MDA/CHQ Transition

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FR8mastr said:
Because he wont be old enough to get his ATP. Nice try junior why dont you come back when you have a clue.

For someone with so much experience, you don't seem to have a clue... Not everyone at Republic Airways Holdings is a young kid. This is my third airline and STILL very little PIC time. I'm at the bottom of this list trying to get the time I set out to get 7 years ago.. I have a lot of experience and DO NOT think I am better than any other pilot. Even these "young guys" at this airline. They were here FIRST and they should get there before me, that is the way the system works. I will do my JOB no matter how "lucky" that young Captain may be, that's what matters. I am not bitter at my new younger pilot group, but rather the punk a$$ management from my other airlines. I have now starting over at CHQ and am happy to be on THERE list. So everyone shut up and UNITE AND FIGHT management, NOT other pilot groups. Get on the bottom of the list or don't, I did.... No pilot is special or more desirving of anything. Management must sit in there big homes and laugh at how pilots act like 6 year olds in the sand box fighting over a bucket.

You missed my point. What I was trying to say was with the number of pilots at CHQ and the number of AC coming they are going to be bringing people on to fill the spots, these people will be in all probability be young flight instructor types just getting into the industy. Being such they are probably young. No offense to anyone, we all were young and we all started somewhere. I just think some consideration should be given to the old high timers that have been abused for so long. Especially since the contract that allows all this growth at CHQ protects these pilots. by the way I am very junior at my airline.

Last I heard Chq was hiring mostly 135 guys, charter, and other 121 pilots (ACA) to occupy the E-170. Most of the flight instructors are going to the 145. I guess most of the older military types don't want to come to a regional.

Point taken... The kicker to the mess in this industry is the idea of senority itself. It is ironic that pilots fight for it so hard for it, only to have it bit us in the a$$ when times are bad. I see senority as the more money a pilot makes for an airline, the more benifits he gets from it. ie upgrade, better sed. and more money. Problem is when an airline goes under, the pilots affected don't want to "start over" at the bottom of a new carrier. Most pilots, myself included, feel that our efforts at one carrier sould be taken into account at another. However the pilots at the other carrier see it as, I have been at this carrier longer and deserve more than the new guy. And as I see it, they are right. It is a double edge sword. We protect our senority at the carrier we are at, but expect another pilot group not to protect theirs when we come over. It will never happen, but a national senority list is the way to go. We should not be connected to our carrier, but to our profession. If another guy has been dlying longer than me, he should have more senority. We all have strips on our shoulders and all want the same things. As long as we flight for the colors on the aircraft instead of our profession, we will never move forward as one unified group... Just my thoughts, might be full of crap, but makes since to me.....

It seems that alot of people have posted above without any concept of the real legal definitions of what is involved with Republic Airways Holdings buying aircraft from US Airways. The first distinction is that there is no Mid Atlantic. No certificate = No airline. The second is that Republic airlines is a start up cert/airline of Republic Airways Holdings. Third, all Republic Airways holdings flying is done by the CHQ pilot list per a binding letter to the parent (i.e. Republic Airways Holdings). Republic Airways Holdings is buying AIRCRAFT, not an airline, not a certificate, not a name or brand. As such we are not obligated to take A SINGLE PILOT from MDA(US Airways). Brian Bedford (CEO) has offered j4j under our previous letter authorizing j4j up to 32 aircraft. That is not required. I think he is doing it to save on training and hiring costs. If the pilot group at CHQ (yes CHQ as it is one master CHQ pilot list) accepts, then we will take half of the pilots from mda and staff the other half from CHQ. All of the people from MDA will go to the bottom of the CHQ master pilot list and 50% of them will be in the left seat.
The only way all of the pilots from MDA/USAirways would come to the CHQ master list is if the current J4J protocal was changed via ratification (vote) by the CHQ master pilot list. I can tell you that from my, albiet unscientific, survey this will not happen without an increase in the number of aircraft in the deal and then only as they come on property. We will not accept just a promise of future aircraft. Rant all that you want. Everything but my opinion stated in the last two sentences, and my mention of my guess as to BB's intentions, are facts.

FlyingDawg said:
These are already answered in our contract. One seniority list for all three airlines. We are employed by RAH and work at the respective subsidiary. This is what our last contract was all about; controlling all the flying at our holding company! They can't farm it out to anyone. Just think how different things would be if the majors had the foresight to include this in their contracts.

Well the MDA/USAirways pilots had LOA 93 in there contract also.
Do you think this LOA 93 was not known by REP management before MDA was bought/ change of control? Why doesn't REP just say all MDA pilots can go to REP as staple? Why only 50%? I'm sure by this board 50% of the pilots will not go to REP if this is offered and this problem is solved.

The big prize isn't REP/CHQ for MDA pilots this is only a piece of the puzzle.

You're kidding me right?

