• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Marines G4

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you for the link it was very informative. Right now my focus is just get myself ready to do my best at OCS. I still need to take the flight physical at Pensacola and to be honest I'm worried about it. When I was at Meps I failed their depth perception test, so my oso office told me to go to my normal eye doctor and get an exam and she said my depth perception was more than fine. So right now thats on the back of my mind and its really bothering me. I hope they do a different test than what meps uses. Any clues to this?

Any more info on this?

Dude, they don't send you to flight school if you fail out of the Infantry Officer Course, it's the other way around.
Brother,in the Marine Corps the infantry is the true faith,everything else is just supporting arms. And I wish the Corps had A10s, something with some real loiter time,to keep the bad guys heads down. Lynxman I hope you get jets. I hope you get those gold wings. That is a dream worth having, worth attaining. The infantry is a calling all its own,and should not be a consolation prize for a guy who can't find the 3 wire. End of rave.

Don't about 80% of USMC pilots go into helo training?

it is a lot but I think the odds of getting jets are better in the USMC than the USN (or at least that was the way it seemed 20 years ago or so)

Brother,in the Marine Corps the infantry is the true faith,everything else is just supporting arms. .

Thank the gods of war for that. BTW, gold wings also qualify you for a ground tour with the grunts. My FAC tour was actually a pretty good time. Helped me get into the Guard. The guys in blue actually respected that more than my flying time. Go figure.

Recon FAC !

it is a lot but I think the odds of getting jets are better in the USMC than the USN (or at least that was the way it seemed 20 years ago or so)

I agree, from what I've seen in the last 2-3 years in flight school, if you did well in primary you were going jets if you were a Marine, even if you didn't want them. If you were Navy on the other hand, my roomate was SNA of the year, rocked primary, commodores list with distinction twice (top 5%), solid stand up guy, didn't get anything on his dream sheet, the only thing he didn't list was P3s and thats what he's flying now. In the Navy it was more of a crapshoot on getting jets, did they have any available that week, in addition to having done very well in primary. Now they have tailhook selection out of primary which takes all of the would have been jet or E2/C2 studs and let them compete in phase 1 of advanced for the jet strike slots. Better system in my opinion, get more people into T-45s, and the studs that really shine go on to F-18s.

Lynxman, don't worry about failing the depth perception test, a lot of dudes do. As long as you can pass a civilian one, you're fine. If you haven't already check out airwarriors.com, it's made up of all Naval Aviators (some AF, Army, and CG too!), some with civilian experience, as opposed to this site which is the reverse.

Also, having lived with Marines for the last three years going through flight school, go aviation. You'll never regret it, and you won't be on the ground wishing you were up in the air, and not be able to give 100% to your job. If you really want to, you can do a FAC tour after your first tour and then live your dream as a ground guy controlling CAS.

Latest resources

Back