per year at least and I would rather add a rating than just go up and fly in circles. The cost differential is the cost of the instructor. If I rent a single to do the CFI, I am not flying my airplane, which I need to do, and the hourly cost more than triples for the instruction (including aircraft). Seems to me that while the MEI may be more work and even take some additional time, it is time I would be flying anyway.

Finally, once I do this, how big a deal is it to add the CFI part? Or, am I already a CFI with a limitation to providing instruction in multi-engine aircraft only?

CalifDan

1. Yes, you absolutely can get your MEI as an initial. While getting the single engine first is typical for most people, it's not a requirement. Hell, I've known people who got a CFII as their initial. All it would mean is that you'd be able to give instruction in a multiengine airplane only.

2. Not really sure. It seems to me that you'd be able to do the MEI only, but it's been a long while since I've gone over this.

3. You'd be a CFI as soon as you passed your MEI checkride, but only with an Airplane Multiengine class rating on your certificate. As far as adding on the Single Engine class rating, it'd be as easy as doing whatever is in the PTS for it. Shouldn't be too difficult. The add-ons are typically not nearly as hard as the initial.

Thought it might be worth asking this here.

I went out to my local airport today and let the instructor, who has flown a few times with me as a safety pilot, know that I wanted to get my Muiti-engine Instructor Rating. I am not a CFI, but I am Commercial Single and Multi engine and Instrument Airplane. He was not sure that I could get an MEI without the CFI (single engine), but I don't see anything that suggests that it can't be done. So that is the first question.

The second question is that he said the MEI includes the double I stuff, so the checkride will include all of that. I'm not sure exactly what that means except that it will be somewhat more work. I suppose it means I can provide instrument instruction in a twin but not in a single.

Now, you all will ask me why I want to do it this way.

I own a Duchess. I do what I can do fly it 150 hours per year at least and I would rather add a rating than just go up and fly in circles. The cost differential is the cost of the instructor. If I rent a single to do the CFI, I am not flying my airplane, which I need to do, and the hourly cost more than triples for the instruction (including aircraft). Seems to me that while the MEI may be more work and even take some additional time, it is time I would be flying anyway.

Finally, once I do this, how big a deal is it to add the CFI part? Or, am I already a CFI with a limitation to providing instruction in multi-engine aircraft only?

CalifDan

Really surprised that your instructor friend doesn't know the answers to your questions.

You can do MEI as initial. There will be no "double I" stuff (unless you request it). You are a CFI as soon as you pass any of the flight instructor checkrides as your initial - since "single-engine" instructor checkrides as initial are much more common it became kind of standard to refer to "single-engine" instructors as simply "CFI".

To add single-engine rating to your instructor certificate is straightforward, all the tasks are described in the PTS.

Really surprised that your instructor friend doesn't know the answers to your questions.

You can do MEI as initial. There will be no "double I" stuff (unless you request it). You are a CFI as soon as you pass any of the flight instructor checkrides as your initial - since "single-engine" instructor checkrides as initial are much more common it became kind of standard to refer to "single-engine" instructors as simply "CFI".

To add single-engine rating to your instructor certificate is straightforward, all the tasks are described in the PTS.

Ditto what AK said. You can take the CFI Initial checkride and get an Airplane Multi Engine rating on it. The Airplane Single Engine and Instrument Airplane ratings would be add-ons. The instrument [CFII] can be done either in a single or a multi. You don't have to do multi-engine approaches to have multi and instrument priviledges on your CFI ticket.

I have a question. If you only had your CFII, can't you technically give instrument instruction in both a single and a multi?

I have a question. If you only had your CFII, can't you technically give instrument instruction in both a single and a multi?

Not sure what scenario you have in mind. If you have CP-ASMEL and CFI-IA you can give instrument instruction in both a single and a multi. If CP-ASEL only then no instruction in a multi, 14 CFR 61.195 (c) states that quite clear.

Yes, having both the commercial single and multi with only the CFII. Some guys at my school say that you can't instruct in a multi without having an MEI, period. I have always interpreted it as non-class specific.

Yes, having both the commercial single and multi with only the CFII. Some guys at my school say that you can't instruct in a multi without having an MEI, period. I have always interpreted it as non-class specific.

It may not be possible at your school from the insurance perspective, but there is nothing that stops it from the regulations' point of view.

61.195 Flight Instructor Limitations and qualifications:
(b) Aircraft ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating.

Yes you can do it as the initial. You'll be able to teach multiengine airplane students only (at first) unless you add the -IA to your CFI certificate at which time you could teach instrument students in multiengine and (assuming you've got a Commercial -Single Engine Land rating as well as Multi-engine land) single engine ariplanes.

If you just got the -IA you could (assuming you've got CSEL/CMEL-IA) teach instrument students in both single and multiengine airplanes (faa handbook 8700.1)

The MEI was fun for me because it was an add-on (had the CFI/II), but I'm sure you'll do fine. If you own the airplane you know it inside out and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck and have fun!

-mini

Latest resources

Back