MD-11 FO new hires at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lakehouse

I heard UPS is puting new hires in the MD-11.
What's the good and bad?
What's the latest on the ANC base?
What are the flying schedules like and where do they usually fly?

Anc

>I heard UPS is puting new hires in the MD-11.

Not sure if it's official but HR seem to be hand picking guys with heavy time. They won't be hired into the MD-11 for a while. ANC base doesn't open until Spring '07 and the beginning of the 74-400's won't be here until around then.

>What's the good and bad?

Good if it works out. Bad if they have a hard landing by a newhire.

It will be an MD-11 and 74-400 base. New LOA signed a few weeks ago. 2 hour call out that limits where you can live. ANC Newhires will be on about 54K. (extra $1500 per 2 week paycheck). UPS will pay for your move if you sign up for 3 years. If you don't sign up then who knows how long it will take to get back. Some will love it some will hate it. Commuting could be pretty hard.

Flying will be around the Pac rim mostly. Some shorter trips. Don't expect to see too much of the mainland USA.
GB

Last edited:
I heard (in the cafeteria the other night so take it for what it's worth) that the company is starting to realize the commuting issue. Supposedly they are going to try to make the lines more commuter friendly. The capt. that I was flying with were saying that when the dust settles the ANC thing may be the place to be. Ya never know....we shall see.

Green Baron 737 said:
>I heard UPS is puting new hires in the MD-11.

Not sure if it's official but HR seem to be hand picking guys with heavy time. They won't be hired into the MD-11 for a while.
/QUOTE]

Spoke w/ Phil D. several weeks ago ... they are "concerned" about the experience level of new hire MD-11 pilots and are keen on hiring pilots with heavy/intl experience to fill those positions to the max extent possible. It appears UPS "initially" bases all MD-11 new hires in SDF and will no doubt re-assign many to ANC later (after explaining the $ inducement/voluntary seat freeze).

My understanding is we have new hire MD guys right now or will very shortly (next few weeks).

I applaud the company for recognizing a "potential" safety pitfall with the opening of ANC. Unless the planets realign overnight, there is no doubt that ANC is/will continue to be a very junior domicile operating widebody acft in a demanding environment (intl). They have come up with financial incentives ($ and paid moves BOTH directions) to attract and maintain experienced pilots in ANC in order to reduce the likelihood of a revolving training/experience door.

No doubt some will find fault with the company somehow on this, but I give them credit when it's due. They're addressing a potential experience/safety margin concern proactively in an attempt to avoid an accident.

Oh, and for you single guys ... let's not forget there's like 150 guys for every eligible female up there so mating season is pretty competetive! (go north Mega! ... lose that bum you're planning to marry!! :D )

BBB

I interview this week! I've been to ANC and it's not bad up there. Granted, It's not my first choice but I would commute to Timbuktoo the long way around if Brown offers me a career. I figure get in and change domiciles later with some seniority. My daughter is young and my wife is willing to move so we could survive ANC, for a while anyway. Guess I better learn to fish if all goes well.

Big Beer Belly said:
Oh, and for you single guys ... let's not forget there's like 150 guys for every eligible female up there so mating season is pretty competetive! (go north Mega! ... lose that bum you're planning to marry!! :D )

BBB

I dunno man....I can't see any of 'em being as sweet as my litte sugar dumplin' :p

How can UPS bypass seniority to put experienced guys in the MD-11? Or am I misunderstanding? I'm not trying to flame or bash, just wanted to be sure what is going on.

AA put new hires into 757's flying to South America a few years ago. While they avoided disaster, some of the Captains said it would have been easier solo. The MD-11 is not a noob transport, and you can get into trouble pretty quick.

Added: Just reread the thread. Is the idea that UPS have a few new-hire classes be more experienced than the norm to fill needed MD-11 seats? That would make sense.

Gorilla said:
How can UPS bypass seniority to put experienced guys in the MD-11? Or am I misunderstanding?

Added: Just reread the thread. Is the idea that UPS have a few new-hire classes be more experienced than the norm to fill needed MD-11 seats? That would make sense.

Seniority is not being violated. Perhaps this will help:

Vacancy bids are posted for CAPT, FO, and SO seats on all fleets periodically. When there are insufficient bidders for an FO/SO seat/fleet/domicile the company hires directly into those seats (ex. MD-11). ANC seats are diving junior and will dive more junior in subsequent vacancy bids (rumor has it ANC could eventually have approx 400+ pilots ... now only 100+).

UPS is voluntarily paying new hires heading to ANC an additional approx $20k and paying for their move to ANC in order to attract highly experienced/qualified new hire pilot candidates. Also, they are enticing current line pilots (presumably more experienced than a new hire) to go to ANC for a minimum of 3 years by providing a fully paid move in BOTH directions if you agree to stay for at least 3 years. These items were NOT negotiated per se, they were offered by UPS in the interest of safety to attract as many experienced crew members to ANC as they could. In this case, I applaud the company strongly.

Yes, the company is screening successful interview candidates closely for the ANC slots and seeking pilots with heavy/intl experience. This is not to say they are excluding highly experienced pilots with other backgrounds, just that they are attempting to best match pilot to acft.

BBB

Latest resources

Back