MDA/CHQ Transition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kngarthur

I can end this once and for all. If the situation was reversed, do you think MDA would let CHQ guys come in with "super-seniority"?

Is MDA doing contract flying for CHQ? Is CHQ doing flying for US Airways Group? Are the MDA pilots former US Air folks? Get a clue.

mullet said:
Is MDA doing contract flying for CHQ? Is CHQ doing flying for US Airways Group? Are the MDA pilots former US Air folks? Get a clue.

Who cares, They are separate airlines with separate seniority lists. The fact that CHQ or Republic have a contract with US Air does NOT give any USAir pilot or MDA pilot any right to anything at CHQ or REP and especially not to super seniority

I think it is you who needs to "get a clue".

[No, I don't work for CHQ or REP]

Not all the MDA pilots are from the APL (ie former USAir).

surplus1 said:
Who cares, They are separate airlines with separate seniority lists. The fact that CHQ or Republic have a contract with US Air does NOT give any USAir pilot or MDA pilot any right to anything at CHQ or REP and especially not to super seniority

I think it is you who needs to "get a clue".

[No, I don't work for CHQ or REP]

The fact that CHQ and Republic having a contract with US Air does
give any US Air pilot or MDA pilot the right to something at CHQ or REP and gives them super senority. J4J already exists at CHQ. Unfortunately if you fly for US air express nowadays you have to make the deal with the devil. If you still want their flying, you will still have to give up things up. Making comments that we should think about it being the other way around is dumb. It is US AIR group flying now, not REP. Ease up there hardliner. I dont fly for CHQ REP or MDA.

Last edited:
Okay, time to stop lurking and jump into the fray.

It amazes me how people can spin facts to fit whatever suits thier purposes. Pilots seem to be rather adept at this. Heres the way I see it...

There is a big difference between giving flying to an affiliate carrier and giving flying AND mainline aircraft to an affiliate carrier. The later is what is occurring at MDA. In fact, we should call it US Airways because "Mid Atlantic" doesn't even really exist, except as essentially a "C" Scale for furloughed mainline pilots and FA's. This situation with the EMB-170s is in essence no different than transfering the A330 flying to Republic. The size of the airplane should not make a difference, only that a pilot group is getting screwed at the pleasure of management.

The only technical grey area here is the fact that the MDA pilots are in a black hole in terms of union representation. They are part of the US Airways APL, therefore they are US Airways pilots, yet there has not been an agreement yet on what CBAs, if any, cover these pilots. IMHO, this move to place the aircraft at Republic may be as much about avoiding additional "costs" associated by whatever contractual protections the MDA pilots might earn as is about the cash infusion offered by Republic. If that is the case, then union members of every ilk should be mortified... Or maybe we are going to do the typical pilot thing: "I got mine, f*ck you."

I have seen time and time agian on this forum CHQ pilots say, "Hey, I not responsible for the decisions management makes. I just fly what they tell me to." Well, this time it IS a labor decision. This is no different than EMB jets being taken from you and given to another company. "Ah but we have strong scope and successorship language" you say? Wasn't that the song sung by mainline pilots not so long ago? Those who don't know history... Well, you know the rest.

Republic pilots: Would it really be that bad to take on 300 MDA pilots? Even if it was date of hire (which it would never be, some sort of equitable shuffle is more likely) it would maybe delay your precious upgrade a whole three or four months? I thought you were the fastest growing regional? Aren't there more EMB-170's coming on the UAL side? Besides, if things work out at US Airways all those MDA folks will be gone soon just to cover the retirements at the mainline. In short, don't be a bunch of short sighted, high-on-new-jet-smell snobs.

Okay, lemme have it!

Last edited:
What I dont understand is how many pilots are flying for REP today?

If MDA was getting absorbed by the CHQ 121 certificate, I could understand the "super senority" battle cry.

How can CHQ 121 cerificate pilots work for a new unissued REP 121 cetificate ask for their CHQ date of hire when in fact they will be working for essentially a new airline? How that for spin?

If a CHQ pilot gets transfered/new hired to the REP certificate, will they have to go through REP indoc and some form of training? Sign new 2 year $15,000 training contract for the new company?

Rumor has it that a indoc/ground school class of 5 from MDA will start REP on Wednesday. Any confirmation from the pilots at the CHQ little red schoolhouse?

That info is true... Plus those at MDA that have now passed on REP will NOT recieve a second chance. The CHQ J4J language does not allow for second chance", Its a take it or leave it deal. Remaining positions at REP will be filled by pilots on the CHQ seniority list!

Latest resources

Back