• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Marines G4

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said cobra and cavemen I understand the reality of not doing infantry just because I wash, but what I'm stuck between is what I want to do first. Infantry or Aviation? I ponder it all day at work.
Lynxman, you will have six months of TBS to make up your mind. Several aspiring infantry guys wanted nothing to do with it after playing 0311 for six months. On the other hand, if you really like it, you can turn in your air contract and put Infantry on your dream sheet. My staff platoon cdr. suggested I do what you are thinking about. I politely declined and wound up as a FAC in a straight leg grunt battalion six years later anyways. The battalion was a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there the rest of my career. Keep your contract for now. If you want to turn it in after playing grunt then so be it. You are lucky that you will have the choice. A bunch of your TBS buddies would gladly take your contract if you don't want it.

So today I got some info that this summer's OCS was all they needed to reach quota. Apparently this means there is a good chance I'm not going to be able to go to OCS in January, at least that's the vibe I'm starting to feel. I feel like I just got hit with a freight train when I got this news. In fact I have to meet up with my oso tomorrow and the rumor has it they might tell me to enlist pick an mos an after that put in for OCS since I'll have a degree. Not to knock the enlisted boots because I have upmost respect for them, but I just don't think thats a good use for me after having gone through college. Like I said I'm not trying to step on anyones feet, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hang in there,talk to your OSO,he will give you the straight skinny.Trust me,I'm sure they will be running at least one class through Q-town in 2010.

I'm hearing a rumor they want me to enlist. My roommate just hung out with the gunny at my oso last night and that's what he was telling him.

There will be no guarantees if you enlist,just PI,the needs of the Corps ,most likely infantry after that.If you want to be an officer,and you want to fly ,pursue those tracks, there has to be open quotas for 2010 sometime during the year. Hang in there. Take your time ,and decide what you want.Best of luck to you. I loved my time in the Marines. PM me if you have any more questions.

Needs of Service

Aaa yes, the ole needs of the service. Used to be class standing had something to do with your selection, but I don't think it works that way anymore.

Last edited:
So today I got some info that this summer's OCS was all they needed to reach quota. Apparently this means there is a good chance I'm not going to be able to go to OCS in January, at least that's the vibe I'm starting to feel. I feel like I just got hit with a freight train when I got this news. In fact I have to meet up with my oso tomorrow and the rumor has it they might tell me to enlist pick an mos an after that put in for OCS since I'll have a degree. Not to knock the enlisted boots because I have upmost respect for them, but I just don't think thats a good use for me after having gone through college. Like I said I'm not trying to step on anyones feet, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Enlisting and OCS have nothing to do with each other. In fact if you are active duty enlisted the competition for OCS is tougher because you will probably be an E-3 or E-4 competing against experienced E-5's and E-6's. Unless the rules have changed I think you need to be an E-5 to even apply for OCS, and that is when they have OCS boards which may be only once or twice a year.

I think you should stick it out. Not everyone that says they are going to OCS actually shows up, so there may be shortfalls and you could get a call out of the blue. Keep badgering your OSO too. If you show you are interested and haven't just given up they may go the extra mile. I had some problems with my flight physical when I applied and was turned down. I filed for a waiver and kept calling my OSO and eventually he went to bat for me first with the Recruiting Distrct CO, who called some Colonel, who called NOMI(?) and so on and so on, and eventually I got a waiver issued. If by mid December you don't hear anything about the January class and are still thinking about enlisting then go Marine Corps Reserve instead of active duty and apply for OCS from there.

Latest resources

Back