• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical fails may climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds pretty consistent to me. Thanks for posting.

Real safety issues should be addressed. Fantasies should be dismissed. Age 60 was a fantasy promoted by those who felt they needed some artificial construct to protect their career advancement.

What is your fantasy, Andy? That you force everyone to suffer as a personal vendetta?

Have you heard me complain about diabetes testing or EKG requirements? Sleep apnea is a very subjective diagnosis. If a pilot checks the box that he does not have a disqualifying condition, then that should be sufficient.

To subject a particular group that MAY suffer from a disqualifying condition to extra testing without any pre-existing symptoms should alarm everyone. Are they going to demand stress tests of all middle-aged white men? How about in-depth diabetes testing requirements only for blacks because of the higher incidence of that disease among that population?

Nice try Andy, but the retirement age issue applies to everyone and a sensible change was made. This new "Guilty until proven innocent" policy does little more than unnecessarily subject pilots to a loss of livelihood without a shred of added safety.

Again (what is it now, 3 times) what drives your support for onerous medical requirements that do not enhance safety? You still can't answer, can you?

What are you so worked up about? Don't you have disability coverage in your contract? Pull my medical for all I care. I'll be more than happy to collect 2/3 income for doing absolutely nothing.

This may hurt GA more than it hurts us (prof. pilots). As pilots who make their living flying we are more inclined to jump through the hoops to get approved if diagnosed. However Joe GA pilot wheather he rents a 172 or owns a Bonanza probably won't want to put in the effort or money to get his/her medical approved with sleep apnea so they'll just take their money and toss it at boats instead of airplanes.

A Bonanza owner that flies 50 hours per year pumps about $10K (if not more) into GA related businesses between fuel, MX, hangar and insurance. Way to go ****************************** bags at the FAA. You're so smart you're going to regulate yourself right out of a job.

Last edited:
What are you so worked up about? Don't you have disability coverage in your contract? Pull my medical for all I care. I'll be more than happy to collect 2/3 income for doing absolutely nothing.

I'm guessing Harvey Watt has sh1t an egg roll

Why, exactly?

The BMI issue is just a starting point. Eventually every pilot will have to undergo this testing and perhaps be forced to wear a CPAP mask for the rest of their careers. I understand the parallels with EKG testing, but sleep apnea is very subjective and with enough pressure from CPAP manufacturers on AME's, many pilots will be stuck wearing one every night for 20 or 30 years.

And should you want to eventually fly under Sport Pilot rules without a medical, you may find this puts that in jeopardy. Going to look for another flying job overseas. The Special Issuance you may require could disqualify you from many jobs.

Sleep Apnea is not caused by being fat. And losing weight does not necessarily make it go away (most of the time it doesn't). It does come on generally in later middle age and maybe you just have a grudge against older pilots. I hope you get the chance to become one some day.

But I don't share your enthusiasm for something that adds very little safety benefit, but comes at potentially a very high cost.

I agree with you

Which is what most of us anti-age 65 were saying
Increasing the age will come with tighter medical restrictions

Thanks gummers

Increasing the age will come with tighter medical restrictions

Thanks gummers
Which is occurring after those who windfall benefitted from it are retired, and not subject to the greater restrictions. They got the unexpected five years while the rest of us stagnated and then due to beauracratic lag time also get the tougher rules. They left with the bag of cash, we're just left holding the bag.

Last edited:
Yep.

And they DO NOT CARE

There is only one way to treat the boomers-
They've left all of us in a worse spot- f^ck em and start looking out for ourselves-

Remember they did this by getting involved- so we have to now

What percentage of the inflight incapacitations in the last 6 years involved pilots over 60?

2 out of 3 CAL pilots that died in flight were. The one that was under 60 was before the rule changed. Does being dead meet your criteria?

Last edited:
2 out of 3 CAL pilots that died in flight were. The one that was under 60 was before the rule changed. Does being dead meet your criteria?

Please do not confuse Bringupthebird with facts. He likes living in a fact free bubble. Guys like him believe that pilots who are 60+ are healthier and less of a risk than pilots younger than 50. Good luck trying to have a factual conversation with him.

All pilots will see tightening medical requirements over time. While age 60+ pilots increase the risk of inflight incapacitation and performance decrement, the FAA isn't going to single them out; every single pilot will face tougher medical standards. Just like TSA doesn't profile certain higher risk groups - everyone's subject to pat downs at airport check points. No age discrimination allowed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back