• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical fails may climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This might help some of you. It helped me manage weight through the worst work rules and absolute trash crew food CAL used to have/provide:

http://racingweight.com

I recommend the book no matter how good or bad your current fitness might be. Anyone else use/read this?

Another thought: CAL pilots might consider taking some action as a class. Our treatment was worse than any of us really could imagine at the time. We were set up to fail health wise.

"Don't you have disability coverage in your contract? Pull my medical for all I care. I'll be more than happy to collect 2/3 income for doing absolutely nothing."

Quite the cavalier attitude...You will be paid NOTHING Sir.

Sleep Apnea is NOT a disability under any LTD contract.

You will not be disabled and will not qualify for your Insurance/LTD.

You WILL have lost your FAA Medical and unless you have specific Insurance for that you will find yourself without income until you are re-qualified by the FAA Aeromedical Office in OKC.

Ready for THAT financially ?

I was, but it still SUCKED.

Been there, done it.

YKW
WL,

Did you go through it recently? What was the process to get your medical back? I heard you have to do the sleep test again after you've tried the CPAP for a couple of months. I also heard there's a new CPAP that "tells" on you by monitoring you're usage automatically if you're on a waiver for apnea. If you're not on target they pull the medical. My AME surprised me last time by asking if I snored a lot and said "the construction of the throat" looks like I might be likely to have apnea. My BMI is 26 and neck size well south of 17". With the latest FAA push I suspect he's going to ask for a sleep study before he'll issue me a medical. On what basis I do not know since I don't meet the stated criteria.

Last edited:
Friend of one of the guys I fly with just got his medical back from a sleep apnea diagnosis. It took him 5 months off from start to finish. His tongue in cheek response about the ordeal: Don't ever tell the FAA you have sleep apnea.

Whine Lover, I believe that is what wave flyer is referring too...

His CBA covers the LOSS of his medical, at which point he exercises the disability clauses associated with that coverage....

Those are great coverages, but naturally are negotiated. and it's the reason many an airline pilot has 'medical(ed) out' and waited till retirement kicked in and been just fine...

"Don't you have disability coverage in your contract? Pull my medical for all I care. I'll be more than happy to collect 2/3 income for doing absolutely nothing."

Quite the cavalier attitude...You will be paid NOTHING Sir.

Sleep Apnea is NOT a disability under any LTD contract.

You will not be disabled and will not qualify for your Insurance/LTD.

You WILL have lost your FAA Medical and unless you have specific Insurance for that you will find yourself without income until you are re-qualified by the FAA Aeromedical Office in OKC.

Ready for THAT financially ?

I was, but it still SUCKED.

Been there, done it.

YKW

Depends on how your particular policy is written. LTD can mean long term disability or it can mean simply loss of license. Or in others cases they have short term disability that covers part of their "out" time while sick time covers the rest. Point is, if you get dinged, get the moronic piece of junk equipment, stuff in it the bottom of your laptop or luch bag, and forget about it.

It's just amazing that the Feds are going to demand a test to determine if you have a disease for which you have no symptoms. Oh wait, I forgot Obama is in the oval office...

Anyone go for a medical recently? Is this implemented?

I went the other day, and while it wasn't discussed with me, she did check my weight against my height on a new wall chart that wasn't there the last time I went in. No neck measurements, but that info doesn't normally go to the FAA like height and weight do.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back