Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Proud to serve

CX880,

#3 Go for what makes you happy when you are given the choices available to you after all the chips fall on selection night. The advice I got was: 'pick the coolest thing you can on selection night because it's not necessarily what you will retire in.' That advice was great for me. Remember, you are picking a Mission and Lifestyle, not just an airframe. No matter what you select, you'll be serving with GREAT folks and that is a benefit all its own. Work hard and ENJOY as much of it as you can. The reward is well worth the effort.
Bingo, #3 says it all, no matter what you end up flying, you will proud to part of that unit. In later life you will look back at the first squadron tour as one of the most meaningful expereinces of your life. I wish you best, there is an honor serving that you only understand if you do it.

Click here. Plus the many other vip units they have. No FA18s though.

Yes, you are correct in that the Army does have Gulfstreams. However, for a prospective/future Army Aviator to feel they can attain an assignment as a C-20, C-37, or UC-35 pilot fresh out of flight school or early in their career is lunacy. That is where you are wrong in your advice. Also, Lynx wants to be a US Marine that flies why steer him differently?

Check the May 2009, Professional Pilot (Page 70) magazine article about USAPAT. You'll see in that article that most of the pilots in USAPAT are Master Army Aviators. (15 years after flight school and >2000 hours) with a few tours as Fixed Wing pilots. They are also chosen by USAPAT from a list of names sent to them by D.A. It's NOT a place for new aviators fresh from Rucker.

The Normal Army VIP units (Guard, Reserve, or Active Duty) are also something an Army Aviator sees after a few Rotary Wing assignments. There are a few who've gotten VIP early on but they are by far the exception, not the rule.

Either way this is tangential as Lynx is going to be a US Marine. And he'll do a fine job.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to clear up my post. Now, back to the topic at hand.

I have found most squadrons to be pretty much the same no matter what was parked out on the ramp, and most aviators took pride in whatever mission they were performing. Its all about supporting Marines on the ground, even if its VIP in a Gulfstream.

I will also second what was said about infantry officers. They tend to be pretty sharp guys and dedicated professionals. You have enormous responsibility as a 2LT infantry officer, far beyond not crashing and learning your aircraft. No one expects much of a nugget pilot, but in the infrantry you get a whole platoon of Marines when you are fresh out of TBS. Its one thing to look like an idiot and make mistakes in front of an IP or ATC, its a whole other thing to make mistakes in front of 30 or 40 guys you are to lead into combat.

Well said cobra and cavemen I understand the reality of not doing infantry just because I wash, but what I'm stuck between is what I want to do first. Infantry or Aviation? I ponder it all day at work.

One Bullet Away

Well said cobra and cavemen I understand the reality of not doing infantry just because I wash, but what I'm stuck between is what I want to do first. Infantry or Aviation? I ponder it all day at work.

Read One Bullet Away. A good look at a 2nd LT Infantry Platoon Leader.

I didn't think you could get an infantry gaurantee for Marine Corps officers. I thought selection of career field happened after TBS, unless you're an aviator. You go through TBS then they give you a rifle platoon or logistics or STD expert, etc. My information is probably out of date and as an Airman I didn't exactly note all of the details of the war stories. Anybody with current info care to correct or verify?

Do both, sort of. Become an aviator then request a tour as a FAC or ALO (if they still have those). Too bad the Corps still doesn't have OV-10's. Those guys would often spend up to a year with an infantry unit learning the ropes before they started flying missions.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1995/FEF.htm

Last edited:
I didn't think you could get an infantry gaurantee for Marine Corps officers. I thought selection of career field happened after TBS, unless you're an aviator. You go through TBS then they give you a rifle platoon or logistics or STD expert, etc. My information is probably out of date and as an Airman I didn't exactly note all of the details of the war stories. Anybody with current info care to correct or verify?[/QUOTE

availability of every and all MOSs will always be contingent on the current needs of the Corps. But you are right, there are no Infantry guarantees,only aviation,and MOS selection occurs toward the end of TBS.Thats the way it was done traditionaly.

Latest resources

Back