• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical fails may climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The elephant party has its share of blame (creation of DHS [it even SOUNDS ominous]) but it certainly got accelerated during the past five years.

True statement here. I remember after 9/11 a comment by Al Gore (no I am not a big fan of his) . He made the observation that the loss of personal liberties in reaction to the terrorist attacks was a greater threat to America than the terrorists were. I thought he was nuts, but in retrospect, I see what he meant.
Gore making this claim is like a lion complaining about hyenas.

I wonder if even the threat of this may make operations somewhat unsafe. Guys will be cutting weight, binge dieting, using weird weight cutting drugs, and working out way too much in an effort to crash diet before their next medical.

Screwy diets and over exercise will really make you tired. Couple that with our f'd up schedules and guys will be napping twice as much as before.

Wasn't that JB guy who went crazy on some strange liquid only diet?

Again, good work Mr. Faa medical guy. As if their is not enough to worry about in this career. Just another case of some "professional" making rules about something they have never done in real life.

Last edited:
Not to mention that if the FAA gets away with bypassing the NPRM process, they could decide to implement whatever they wish, rather than being limited to enforcing rules passed by congress.

Not to mention that if the FAA gets away with bypassing the NPRM process, they could decide to implement whatever they wish, rather than being limited to enforcing rules passed by congress.

Yup.

And LearLove missed another likely consequence- fearing carbs, Pilots will forgo beer and switch to the hard stuff!

:D

But when they want to slow roll an issue, they follow the rule making to a T, with proposals, Congressional hearings, comment period, repeat. New fatigue rules effective Jan 2014, five years after the Feb 2009 accident that precipitated them.

Follow the money as the saying goes. http://www.sleep4safety.com/aviation/

Fusion Health.....a company co founded by a Dr. Jeffrey Durmer, Co-Founder and Chief Medical Officer of Fusion Health, and Sleep Medicine Counsel to the FAA.

http://www.fusionhealth.com/who-is-fusionhealth/management-team/jeffrey-durmer-md-phd/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mf3CPfsxpI

Classic "I have an expensive solution that will make me rich......now to find that problem" Now let's start with rich fat pilots and expand it to every pilot so we can justify testing every truck driver in the US!

Last edited:
"His CBA covers the LOSS of his medical"

Yes... that's a good thing and many CBA's do cover loss of medical and/or loss of license.

Specific Insurance policies can be purchased individually or provided by CBA to cover one or both.

Generally, LTD policies do not cover either of the above situations.

Apnea is not considered "disabling".

Whine

Not so fast there overzealous Medical chief says congress: http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th/house-bill/3578

Bill has Bipartisan support.
Nice find, jetjockey!

H.R.3578 - To ensure that any new or revised requirement providing for the screening, testing, or treatment of an airman or an air traffic controller for a sleep disorder is adopted pursuant to a rulemaking proceeding, and for other purposes.

Latest resources

Back