Maximum age of new hires at American Eagle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hobiehawker,

I personally applaud your efforts to keep someone with your description out of this business. At SWA we post a list of all the people about to be interviewed so that if someone knows an applicant with a history of poor character, they can tell the Chief Pilot this person and the story behind the poor recommendation. It is not 100%, but effective. You obviously feel strong enough to engage on this forum and take some pretty personal jabs trying to keep our pilot group strong.

I wish more would do the same. It sure would have made a difference in a few trips I have had in my career.

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in continuing this dialog. Being called pathetic and wishing you would die often times can stop someone from doing something good.

I hope this selfish, unethical person does not work in an industry I hold very deep in my heart. And as you said, some people are just not deserving in what I consider a privilege to be a part of this respectable profession.

I can tell you though, in my experience, that these types who get airline jobs find themselves very alone and unhappy after the initial excitement of being a "big" airline pilot. This is absolutely the wrong career choice for someone who only thinks for themselves.

Dash

Thanks for the mature response Dash Power. And for getting the message. If we had the same system where I work, there would be a good number of us going in to the Chief Pilot and giving an ear full of reasons why not to hire this person.

I have decided that fate will work its way on its own and let Karma take its course. I know I have not burned any bridges but have seen the outcome of those who have. This guy has burned all the bridges and is an island who will may realize someday that he shouldn't have treated others so poorly for personal gain.

Thanks again.

Hobie

The thread is disturbing on several levels. First, the OP "hopes" there is age discrimination so it may tank his enemy's chances at an airline (and anyone else who needs or wants a flying job). Second, he "hopes" to sabotage the enemy's chances when he is obviously no longer a problem to the OP, and is very unlikely to ever be in the future. Third, nobody ASKED for his opinion.

It is very likely that your attitude and efforts will sabotage YOUR future career far more than the enemy's. Remember, aviation is a small world.

I've been in the position of having negative input on the hiring decision. But, the input was based on first-hand knowledge, it was not out of personal vendetta (though one guy still owed me money), and I KNEW that hiring these people would not have been in MY company's best interest, AND, I was asked.

If he is like you say, he will get his without any help from you.

You are not a human resource manager. You won't warn every place that he applies to. What makes AE more special or vital than other companies? You've spouted off for two pages about how bad this person is. If you don't warn the FAA you are a hypocrite. Yes you twitched a nerve, you just like to act like you're important but in the end you haven't the balls to actually do something.

You are not a human resource manager. You won't warn every place that he applies to. What makes AE more special or vital than other companies? You've spouted off for two pages about how bad this person is. If you don't warn the FAA you are a hypocrite. Yes you twitched a nerve, you just like to act like you're important but in the end you haven't the balls to actually do something.

I don't think that the FAA cares about ones ethics and character. If I felt this guy was doing crazy stuff in an airplane without any regard to others safety then yes, I may do something like call the FAA. Along with many others I am certain. I am certain I would not be the first call.

You are confusing the abilities of being a pilot verses someone causing trouble for your company. Again, I have nothing directly associated with this person just knowledge of what he is. And my concern is for my fellow pilots and their companies. It may be difficult for you to believe, but it is true. And again, I am not the only one holding these strong opinions about this piece of work. I would hope your character would understand why this is an issue if you knew what all of us know. It is a real concern.

I appreciate you engaging on this topic but you seem to care more on personal attacks than on the issue itself. Your character is certainly in question also. But I will choose to understand that these types of forums allow people to say what they want and would not normally say to your face. Which is really too bad.

Have a nice day and weekend. (no sarcasm)

Hobie

The thread is disturbing on several levels. First, the OP "hopes" there is age discrimination so it may tank his enemy's chances at an airline (and anyone else who needs or wants a flying job). Second, he "hopes" to sabotage the enemy's chances when he is obviously no longer a problem to the OP, and is very unlikely to ever be in the future. Third, nobody ASKED for his opinion.

It is very likely that your attitude and efforts will sabotage YOUR future career far more than the enemy's. Remember, aviation is a small world.

