• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Medical fails may climb

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What bothers me more than all this is half the time on the flight control check before take-off, the yoke is blocked by the other guy's belly (this is on the 737). I think you should pass your medical if that is the case. (I think it happens about 25% of my flights, estimating conservatively)

I recently had to wear the mask for 5 or so minutes for a simulated rapid depressurization during a sim event. We were made aware it would be coming and given a chance to clean out the mask before hand. Even so the air in the system was disgusting and I spent the next 10 days getting over cough and chest congestion. It would be nice if the FAS would step in on issues like that equally.

I would venture that nobody passes a sleep study.
Here's some details
http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Medical/Medical-Certification-and-Conditions/Sleep-Disorders/Sleep-Apnea-Evaluation-Specifications.aspx

Of course no one will pass. They need to justify the testing and will do whatever is necessary to validate their assumptions.

And on the remote chance that you do pass, if your BMI is within the required testing range, you'll have to test again every 6 months until you do fail.

When your freedoms are treated like monopoly money, no one will mind giving them away.

What bothers me more than all this is half the time on the flight control check before take-off, the yoke is blocked by the other guy's belly (this is on the 737). I think you should pass your medical if that is the case. (I think it happens about 25% of my flights, estimating conservatively)

So you fly with short pilots, eh?

When your freedoms are treated like monopoly money, no one will mind giving them away.

Age 60 was as free as we were ever going to be. Think of how many pilots finished at the airline and went on to fly another 20 years. Freedom takes responsibility, ours was to abide by 60, and a minority of us weren't up to it.

You can retire whenever you wish, but once they clamp the CPAP machine on, it's there for the rest of your career.

There is a distinct difference between being forced to take a test for a condition for which you have no symptoms and which jeopardizes your entire career, and being granted the freedom to fly an additional 5 years if you so choose.

Sorry Flop, Age 60 is a Apples-to-Watermelons comparison.

Last edited:
It is not too much of a stretch of the imagination for the government to monitor compliance with treatment for pre-existing conditions as a pre-requisite for future government health care coverage. Cheating on the CPAP could cost you dearly, even if it's not the least bit effective.

There is a distinct difference between being forced to take a test for a condition for which you have no symptoms and which jeopardizes your entire career, and being granted the freedom to fly an additional 5 years if you so choose.

Sorry Flop, Age 60 is a Apples-to-Watermelons comparison.

Much is "granted", much is expected. I don't agree with this OSA witch hunt either, but it's the first of many things pilots like you have brought down on us. I'm sure you'll never understand the big picture, just try not to screw up anything else please.

You're forgetting to hollar, "suck it in" before you do the check. Now if we could just get the bald bastards to put a hat on and get the sleazy ones to not show everyone their BOG girlfriend pics we might be making some headway.

Latest resources

Back