• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MD-11 hard landing @ MEX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boeings are much easier to fly and much more straightforward. Douglas engineers have nothing but disdain for pilots. The -11 is overcomplicated and difficult to hand-fly in a crosswind.

Best move I ever made in aviation.

We always say that till we get furlough!

Boeings are much easier to fly and much more straightforward. Douglas engineers have nothing but disdain for pilots. The -11 is overcomplicated and difficult to hand-fly in a crosswind.

I see, thanks. The sad part is I'd still take flying that thing at your previous employer vs. just about everything at my current one.

Glad it's working out for you, hope they hire sometime it the next decade.

So GSXR600, is that a "personal" avatar or off the net somewhere? Inquiring minds wanna know.

"Douglas engineers have nothing but disdain for pilots."

I always enjoyed flying the DC-9. Did you not ever have the pleasure?

"Douglas engineers have nothing but disdain for pilots."

I always enjoyed flying the DC-9. Did you not ever have the pleasure?

My only exposure has been the -11. Airbus builds the most comfortable and ergonomic flight decks. Boeings are the most reliable (although I hear the DC9 had the best dispatch rate at Delta) and the most fun to fly.

And Douglas builds tanks -- I'll give them that.

I'll take the MD-11 over the A320/A319/A318 series in a crosswind on any day.
I really miss flying the "11"...to me it flew like a big CRJ. I love the 'Bus...but during a crosswind it will burn you more than the "11" will.

GP- I wouldn't judge all Douglass designs based on your experience with the MD-11.

All the quirks, idiosyncrasies and handling issues of the MD-11 render it a distant cousin, rather than sibling, to the DC-10. A joy to hand fly.

The bigger problem is that so many companies want to fly the -11 like it's a -10 instead of flying the way MD intended, using the automation and enjoying the ride!

Latest resources

Back