I've been in the position of having negative input on the hiring decision. But, the input was based on first-hand knowledge, it was not out of personal vendetta (though one guy still owed me money), and I KNEW that hiring these people would not have been in MY company's best interest, AND, I was asked.

If he is like you say, he will get his without any help from you.

Yes, aviation is a small world. And you experienced something and you reacted in a fashion that you term "Sabotaging" a career. The least of my worries is my character against his. So my future is well intact. What seems to be missed by responses like yours is there are MANY others who know this guy and share the same concerns. They are making phone calls, sending emails and trying to get the word out for the sake of sometimes you feel a responsibility to do the hard thing because it is the right thing.

I never said I hope he is discriminated against. I just know how this business works and age can be a factor. I just didn't know if Eagle was primarily hiring younger pilots. Whether you like this fact or not, airlines do at times consider these types of things. I was only asking.

I started this with a general question about maybe age is playing a part in this time of the hiring process. All I have done is address the dialog that has been created by this question.

I know this man will not get to work at some airlines because of his overwhelming bad reputation that he covers with his charm. The details are so extensive but again, if you knew what I knew, you would be just as concerned about him working at your airline.

God help the Eagle guys if he gets hired. That is all I have to say.

You do not work for American Eagle. It is none of your business. I am sure someone could find faults in you (nobody's perfect), so how would you like someone else writing a letter about your faults and character. You had better be prepared to back yourself up in court because what you are doing could be considered libel. Leave it alone and focus on your own career.

You do not work for American Eagle. It is none of your business. I am sure someone could find faults in you (nobody's perfect), so how would you like someone else writing a letter about your faults and character. You had better be prepared to back yourself up in court because what you are doing could be considered libel. Leave it alone and focus on your own career.

I am not writing any letters. I am not on a witch hunt. I am not perfect. I have character flaws.

I would not pick your pocket. But this guy would.

Libel and slander are based on things that are not true. If there was a letter to be written it would be based on MY opinions and experience. But I am not writing any letters.

Once again, and this is important, there are MANY that know and have experienced what this guy is capable of doing. His local reputation is deplorable. But not in Dallas.

I really had no idea how many nerves this would touch. I think it is because of the thought of what if this could happen to me.

I will let this ride for now. It is obviously too touchy of a subject.

If there is the new hiring boom going on right now, no one person will have the power to change fate and this tool will get an airline job. Just not five of the airlines out there for certain. And in the chance that the ones that have been critical of this subject on this particular person on this board, all I can say is, I tried to tell you so.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Fly safe.

In my lifetime the a-holes I have met have been across all age groups. cocky punk kids with attitudes up to grouchy old men with attitudes. a-holes are not limited to age group.

maybe the thread should be retitled "how to ban a-holes from getting hired"

This man HAS tried to sabotage careers. He would cross your line to take YOUR job away from you. There are just some people that create problems due to their own personal gain. This person is a bad man. If trying to keep a person from negatively affecting another is pathetic behavior, then so be it. I would only wish someone would do the same for me.

You are right about the age issue. I have heard some guys getting regional jobs in their forties. But I am more interested on what has been the max age during this new round of hiring after a long period of not.

This truly is not about hatred or jealousy. I am not alone in how undeserving this would be for this man while others may not get what they rightfully deserve.

Hobie,

I wouldn't worry about this guy 1 more minute. If he is as bad as you have stated, he will likely wash out in initial (which will do far more damage to his future career than anything else).

He won't be able to maintain 'perfection' for the whole 1st year he is on probation, either. So even if he makes it through initial and onto the line, he most likely will not survive to complete probation. I've personally seen pilots not as bad as this guy seems to be wash out in at least the last 3 companies I've worked at.

And a note to Dash-power. I don't disagree with the policy at SWA, JB (I believe) used to have the same policy. What I DO disagree with is the candidate NOT have the chance to refute/explain their side of an issue in this case (because some, not all, but some people DO carry vendettas).

Peace.

Rekks

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back