Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
furloughfodder said:
Yeah, this really works.

Did anyone see how baseball arbitration worked for Alaska Airlines last year?

Actually it was a pretty fair deal overall in the long run. Much better than falling on your sword for a corrupt union who laughs at everyone because we are all forced to pay dues or mx fees.

D'Angelo said:
Actually it was a pretty fair deal overall in the long run. Much better than falling on your sword for a corrupt union who laughs at everyone because we are all forced to pay dues or mx fees.

Fair deal?

Alaska: 28-34% Paycut

Polar: 10.5% Payraise

Any questions?

Just one comment

Impertinent comment deleted.
Nothing to add.

Last edited:
furloughfodder said:
Fair deal?

Any questions?

But dude at what cost? A 10.5% increase of nothing is still nothing. That strike happened barely six months ago you don't think this outcome is a net resultant of that action?

No furloughs at Alaska.

This is an honest question

furloughfodder said:
Must have been another link to the 'Caputo the Hut for President' website.

;)
I wouldn't call it a Caputo for President site.

He just seemed to have a befitting message at the right time for the site as I was gathering more proof for my varied BB arguments. I'm just sorry the Slide show that was given to the ALPA Executive Board is so long. Judging from the number of things Polar has done, it has to be. Polar guys can't make it past the first five slides on what Polar has done and quit reading. It's there not so much for Polar guys as for the remaining part of the industry since the Polar group spends sooo much time bad mouthing Atlas to everyone who will listen to them.

I would call the site a reminder or conscience of how Polar's MEC and committees like to use everyone they can up and then urinate on them telling them it's raining. Followed by their usual cry for help when things turn against Polar later on.

Remind me again. Just what joint union agreements has Polar actually complied with that wasn't altered later or requested relief from when they were required to live up to it? Just what has Polar done to help any other Union? Bet that's a short list if any. What has Polar done to help their own find jobs with the recent furlough?

Hopefully this will shame your council into doing something other than blaming others. At Atlas, we got pretty good at helping find our guys jobs while Polar and AACS benefited flying our aircraft/routes.

Last edited:
furloughfodder said:
Fair deal?

Any questions?

Alaska: alive and well no furloughs.

Polar: potential 100% paycut for quite a few pilots for who knows how long. All this while senior guys just sit back and say "thats seniority at least ive got mine"

Any questions?

bman and dangelo,

Okay, I get it. Just roll over and cave in to what ever management offers you during negotiations. It is just plain foolish to go on strike right? The days of airline pilots going on strike for a new contract are over, we should learn to live with the "New Pilot Profession". We should be happy they let us fly their CRJ’s for $22 an hour right d’angelo? At least you are building your mulit-engine jet time.

Don't forget you guys, AAWH made over 70 million last year. They are doing just fine. Our 10.5% raise took less than 1% off their bottom line. If you really think parking the -200s has anything to do with our strike you are very naive.

Remember, no one has received a furlough notice as of yet. I am sure it is coming, but I can guarantee there will be another BIG announcement prior to the end of the summer.

Fodder,

That's not what I said. But you guys were playing a hand of poker with your cards facing the wrong way. I said it then and will say it now the lack of leverage on the Polar side was astounding. I'm mean "struck" freight? So now that's how strikes work? If AA goes on strike and the pax are rebooked by their travel agents, themselves, or original carrier on Continental. CO guys shouldn't fly their airplanes? Better yet use Comar and Delta since they are similarly held by the same company.

I don't have to tell you why it wouldn't work there casue you've seen the result here.

I'm saying when UAL had their famous strike and got those enourmous pay increases they had LEVERAGE!!!

I'm saying a 10.5% pay raise and no other changes (to a fairly well written contract)for a two year duration ain't a reason to walk the line.

I'm saying this was the plan B if no merged carrier and combi contract!

What big announcement do you think is coming?! Do you think they are prettying you guys up for some kind of sale?

By the by on a personal note do you have something secured or are you just gonna hang out till the smoke clears.

Regards
Bman

Striking in todays world simply isnt logical. "Standing up" or "holding the line" no longer does any good. Management has figured out they no longer have to be held hostage by unions. The old days were wonderful. You could just threaten strike and get all these raises and lead a lavish lifestyle. The secrets out. Striking is no longer worth it. Theres always someone else ready to do it for less. No one will fly struck work however passengers can be rebooked, cargo can be rebooked. The days of holding anyone hostage are gone. Thats why arbitration is a good idea. If the company isnt losing money I highly doubt paycuts would be assigned. The arbitrator would determine what the fairest possible deal is using logic and reason. Unions always tend to "shoot for the moon" and waste valuable negotiating time. With arbitration screw the negotiations the union shows their side, management shows their side and you have a deal. I can guarantee there wont be a paycut if the company is making money. Going on strike is pointless in todays world. Its time to revamp the RLA! It served its purpose however its definately showing its age!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back