FlyingDawg said:
These are already answered in our contract. One seniority list for all three airlines. We are employed by RAH and work at the respective subsidiary. This is what our last contract was all about; controlling all the flying at our holding company! They can't farm it out to anyone. Just think how different things would be if the majors had the foresight to include this in their contracts.

I'm guessing you haven't been around long, so I'll be gentle. The majors DO have scope language in there contracts, it's just been relaxed to allow you to fly your pretty RJ. They had plenty of foresight, it's just that over the years the quality of the contracts has been severely eroded. Used to be that regionals couldn't fly anything bigger than a mid size turboprop... Were you born yet then?

Your quote sounds just like the US Airways pilots of the mid '90s; "Our flying will never go away! We have iron clad scope!" As I said before, those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it!

FrustratedCFI said:
It seems that alot of people have posted above without any concept of the real legal definitions of what is involved with Republic Airways Holdings buying aircraft from US Airways. The first distinction is that there is no Mid Atlantic. No certificate = No airline. The second is that Republic airlines is a start up cert/airline of Republic Airways Holdings. Third, all Republic Airways holdings flying is done by the CHQ pilot list per a binding letter to the parent (i.e. Republic Airways Holdings). Republic Airways Holdings is buying AIRCRAFT, not an airline, not a certificate, not a name or brand. As such we are not obligated to take A SINGLE PILOT from MDA(US Airways). Brian Bedford (CEO) has offered j4j under our previous letter authorizing j4j up to 32 aircraft. That is not required. I think he is doing it to save on training and hiring costs. If the pilot group at CHQ (yes CHQ as it is one master CHQ pilot list) accepts, then we will take half of the pilots from mda and staff the other half from CHQ. All of the people from MDA will go to the bottom of the CHQ master pilot list and 50% of them will be in the left seat.
The only way all of the pilots from MDA/USAirways would come to the CHQ master list is if the current J4J protocal was changed via ratification (vote) by the CHQ master pilot list. I can tell you that from my, albiet unscientific, survey this will not happen without an increase in the number of aircraft in the deal and then only as they come on property. We will not accept just a promise of future aircraft. Rant all that you want. Everything but my opinion stated in the last two sentences, and my mention of my guess as to BB's intentions, are facts.

I think it is you that are a tad confused. These aircraft are operated on the US Airways certificate by pilots on the US Airways seniority list. Your pilot group is using a legal technicality to lock the MDA folks out of flying which is rightfully thiers. Would you be singing the same tune if the plan was to shift the A330's over to RAH? I'll bet you would. How about if RAH was going to sell some EMB-145s to another company to operate for them? Your tune would change entirely.

You are using the fact that the MDA pilots have not yet been able to ensure thier contractual scope protections to justify that not letting them onto the property is ok. It isn't. It is selfish and wrong, and smacks of what I am sure is your personal motto: "I've got mine, f*ck you."

All of this over 300 MDA pilots, a virtual drop in the bucket on your list. Sick... Just sick.

sunchaser said:
Point taken... The kicker to the mess in this industry is the idea of senority itself. It is ironic that pilots fight for it so hard for it, only to have it bit us in the a$$ when times are bad. I see senority as the more money a pilot makes for an airline, the more benifits he gets from it. ie upgrade, better sed. and more money. Problem is when an airline goes under, the pilots affected don't want to "start over" at the bottom of a new carrier. Most pilots, myself included, feel that our efforts at one carrier sould be taken into account at another. However the pilots at the other carrier see it as, I have been at this carrier longer and deserve more than the new guy. And as I see it, they are right. It is a double edge sword. We protect our senority at the carrier we are at, but expect another pilot group not to protect theirs when we come over. It will never happen, but a national senority list is the way to go. We should not be connected to our carrier, but to our profession. If another guy has been dlying longer than me, he should have more senority. We all have strips on our shoulders and all want the same things. As long as we flight for the colors on the aircraft instead of our profession, we will never move forward as one unified group... Just my thoughts, might be full of crap, but makes since to me.....

Have you thought about joining the communist party?

LowlyPropCapt said:
I think it is you that are a tad confused. These aircraft are operated on the US Airways certificate by pilots on the US Airways seniority list. Your pilot group is using a legal technicality to lock the MDA folks out of flying which is rightfully thiers. Would you be singing the same tune if the plan was to shift the A330's over to RAH? I'll bet you would. How about if RAH was going to sell some EMB-145s to another company to operate for them? Your tune would change entirely.

You are using the fact that the MDA pilots have not yet been able to ensure thier contractual scope protections to justify that not letting them onto the property is ok. It isn't. It is selfish and wrong, and smacks of what I am sure is your personal motto: "I've got mine, f*ck you."

All of this over 300 MDA pilots, a virtual drop in the bucket on your list. Sick... Just sick.

No! I think your sick, and I think it's selfish for MDA pilots to think that they have "super-seniorty"

Latest resources

Back